Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflation in the U.S. and escalating lux hotel costs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflation in the U.S. and escalating lux hotel costs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Two brief follow-ups:
1) Supply & demand is what causes inflation. The goods & services that have experienced the most inflation have the most out-of-balance supply & demand. But general inflation is very high (40 year high in the US by official count, which is understated because of how they count real estate)
2) If you want to laugh or cry, I was looking at the Amangani thread from the beginning because I was considering a stay there and people were asking if the rate of $600 was really worth it and complaining about $17 cocktails. This was back in 2009 (I think), but man. I feel like my grandfather complaining about how back in his day soda cost a nickel and he used to have to walk to school in the snow barefoot uphill, both ways!
KatW, offerendum, FlyerEC and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Mexico is becoming unaffordable. Glad I went thrice during the pandemic.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Here's another example: I know that the Park Hyatt Paris is not so well regarded on this forum but I have always been treated well there. Am going to be there for a week starting May 30. When I booked during the pandemic, entry level rooms were E580/night (cheap for this hotel); when I checked today, they are E1,170 (definitely more expensive than any previous peak).
I talked about Paris before. I was between Ritz and FS and wanted to do both (GF didn't agree). In January a Deluxe Junior Suite at Ritz was at the dates in question 2100 € (not too cheap). Now it's 3000. FS by the way had another price change and is now 3150 € per night.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by offerendum
I talked about Paris before. I was between Ritz and FS and wanted to do both (GF didn't agree). In January a Deluxe Junior Suite at Ritz was at the dates in question 2100 € (not too cheap). Now it's 3000. FS by the way had another price change and is now 3150 € per night.
I am getting married at the Ritz Paris in October 2022 and negotiated a block of room rates for my guests. Booked it in October 2020. I negotiated 1050€ for a executive and 1150€ for a deluxe (a roughly 150€ discount per room). Those rates are now 1800€ and 1900€, respectively. Good for them if they can get it!
offerendum, United747 and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:24 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
It's not specific to US either by the way, Dubai - which has been experiencing a serious boom - had some crazy rates earlier over NYE/January, including some ridiculous price hikes due to 'dynamic pricing'.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I am getting married at the Ritz Paris in October 2022 and negotiated a block of room rates for my guests. Booked it in October 2020. I negotiated 1050€ for a executive and 1150€ for a deluxe (a roughly 150€ discount per room). Those rates are now 1800€ and 1900€, respectively. Good for them if they can get it!
I have noticed how crazy Paris is getting as well. Have a stopover for one night in the summer and ended up booking a Seine junior suite at the Cheval Blanc for 1850€ even though I did not find my experience last October to be exceptional because even regular rooms at other hotels cost at least the same if not more...
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:48 pm

The fact that this topic has made it to the luxury hotels forum makes me suspect perhaps the peak has been reached. My thoughts is that the average luxury traveler who didn't travel during the past 2 years puts up with getting hosed for 1 or 2 trips then demand likely drops a bit but who knows. I've splurged on some unique resort/wilderness properties but no way i'd put up with this kind of pricing for NYC/Paris etc. Was thinking of spending some time in Provence this summer, was going to skip Paris and reading this definitely will. Anyone know if ~$1300USD/night at La Bastide de gordes in peak season is a similar big jump or rates always been around that level?
offerendum and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
River cottages at Montage Palmetto Bluff used to be $425/nt (floating up to $700/nt in April-May) as recently as 2017. Now they’re $3200/nt for half the year. How much of this is inflation versus the lux South becoming every influencer’s dream, who knows. Could also be that the property used to be just these cottages, whereas now they have a main hotel where they can offer up the cottages at a premium to price tier.

I always thought Palmetto Bluff would’ve been perfect for an Aman had they adopted the property when it was just individual cottages. But instead they went the direction of corporate retreats, weddings, and see-and-be-seen Southern lifestyle paradise.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:59 am
Suspended

Some places are absolutely out of control. Entry level rooms at the St. Regis in Aspen are now like $3,400/night BEFORE taxes. These are not big or particularly nice rooms. Meanwhile I can stay at Badrutt's or Kulm in St. Moritz for under $1,000/night.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:21 pm
BLV

It’s a fun exercise I do with checking various hotels’ availability. Two days ago a certain luxury hotel in the south of Italy had the lowest rate in April at €450 and in the matter of minutes it changed to €990 and is now at €1180. Same with hotels in US. Setai, for example, had a rate of $1080 for beginning of May few weeks ago and is now at the lowest rate of $2460 for an entry level room for same dates. $hit is nuts.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:41 am

I wonder if the problems Russians might have in travelling abroad and accessing foreign currencies might soon have an impact on fancy hotels and restaurants? Judging from my own experience there are quite a few hotels in places like the Maldives and the Seychelles as well as major cities that are fairly dependent on the Cossack trade. In a recent Telegraph article this was seen as an unexpected bonus for other travellers.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I wonder if the problems Russians might have in travelling abroad and accessing foreign currencies might soon have an impact on fancy hotels and restaurants? Judging from my own experience there are quite a few hotels in places like the Maldives and the Seychelles as well as major cities that are fairly dependent on the Cossack trade. In a recent Telegraph article this was seen as an unexpected bonus for other travellers.
It may be the case. Otherwise with Seychelles as well as Maledives ending requirement for tests they get more and more attractive for travellers. When Seychelles ended the test-requirement rates for flights from Germany in Emirates F went up. In February it was around 10.000,00 € for 2 people in F. Now it´s nearly 20.000,00 €.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Anyone know if ~$1300USD/night at La Bastide de gordes in peak season is a similar big jump or rates always been around that level?
Didn´t look for a while but from my rememberence in 2017 it is.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Just a data point on this, not substantiated with hard data, but a hotel manager in the Maldives recently told me they averaged about 10% guests from Russia; they did say that certain properties it is much higher, they knew of one (not named) that had 80% guest visits from Russia. We were at Maldives property when the sanctions, SWIFT ban, and Visa/MC ban happened, and they immediately had lots of cancellations.

Of course, there were also a lot of Russia yachts in Male, with more on the way, and alleged bags of cash (literally) to fund things.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:14 am
Suspended

Thailand reportedly sped up the elimination of testing requirements in part due to the loss of Russian tourism, which accounted for 20%-30% of visitors in the last year.

(with total tourists down from 90 million to 275,000!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.