Wiki Posts
Search

Concierge etiquette

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Concierge etiquette

Hi fellow travellers, It may be a silly question but I was looking for your opinions on how early can I "bother" a concierge before a hotel stay.

I usually make previous booking requests to concierges a few weeks (max 2 months) before my stays. But this time I'm going in November to a destination where a film festival will take place during these dates, and I'm afraid many restaurants and places will be very hard to book. Is it reasonable to already ask the concierge to make all the bookings (both at the hotel and outside the hotel), even if there are still 5 months to go? Or should I still wait a bit

Just curious what others would do in this situation
Old May 31, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No problem in my eyes. Only problem could be that many restaurants don't take reservations so far in advance.
United747 and Satie like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I've never waited until a specific timeframe to email the concierge. Managing the request flow and timing is their job, not yours. They should have their own reminders set up to book restaurants, tickets, etc. when the booking windows open.

I know I'm not their highest priority that far out and don't expect responses as quickly as I do closer to the trip, but otherwise they should have no problem handling this kind of thing.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:06 am

I think there should be no problem contacting the concierge well in advance as others have said. My standard practice in Japan for example. However I would say this far out, if you really want to go to a particular restaurant its safest to book it yourself (and often easiest). I've found a good concierge strength is getting you into a place last minute that you can't book yourself, this is where their relationships help, but if its necessary to book a high profile restaurant the day that bookings become available i wouldn't trust that to a concierge desk myself, although i am sure some would handle it just fine.
gudugan likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the inputs!! I think I will ask the concierge to book the hotel restaurants and also an outside restaurant where it’s always very hard to get a table.
for the rest of places, I will book myself directly
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:55 pm

Think of it this way - Travel Agents are frequently contacting the concierge months in advance so why can't the ordinary person? The only reason most don't is because most don't think that far in advance. The only real issue you may run into is that many restaurants, particularly very popular or stingy places, won't open their books that far in advance. You will also want to reconfirm your arrangements with the concierge as your trip gets closer to make sure nothing slipped through the cracks or got lost/messed up somewhere along the line.
Satie likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Small update: I got a reply from the concierge aprox 48 hours later after my mail with all the restaurant reservations confirmed (even though some of the restaurants have not officially opened the booking window for these dates yet). So I guess a good concierge is both able to book a last minute table as well as a (very) early table.

Is reconfirming a few days before the stay really advisable? Again, I suffer from the syndrome of being afraid to be perceived as a too demanding type of guest
Hoyaheel and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Satie
Is reconfirming a few days before the stay really advisable? Again, I suffer from the syndrome of being afraid to be perceived as a too demanding type of guest
I would for sure. I'd respond to the email you've just received, saying you are checking in to make sure all is in order.

And how great that they were able to secure the bookings that you desire this early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.