Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virtuoso upgrade benefits seem to be lacking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
There is conflicting info in this thread. I confess to a fair amount of confusion and wonder if I am a burden to my trip advisor.
The fact that your asking the question likely means your a good client. Again this is inherently the push and pull hotel only bookings cause. The client wants the same flexibility as booking direct, advisors don't want to work for free if plans change...... I think a V advisor charging a fee to get "better" perks (what this thread started on) is crappy, all clients should get the exact same service. But a V advisor choosing to charge a fee for bookings or cancelations/changes is by no means a fraud or someone taking advantage of clients.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by traxtonus
I made two bookings via Virtuoso for Amanjena and Amangani in their entry-level rooms recently. Both instances I was denied upgrades to the next room category due to "full capacity", even though there were vacancies available on their websites at the time of check-in. Is this a case of the hotels not playing ball with Virtuoso or an issue with my Virtuoso agent not having a close enough connection with the properties' teams to secure these upgrade benefits?
I know that most agents will not say this, but at a small intimate hotel like Amanjena or Amangani, most reservations have probably been made with a potential upgrade offer. Upgrades become harder to be secured at these hotels versus larger hotels. The reality is that most guests will have worked with a Virtuoso agent, FHR Platinum, or some other consortia. Also, the pool of people who can afford to spend a minimum of $1,600 per night is relatively small in comparison to the world, so there will be many VIPS, or however you address them. The reality is that if you are a notable person and have booked through Expedia, you will get upgraded first. Plus repeat guests etc.

As someone else mentioned, checking hotel room availability is not always reliable as hotels may show rooms as available even when there are only high-tier suites available. They will typically then upgrade other rooms to open availability. There have been many times for clients or my bookings where I felt upgrades were available but not offered. The best thing to do is review the Virtuoso hotel (not the agent) if you think an upgrade was available but denied. I know that Amex FHR has a similar process, and hotels can be removed if they notice patterns. Now, truthfully, I am not sure that AMAN, not being affiliated with FHR or VIrtuoso, would mean anything for the brand because they are pretty exclusive, but in some other hotels, it has more weight.

In my experience, I have received far more upgrades than I have not at hotels all around the world. I have received multi-tier upgrades, upgrades to club level, etc., without even alerting the hotel that I am an agent. But I understand your frustration, professionally and personally. It might be a good idea for your agent at your next stay to mention this and see if they can offer you a one-time upgrade at the time of booking exception. It never hurts.

Last edited by bwptravel; Jul 8, 2022 at 10:02 am Reason: correct typo
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:58 am

Not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this but does anyone else have hiccups at the time of checkout with the hotel not giving the proper credits etc? It seems to happen quite often to me.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this but does anyone else have hiccups at the time of checkout with the hotel not giving the proper credits etc? It seems to happen quite often to me.
Ver rarely and if it happens it's always handled in a minute. Often my problem as mainly traveling in Europe over the last years is the exchange rate. Sometimes 100$ credit were 60 € (when exchange rate was 0.9 or even more).
RichardInSF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.