Wiki Posts
Search

First Time at an Aman

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
First Time at an Aman

Just started planing for the honeymoon for next spring and we are looking at the Aman in Bhutan. Thinking about doing the 13 night journey through the 5 lodges.

This will be my first time at an Aman. I see that all meals and daily excursions are included. Just wondering if there’s anything I should know or be aware of staying either at an Aman in general or at the Amankora.

Do you tip? How much? Either daily or at the end for the driver and guide? How about housekeeping? And spa?

Do you have dinners in room? Or at the restaurant?

The spa menu online doesn’t have any prices. Do they send you the price list or do you just book without knowing the prices in advance?

Anything else I should know? We are working with a luxury travel agent but I feel kinda silly asking these newbie questions.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Some quick answers, off the top of my head:

1) We tipped our guide (only) something like $20/pp/pd. So maybe... $500 for the 2 weeks. She was an amazing guide, and if I am not mistaken, Amankora will add a 10% service charge to your bill, and that gets distributed to all staff. So it was really just a tip for a special guide that provided extraordinary service.

2) Dinners are... wherever you want! We always ate in the restaurants, but you don't have to. Restaurant. Terrace. Special locations. Your room. This is Aman. Do what you want to do (within reason, as long as that doesn't involve being loud and obnoxious).

3) The only other thing you should know is that you are starting at what I think is the best Aman in the world, and you shouldn't expect the same level of greatness from all other Amans. This is a good problem to have.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ridefar
Some quick answers, off the top of my head:

1) We tipped our guide (only) something like $20/pp/pd. So maybe... $500 for the 2 weeks. She was an amazing guide, and if I am not mistaken, Amankora will add a 10% service charge to your bill, and that gets distributed to all staff. So it was really just a tip for a special guide that provided extraordinary service.

2) Dinners are... wherever you want! We always ate in the restaurants, but you don't have to. Restaurant. Terrace. Special locations. Your room. This is Aman. Do what you want to do (within reason, as long as that doesn't involve being loud and obnoxious).

3) The only other thing you should know is that you are starting at what I think is the best Aman in the world, and you shouldn't expect the same level of greatness from all other Amans. This is a good problem to have.
Wow I had no idea it's one of the better Amans. Now I'm even more excited. And thank you for the tip on tipping. This is very helpful.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SP03
Aman in Bhutan. Thinking about doing the 13 night journey through the 5 lodges.

The spa menu online doesn’t have any prices. Do they send you the price list or do you just book without knowing the prices in advance?
We are headed to Bhutan soon. We were sent the spa and activity menus including prices at the time that we paid for our flights in and out of Bhutan. You will need a lot of paper in your printer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.