Portugal

Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Portugal

Planning a trip to Portugal in early October. Aiming to spend a few days in Lisbon and then shoot up the coast to Porto or another beach town. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:14 am

Palacio Príncipe Real in Lisbon would be my first choice.

Areias do Seixo up the coast is supposed to be a good option (I haven’t been)
Old Aug 21, 2021, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Try a few days in Comporta.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by AmateurGlobeHopper
Planning a trip to Portugal in early October. Aiming to spend a few days in Lisbon and then shoot up the coast to Porto or another beach town. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Accommodation in Lisbon, Torel Palace. In Porto, The Yeatman.

Another beach town, I would say to go down to the Algarve (Carvoeiro) or the Alentejo coast (Vila Nova de Milfontes).
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In Lisbon, https://www.palacioprincipereal.com/m/ is amazing. Adult only. We were just here a few weeks ago and the property and rooms are gorgeous.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:57 am

It would depend on your age/style/group composition. There are some excellent small hotels in Lisbon. We very much enjoyed Santa Clara 1728. Comporta is worth a day or two with: Sublime Comporta is the top choice there. Also great but maybe not on your itinerary are Six Senses Douro Valley (one of the best in the country) and we also liked Sao Lourenco do Barrocal.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:54 pm
Suspended

In Comporta I can highly recommend the Quinta da Comporta Resort. Just spent a few days here and left very relaxed.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:51 pm

Would love some current recommendations for a hotel in Lisbon this April. It will be myself and my wife (early 50s). First time visit to Lisbon for two nights. We generally like smaller luxury hotels near the sights, with excellent but unpretentious service.

Any ideas? and Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by off2rome
Would love some current recommendations for a hotel in Lisbon this April. It will be myself and my wife (early 50s). First time visit to Lisbon for two nights. We generally like smaller luxury hotels near the sights, with excellent but unpretentious service.

Any ideas? and Thanks
Would suggest:
* https://www.palacioprincipereal.com/ or
* https://www.bairroaltohotel.com/
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: IHG One Rewards & World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by off2rome

Any ideas? and Thanks
I echo the Bairro Alto option above, or perhaps https://www.thelumiares.com/ - part of SLH.

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:39 am

Agreed with Bairro Alto. If you are only there for 2 nights, that will put you right in the center of where you want to be and I've had good experiences with that hotel.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
We've also stayed at Bairro Alto, in both the Deluxe Junior and Chiado suites. As others have said, the location of the hotel is fabulous. In addition, we thought the service to be outstanding and the f&b to be excellent.

I was a little less enthusiastic about the decor and description of the suites we stayed in. The Deluxe Junior, while proclaiming to have a view, had a view only of a building on the other side of the narrow street. One had to open the window and stick one's head out to get a partial view. The space was pleasant enough, but something just didn't click for me, especially given the price. Chiado had a lot more character and was more traditional in decor, but it was on the second floor looking into the square, meaning noise and light in the evening. There were several design quirks in the room that were a bit annoying, and which management was aware of. The hotel's redecoration was finished shortly before the pandemic, and I don't know if I'd label it as a success, but everyone will have his/her own preferences. We also saw the Tejo suite, which was more modern in style. It did have a good view of the city looking down towards the river and bridge.

Lisbon has no shortage of boutique properties, and those mentioned earlier in the thread also seem to be good options.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:20 pm
Suspended

I like Santiago de Alfama. Spent a few nice visits there this summer.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:50 am

-I'd give Maison Albar Monumental Palace in Porto a look.

-Agree on Palacio Principe Real as a great option on Lisbon. It was nice to finally move away from the bland Four Seasons.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:10 pm

Palácio Principe Real looks amazing although when I stayed there at the end of 2020, it was run more like a guesthouse than a hotel (no restaurant, no room service, no evening turdowwn, etc...).

I love the new rooms at Bairro Alto. Opt at least for one of the 3 slightly larger Prestige Tejo rooms ( the 3rd floor one has breathtaking river views) or one of the two signature suites (the Bairro Alto Suite is my favourite). Food at BAHR on the 5th floor is wonderful and so are the views.

I did not use to like the FS at all but it is now a completely different hotel after its recent renovation. Rooms look fantastic, the new outdoor swimming pool is a glamourous addition and Cura, the hotel's Michelin star restaurant, should not be missed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.