Reload this Page >

June Italy trip suggestions

June Italy trip suggestions

Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Northern Italy summer trip suggestions

Hi all,

Looking ahead to this summer and trying to plan a couple of weeks in Italy for June-July. Would love this group's feedback on my proposed plan below building on all of the knowledge of this forum.

Arrive in Milan
Milan: 2 nights (likely Park Hyatt)
Rent car and drive to Modena
Modena: 1 night (Casa Maria Luigia of Osteria Francescana fame - has anyone stayed here yet? It looks quite special)
Drive to Florence and return car
Florence: 3 nights (torn between St. Regis and The Place Firenze)
Rent car and drive to Tuscany
Tuscany: 4 nights (Lupaia)

Likely will skip Rome as we have been relatively recently. We are meeting family in the south of France after this trip - we may either drive there via the Italian coast, or drive to FCO and fly to NCE. Sort of depends on if there is anything super compelling to stop for 1-2 nights to break up the 6-hour drive between Lupaia and southern France.

Any suggestions? A few more specific questions:

1. Places to add/shorten/remove?
2. Luxury properties on the Northwestern coast of Italy (around Genoa) to break up a 6 hour drive between Lupaia and the Cote d'Azur?
3. Hotel suggestions for Florence or Milan?
4. Must-do stops along the way between Milan and Modena?
5. Thoughts on driving ourselves between these locations (and returning the car while we're not using in Florence)? I am aware of one-way fees, border-crossing dynamics, etc.

As always, thanks to all.

Last edited by callmedtop; Jan 16, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

You may also want to take a look at the FT Italy Forum for suggestions
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:04 pm

between modena and milan cremona is a nice town worthy of a brief stop. dal pascatore is a wonderful restaurant in that region as well

i've been to neither but splendido and grand hotel miramare are luxury options i've considered if we make it to that region. probably best if you enjoy grand dame style hotels as i think otherwise opinions on here have been mixed

i think you are wise to avoid rome in june it will be hot
callmedtop and offerendum like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
In May , we will be , if all goes well as planned , in Florence likely staying FS , for Milan will be returning to MO , Montepulciano at Lupaia ( of course ) , likely Venice returning to AmanCGV , in May , callmedtop .

Like previously will use chauffeur ( s ) MPV recommended by livefromTuscany

Your days at each look alright .
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:03 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If you do want to fly out of FCO after leaving Tuscany, going to Il Pellicano or La Posta Vecchia might help fill a few days.

I'm glad to read such nice continued support for Lupaia
livefromtuscany likes this.

Last edited by ABG; Jan 18, 2022 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:30 am

I was supposed to stay at Casa Maria Luigia last summer but had to cancel, unfortunately. The good thing about staying there is it guarantees you a dinner reservation (which I'm assuming you know if you're looking at it). For your drive to Modena, Parma is a wonderful city. Someone above also recommended Piacenza, which is gorgeous. Both are directly on your route and warrant a stop if you have time.

If you are a foodie, there are obviously a plethora of high-end dining options in Milan. However, we were extremely pleasantly surprised with Viva Viviana Varese. It has a star but is fairly casual and if you like the modern twist that Osteria Francescana offers, you will like this one as well. It was our favorite meal during the trip.

I also agree with the Il Pellicano or Splendido (but not Splendido Mare) recommendations above.

Driving yourself in Italy is extremely easy. Just be aware of the tolls and which lane you need to go through, and of course Italian drivers are a bit crazy. The only other thing you really have to watch out for is you cannot drive in the historic part of town in many (most) cities. This can make it a bit complicated, especially in larger cities such as Florence, but in smaller towns they typically have big parking garages or lots that are well marked. You can also ask the rental car company what the fee is to collect your car from any point. Europcar did this for us for just 100EUR - met the rep right in a parking lot and we were on our way.

Last edited by pstm91; Jan 18, 2022 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:56 am
Community Director Emerita

If you fly from FCO and need a place to stay the prior night, consider La Posta Vecchia. We stayed there in September and absolutely loved it. It was J Paul Getty's villa and is on the water. We loved taking our meals outside.
ABG likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Such good advice pouring in already. Thanks to all. Especially love the idea of adding La Posta Vecchia (though we are headed to the Cote d'Azur right after, so will need to decide if another oceanfront destination is 'worth it'), as well as making driving stops in Parma and/or Piacenza along the way to Modena/Florence.

We are foodies in the most basic sense that we love good restaurants and actively go out of our way to eat at the best places. However, we don't enjoy long tasting menus for a number of reasons (dietary restrictions, quantity of food, time it takes), so unfortunately won't be dining at Casa Maria Luigia and will instead eat somewhere a la carte in Modena. If that makes staying at Maria Luigia not worth it then that is food for thought.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
dal pascatore is a wonderful restaurant in that region as well
Indeed a very nice restaurant, had Lunch there in July (report).
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
. . . making driving stops in Parma and/or Piacenza along the way to Modena/Florence . . .
Major duomos in Parma and Modena of course but for me the main attraction would be the Ferrari museum at Maranello.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:25 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ABG
If you do want to fly out of FCO after leaving Tuscany, going to Il Pellicano or La Posta Vecchia might help fill a few days.

I'm glad to read such nice continued support for Lupaia
As am I
ABG likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
For food, consider Da Vittorio—splendid! It’s near Bergamo, not too far from Milan.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
For food, consider Da Vittorio—splendid! It’s near Bergamo, not too far from Milan.
It's my favorite restaurant in Italy.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:37 pm
Suspended

If you're looking near Genoa, you could detour to Portofino...on the way to the SoF, I really like the Hotel Royal (LHW) in San Remo. Old school.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.