Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
What is the attraction of Phuket, I feel its one of the least attractive parts of Thailand, other places have better food, nicer weather ( depending on the season ) better food at more reasonable prices,
better value hotels, way, way cheaper taxis etc etc etc.
I don't say its a bad place, I enjoy all parts of Thailand, but just there are better ones .
Easy - direct flight into Phuket without going through a third flight (a domestic one after arriving in Bangkok). As I said, we're first going to Ko Yao Noi. Hope to see the Phi Phi Islands, Phang Nga Bay, etc there. But have to fly in and out of Phuket so no reason not to experience Trisara or Amanpuri.

Koh Samui is too rainy this time of year. I'm not particularly concerned with value. It's my honeymoon. The concerns here are deciding between rooms that are $1500 vs. $3000. Taxi prices and food aren't going to break the bank. Not quite sure what other beach resorts you'd recommend but the vast majority of 5-star beach resorts I assume are in Koh Samui and Phuket. The only other place really hear much about is Rayavadee. For a honeymoon, I want to minimize a lot of travel. A place like Pimalai seems beautiful but also hard to get to.

I guess I could fly in Phuket, start at Six Senses and then go to Krabi instead of Phuket. I'm curious if people really think Rayavadee / Krabi is a better experience than a place like Trisara.

Last edited by brooklynboy; Apr 10, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:08 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I just had clients do Trisara, then Ritz Phulay Bay and finishing at Amanpuri.

Amanpuri was their favourite (they had a pavilion here without a pool). They really loved Ritz and the area it was in - did a lot of exploring from here. Trisara was their least favourite, but they liked the value here given they had a pool. "Least favourite" came with a disclaimer that it was still fantastic, they just felt the other two were more elevated.
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
What is the attraction of Phuket, I feel its one of the least attractive parts of Thailand, other places have better food, nicer weather ( depending on the season ) better food at more reasonable prices,
I don't say its a bad place, I enjoy all parts of Thailand, but just there are better ones .
I’d largely agree (you’ll almost never see me in Phuket), but nowhere else in Thailand had the volume of hotels at the top end (or at the lower middle, but that’s a separate topic), especially in seasons which rule out Samui.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:29 am
Suspended

Perhaps taking a look at the Rayavadee excursion brochure will help you decide.

Krabi is more natural and suited to outdoor adventure and island hopping than Phuket.

https://www.rayavadee.com/en/PDF-Act...rochure-en.pdf

Be advised it's slow to load
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SojournsOf

Amanpuri was their favourite (they had a pavilion here without a pool). They really loved Ritz and the area it was in - did a lot of exploring from here. Trisara was their least favourite, but they liked the value here given they had a pool. "Least favourite" came with a disclaimer that it was still fantastic, they just felt the other two were more elevated.
Yes , SojournsOf , for those of us in the know and are generous to share this information
Being familiar with these you mention .
A pleasant drive between Puri or Trisara to the Ritz and back to view countryside , etc

As for Rayavadee , mentioned by some , was hoping to stay but been put off by friends who have .. , have also heard that it has been a great disappointment and with sharing the area with day trippers .

For those not wishing for the best on their visit and are happy to “ settle “ , they at least have the best to look forward to on hopefully their next visit to HKT . There are anniversaries and milestone birthdays to celebrate
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:44 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Easy, actually. Unless you're chartering a yacht or similar, I can't think of other places in Thailand that have the same level of combo of luxury combined with a nice, quiet beach. And also because it combines with or can be a part of an itinerary combining places like Yao Noi or Krabi etc.
Also, and maybe this is going off topic a bit, but I found that the best food in Phuket has largely been at the top end resorts (rather than outside or streetside or wherever), whereas for Koh Samui it's the reverse.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, United 1K, AA Platinum
Following this discussion intently as we are planning a very similar itinerary in July for a week prior to the Ritz Maldives. Half of the trouble is finding availability in some of these resorts during this time of year.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Perhaps taking a look at the Rayavadee excursion brochure will help you decide.

Krabi is more natural and suited to outdoor adventure and island hopping than Phuket.

https://www.rayavadee.com/en/PDF-Act...rochure-en.pdf

Be advised it's slow to load
Thanks. We've considered Rayavadee but are put off by stories about the beach and sounds that carry from others. We're leaning towards Six Sense Yao Noi (for access to the bay / Krabi) and then either Trisara in Phuket or Rayavadee. The excursion list here seems similar to what's offered by Six Senses (much more outdoor-adventure oriented). We'd like to to go to the Phi Phi Islands and some islands around Krabi, scuba dive, and kayak.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:59 am
Suspended

Rayavadee beaches are beautiful but yes, public access. That said, during my last two visits the interlopers were well behaved and seemed to consist largely of beautiful French models
so it wasn't as irritating as it might otherwise have been lol. With covid restrictions ending the crowd might degenerate a bit. For activity and excursion options it can't be beaten.

I found the remoteness and privacy of www.pimalai.com to be supremely relaxing. A huge private beach and it's very close to Phi Phi and other island excursions.

The price of isolation is a transfer from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta requiring 2 hours of land and speedboat travel, however, a cliffside villa with private pool overlooking the Andaman at the end more than makes up for it.

The ability to have a chef prepare a meal poolside at your private villa is a very nice experience I haven't often seen offered.

In the evening the spa and its surroundings are surreally beautiful. I've yet to surpass that spa in Thailand.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Trying to decide between a Pool Villa at the Siam vs. a Mandarin Room at the MO. Obviously very different hotels but curious to hear thoughts.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by brooklynboy
Trying to decide between a Pool Villa at the Siam vs. a Mandarin Room at the MO. Obviously very different hotels but curious to hear thoughts.
In my view stay at the MO . Besides the hotel, riverside offers lots of advantages as there's a ferry pier which you will want to use.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
In my view stay at the MO . Besides the hotel, riverside offers lots of advantages as there's a ferry pier which you will want to use.
Both hotels are riverside and The Siam runs boats throughout the day. It's further north but not sure I understand the distinction unless you're referring to the specific pier.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:44 pm

Both hotels are riverside and The Siam runs boats throughout the day. It's further north but not sure I understand the distinction unless you're referring to the specific pier.
Apologies. I confused the Siam with the Sukhothai for some reason.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here is a current report about the MO from United747

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34634958-post685.html
obscure2k and United747 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I've seen a lot of discussion about Trisara and Amanpuri but not Ritz Phulay Bay. What can you tell me about it? Is it comparable in comfort to the other two properties? You mentioned that your client preferred it to Trisara.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.