Search

Capella Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:11 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Capella Sydney

Sydney's newest luxury hotel, opening 15 March 2023.

First review of the property (might be behind a paywall - try incognito):

https://www.ft.com/content/5be2388a-...1-7756717a4414

Hotel's website.

https://capellahotels.com/en/capella-sydney
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:44 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
So some of the rooms do have Harbour Views?!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Looking forward to my stay in October - gives them a few months to get any kinks out
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A very comprehensive review of the hotel by the Australian.

Capella Sydney review - The Australian
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:51 am

I'd be happy to trade Harbour Views for great service... something that Park Hyatt does not offer currently -- where bean counters rule the operation.
offerendum and outgoing like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
I'd be happy to trade Harbour Views for great service... something that Park Hyatt does not offer currently -- where bean counters rule the operation.
More like a buffoon to quote the Hyatt forum.

Marc is going for history, arts and culture with his new property. It looks like a wonderful restoration and conversion to a luxury, boutique property.
scented likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
More like a buffoon to quote the Hyatt forum.

Marc is going for history, arts and culture with his new property. It looks like a wonderful restoration and conversion to a luxury, boutique property.
It seems the very best PH team members ventured over to Capella, understandably so... PH is pure misery -- need to catch up on the thread over in the Hyatt forum.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
It seems the very best PH team members ventured over to Capella, understandably so... PH is pure misery -- need to catch up on the thread over in the Hyatt forum.
I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to work for Dabinett either.
scented likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I never understood this view-hype. Yes, a nice view is good and some views are a deal breaker (dirty courtyard or wall etc.). But I would never pay high sums for the same room with a view or choose the 2nd best hotel. Especially in cities.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I never understood this view-hype. Yes, a nice view is good and some views are a deal breaker (dirty courtyard or wall etc.). But I would never pay high sums for the same room with a view or choose the 2nd best hotel. Especially in cities.
Admittedly, the PH view and location is worth the hype but Dabinett and the utter deterioration in luxury service has made it a no-go.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The property is getting some global traction. An article from the UK Times.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just booked here on a Virtuoso rate for early December. Will report back once I have stayed. Looks very nice and by all reports the standards are up to if not better than the PH. Seemed a no-brainer at 40% the cost of the PH!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pogonation
Just booked here on a Virtuoso rate for early December. Will report back once I have stayed. Looks very nice and by all reports the standards are up to if not better than the PH. Seemed a no-brainer at 40% the cost of the PH!
This is probably one of the better Capellas for service because of Marc and former PH members.
pogonation and scented like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I recently stayed at Capella Sydney in a Skyview Room and it was a very good experience. The finishings of the hotel and room are outstanding, and the workmanship is top notch. In this respect, it is undoubtedly one of the most luxurious hotels at which I've stayed in recent years. Breakfast was plentiful and great quality, and the living room was a nice place to hang out and grab a coffee. I didn't participate in any of the activities on offer, but the Culturists were always uber-friendly and willing to help. I didn't need them for recommendations, reservations etc, so YMMV.

Hotel staff were very visible, and no one seemed stressed by the high occupancy due to the World Cup. The pool, gym, and spa were also nice, but for me suffered from having no direct view outside (although there is natural light via the glass ceiling0.

A bit surprising is that the room wasn't outfitted with a Toto washlet. Given Capella's background and the increasing popularity of them, I find the decision to just go with an ordinary Toto toilet a bit unusual.

We had a simple meal in Aperture, the restaurant in the lovely atrium on the ground floor. Our burgers and sandwich were very run of the mill.

The hotel charged a 2% credit card fee. This is not unusual for Australia, but I don't recall mention of this made on their website.

As has been noted, except for a handful of suites, the hotel doesn't really have any views. I didn't mind this the first couple of days, but by the third day, I was getting a little tired of keeping my curtains mostly closed so the crane operator across the street wouldn't be peering in. And even if I didn't mind that, there wasn't anything beyond a clock tower to look at. I just was feeling boxed in. Ultimately, it comes down to how much one values a view. My feeling with regards to Sydney is that it is such a picturesque city, whether it be the Circular Quay area with the iconic sites, Hyde Park, or even more distance vistas to the water or various communities, a view is worthwhile and enhances the experience. Of course, to each his/her own.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, but I'd probably cap it at two nights. After leaving Capella, I moved to the recently renovated IC for a few nights. To even compare the quality of these two hotels in the same breath is an insult to the Capella, but I can't deny that as much as the quality of the rooms and services was so much inferior at the IC, peering out my window and just taking in the opera house and bridge, and watching all the ferries was enormously enjoyable, as well as having breakfast on the 32nd floor. The same argument can be made for the PH, which many on this forum and elsewhere have criticized for declining service.

With the new build Waldorf coming in a few years, at least there will be another option in the area, which already includes the FS, Shangri-la, and Crown.
offerendum and alanslegal like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Thanks for the very useful review. I'm keen to try for a night, but want the one room that has a sliver of a Harbour View.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.