Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Japan is a country, not a city. I think you should figure out where you want to go since there are good hotels all over the country. Once you have figured out where you want to go, it will be much easier to figure out which hotel you should stay at
I tend to plan my itinerary around the hotels I'd like to visit rather than the cities...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajca
I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto and visited the Ritz for drinks last year. There is a HUGE gap between them.

I found the Hyatt Regency to be most unimpressive. I can't understand where the enthusiasm for the HR comes from but I would never go back there and I'm surprised to hear it considered as a serious option in this forum.

By contrast the RC is stunningly designed and the service excellent. I also feel the RC's location is better.

With the new Luxury Collection property up and running, FS coming and maybe even one day Amaniwa, the future looks better for Kyoto hotels. And maybe some competition will help to bring the RC's rates down.
for RC vs. HR Kyoto, it's a matter of how much do you want or can afford to pay. I don't feel RC is worth 2.5-3x more than HR Kyoto because we don't spend that much time in the room anyway.
Originally Posted by DonJ
I tend to plan my itinerary around the hotels I'd like to visit rather than the cities...
an interesting travel methodology. You should definitely try Aman Tokyo and see how you like it. Maybe the service will have improved (to Aman standards) for spring 2016.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Greeting from Aman Tokyo.

Thank you for your inquiry for next year.

Actually , we can not say exact date for the best time for cherry blossom , the time is different every year .

Usually it is end of March for the season of cherry blossom however we have not accepted reservation yet during these period.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm regards,
First impression from Aman Tokyo - not very promising...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair to them, their reply is correct. Cherry blossom season can vary by at least 3 weeks from advance predictions, literally based on weather in just the week or two before it starts. It would have been nice if it had been said in grammatic English, though.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 24, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

RichardInSF: fine, maybe I was just annoyed by them not accepting my custom yet (and not giving an indication re when they would)...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:21 pm

Since we have some discussion going on Japan: A question from somewhere in left field...

Does anybody have experience traveling to Japan (an American / foreigner) to train in a Dojo with a Japanese Sensei or Karate school?

While luxury accommodations near a Dojo would be ideal, they are secondary to the objective of the trip: refining Karate skills with experienced Japanese teachers.

If anybody has any experience, or ideas where I should look to find such an opportunity, please let me know.

Trip duration will be 10 - 14 days, with the majority of the trip dedicated to learning.

Thanks,

Lark
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their lower end staff might have poor English but Mr. Ryu and his concierge staff can answer your queries better.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Their lower end staff might have poor English but Mr. Ryu and his concierge staff can answer your queries better.
Agreed. I've found their concierge to be incredibly helpful for organising meals, travel and activities. I've used them more pre-arrival than any other hotel I've ever used, due to wanting to visit so many restaurants, and they've been very prompt in coming back to me. It wasn't all sunshine to begin with, but the last few months have been flawless.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
In Kyoto, the RC is the only "true" luxury hotel right now. Not always on par with the Tokyo RC, but definitely better than other hotels in Kyoto. Also in a good location (unlike, for example, Hyatt)

The St. Regis Osaka - also the only St. Regis in Japan - is excellent. Opened a few years ago and service level top notch. Absolutely the best butler service I have experienced throughout the St. Regis chain. The rooms/hardware is also some of the most contemporary and excellent I have experienced not only at St. Regis but in most other comparable hotels. The hotel is close to Kyoto, so would recommend a night or two here (Osaka is nice, but in my opinion a "mini-Tokyo", so limited sights, hence fewer nights).

In Tokyo, I would opt for Peninsula or Four Seasons. But I like Ginza, so I am probably a little biased, because there are so many great hotels in Tokyo in all the neighborhoods.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I like the Hyatt Kyoto, though I see two who are more expert on Hyatts in Japan than me who haven't mentioned it. MikefromTokyo and RichardinSF, what is your recent experience?
Location sucks but suites are terrific if you book at the top end. Feels a bit like a crowded airport hotel upon entering. Not a big fan of the layout of the property at all, but the suites overlooking the Japanese garden in the back are wonderful. I wouldn't return as the location is really bad but I have no complaints.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
Location sucks but suites are terrific if you book at the top end. Feels a bit like a crowded airport hotel upon entering. Not a big fan of the layout of the property at all, but the suites overlooking the Japanese garden in the back are wonderful. I wouldn't return as the location is really bad but I have no complaints.
It's not HR Kyoto's fault that they're consistently full. I've seen it busy too but most major hotels at peak periods are the same way. Probably a good sign if a hotel is busy vs. barren quiet.

I dislike the layout of the hotel as well but it's a renovation of an older Japanese hotel. I just book specific rooms I can live with or like (1106, for example) and deal with it. Not to say we spend much time in our hotel room anyway. Always out and about in Kyoto .

HR's location. People always hate on it but there are not any Kyoto hotels with "location". Granvia at Kyoto station if you need quick station access but that area has nothing else around. RC is near Nijo-dori (Imperial Palace) but you're still going to have to take a cab to any of the major shrines and temples. Closest within walking distance is the Heian shrine.

I actually like to walk to Kiyomizu-dera from HR Kyoto and same with Tofukuji. it's actually walkable from Kyoto station as well. Up the street, turn right on Shichijo-dori and walk about 1 km. It's actually one of the best hotels if you're driving in from KIX as well because just down the road is the Hanshin expressway.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I like the Hyatt Kyoto, though I see two who are more expert on Hyatts in Japan than me who haven't mentioned it. MikefromTokyo and RichardinSF, what is your recent experience?
I agree with RichardInSF's comments. I think that while Ritz-Carlton Kyoto is a better hotel, the Hyatt offers better value.

If money is no object, or if it were a first time visit and/or special occasion the R-C would be the better choice and the more memorable hotel.

I go to Kyoto mainly for the restaurants and to visit cultural sites, so for me the Hyatt is the best choice. I would rather spend the money at fantastic restaurants than stay at the R-C at its high rates.

In Japan the newest hotels tend to command high rates for the first few years. With any luck rates at Ritz-Catlton Kyoto should be more reasonable in the future, especially with the opening of the new Four Seasons property. I might choose R-C at double the price of the Hyatt, which would be a reasonable premium, but would hesitate to pay much more than that. There are countless other places in the world where I would much rather spend $1k per night than in Kyoto.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

If money is no object, or if it were a first time visit and/or special occasion the R-C would be the better choice and the more memorable hotel.

In Japan the newest hotels tend to command high rates for the first few years. With any luck rates at Ritz-Catlton Kyoto should be more reasonable in the future, especially with the opening of the new Four Seasons property. I will choose R-C when it costs perhaps 50%-75% more than the Hyatt, which would be reasonable considering the larger room size, riverside location, and the newer condition of the property. I will not pay double or triple the rate of the Hyatt. There are countless other places in the world where I would much rather spend $1k per night than in Kyoto.
I'm the same way. I shudder because even Hyatt is getting overpriced for what it is too.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:34 am

Having been to all three - RC Kyoto, Hyatt and Granvia, can't say I have find a good choice for Kyoto yet. The one hotel I want to try is Hoshinoya but it is more a ryokan and quite out of the way. Amongst these three, I would go for Granvia for convenience but it won't qualify as a luxury hotel.

RC Kyoto has great service but is extremely over-priced. When I am in Kyoto, I enjoy exploring the city and that means out and about all day with dinner at a nice place outside. Just can't bring myself together to spend US$1k for a night at a hotel that I won't use. I also don't like the design especially the lobby which feels like walking into a dark subterranean dungeon. The rooms are fabulous though especially the ones with a little balcony that you can sit outside and watch the river.

Hyatt is OK but the rooms are tiny if you are not in a suite. There is nothing in the area and unlike the RC, there aren't even much shops to look at if you decide to walk into town.

Granvia is very convenient right on top of Kyoto station. Easy access to trains, buses and Yodobashi camera. Certainly not luxurious though, at least not what would be considered luxurious in this forum.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm the same way. I shudder because even Hyatt is getting overpriced for what it is too.
I revised my post to say that I might pay as much as double the price of the Hyatt (under certain circumstances), but I cannot imagine paying more than that for any accommodation in Kyoto.

The Hyatt is more than adequate for my purposes if I just need a nice place to sleep. With some of the meals I enjoy in Kyoto costing up to $500 per person, I cannot imagine choosing to spend more on accommodation if it meant I had less to spend at restaurants.

There are many places where I am willing to spend whatever it takes to stay at my top choice hotels, but Kyoyo is not one of them. Hyatt provides a very good balance of value and quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.