FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Rosewood or Belmond? (Luang Prabang, Laos) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2101942-rosewood-belmond-luang-prabang-laos.html)

Xoud Nov 24, 2022 12:44 pm

Rosewood or Belmond? (Luang Prabang, Laos)

I'm planning a three-night stay in Luang Prabang, Laos next month. I'm torn between Rosewood (riverside room) and La Residence Phou Vao, a Belmond Hotel (Mountain View Junior suite). Below my initial assessment:

Rosewood:
+ Feels more luxurious (Bensley design)
+ More intimate (23 rooms vs. 32 at Belmond)
- No gym

Belmond:
+ Better facilities (the pool looks nicer, they have a fitness center)
+ Better view from the room (considering the room category I'm considering in both properties)
- Online reviews not as good as those of Rosewood

The location doesn't matter (both hotels have shuttles to the city and can plan my excursions). Any information to help me decide would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tdiddy23 Nov 24, 2022 1:04 pm

Stayed in Belmond a few years back. Was in the same position, got a good rate at Belmond and Rosewood was pretty new so went with Belmond

You've basically nailed the pros/cons from what i see. Good view, good spa/facilities. Service was off. Food was not good. I think we preferred our more modest hotel in town.

I'd probably suggest Rosewood

check out Manda de laos for dinner.

erik123 Nov 24, 2022 1:08 pm

For me - To walk/bike into town spur of the moment is a big plus and much easier from the Belmond.

Revolution Nov 24, 2022 2:43 pm

I really like the look of the Riverside rooms and suites but they lack privacy as they are facing the reception and restaurant building across the river.

KI-NRT Nov 25, 2022 3:27 am

If it were me.... neither. Not sure what the rates are on the dates you're looking at, but Amantaka is much closer to the center of the action.

Amantaka is far from being among the best Aman properties in their portfolio, but La Residence Phuo Vhao was somewhat dark and depressing, and lacked the intimacy and privacy (similar to other Belmond properties in the region, including Governor's Residence in Yangon) and Rosewood is way too far - you won't get any sense of being in a very nice UNESCO town by staying there, IMO.

Pausanias Nov 25, 2022 4:12 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT (Post 34783506)
If it were me.... neither. Not sure what the rates are on the dates you're looking at, but Amantaka is much closer to the center of the action.

Amantaka is far from being among the best Aman properties in their portfolio, but La Residence Phuo Vhao was somewhat dark and depressing, and lacked the intimacy and privacy (similar to other Belmond properties in the region, including Governor's Residence in Yangon) and Rosewood is way too far - you won't get any sense of being in a very nice UNESCO town by staying there, IMO.

We thought Amantaka was fabulous - wholly part of the historic city, wonderful cultural ambience, great garden and pool. We stayed before the Belmond and Rosewood were born but wouldn't hesitate to return to Amantaka. Makes a great two-centre stay with Amansara in Cambodia.

Xoud Nov 25, 2022 5:30 am

Originally Posted by tdiddy23 (Post 34782569)
Stayed in Belmond a few years back. Was in the same position, got a good rate at Belmond and Rosewood was pretty new so went with Belmond

You've basically nailed the pros/cons from what i see. Good view, good spa/facilities. Service was off. Food was not good. I think we preferred our more modest hotel in town.

I'd probably suggest Rosewood

check out Manda de laos for dinner.

Many thanks for the feedback and restaurant recommendation, very helpful!

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 34782580)
For me - To walk/bike into town spur of the moment is a big plus and much easier from the Belmond.

That was my understanding, thanks for confirming. Rosewood offers free Tuk Tuk transfers between the hotel and the town though, which is also fine for me.

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 34782730)
I really like the look of the Riverside rooms and suites but they lack privacy as they are facing the reception and restaurant building across the river.

Great to know, thanks for pointing this out!

Originally Posted by KI-NRT (Post 34783506)

Thanks for sharing. I also looked at this option but the price is twice the other two properties. Not sure it's worth it. I would normally pick Aman when the location/experience is truly unique (e.g., Amanoi, Amanzoe, Amangiri...).

bearbrick Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Xoud (Post 34782524)
I'm planning a three-night stay in Luang Prabang, Laos next month. I'm torn between Rosewood (riverside room) and La Residence Phou Vao, a Belmond Hotel (Mountain View Junior suite). Below my initial assessment:

Rosewood:
+ Feels more luxurious (Bensley design)
+ More intimate (23 rooms vs. 32 at Belmond)
- No gym

Belmond:
+ Better facilities (the pool looks nicer, they have a fitness center)
+ Better view from the room (considering the room category I'm considering in both properties)
- Online reviews not as good as those of Rosewood

The location doesn't matter (both hotels have shuttles to the city and can plan my excursions). Any information to help me decide would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rosewood is way out of the “centre” ( even w transport) and I am also wary of the so called Bensley design ( the disaster that’s Capella Ubud)
Belmond is up a hill and may not be so accessible if you like strolling out on a whim. Strolling toward the river is nice and relaxing.
Amantaka is certainly nice and charming. Unless you insist on “Aman luxury” I would actually go for the former Azerai LP which is up the road from Amantaka - Avani Hotel LP ( I think ) . Has all the facilities incld a very nice pool. But unsure what it’s like under Avani .

SanDiego1K Jul 25, 2023 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 34783908)
Rosewood is way out of the “centre” ( even w transport) and I am also wary of the so called Bensley design ( the disaster that’s Capella Ubud)
Belmond is up a hill and may not be so accessible if you like strolling out on a whim. Strolling toward the river is nice and relaxing.
Amantaka is certainly nice and charming. Unless you insist on “Aman luxury” I would actually go for the former Azerai LP which is up the road from Amantaka - Avani Hotel LP ( I think ) . Has all the facilities incld a very nice pool. But unsure what it’s like under Avani .

Who has gone to Luang Prabang recently? where did you stay? What did you think?