Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Booking a Chable hotel—is a travel agent the way to go?

Old May 22, 2021, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Hi! I’m planning a trip to Merida and the surrounding area. I’m very interested in staying at the Chable Yucatán and thought I’d ask if you guys have a recommendation on the best way to book a few nights there.

I’m accustomed to booking directly with hotels or though my Amex—however, I do understand that with luxury hotels sometimes it’s best to use a TA.

I’d love your thoughts on this—thanks!
Old May 22, 2021, 6:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by waxyjax
Hi! I’m planning a trip to Merida and the surrounding area. I’m very interested in staying at the Chable Yucatán and thought I’d ask if you guys have a recommendation on the best way to book a few nights there.

I’m accustomed to booking directly with hotels or though my Amex—however, I do understand that with luxury hotels sometimes it’s best to use a TA.

I’d love your thoughts on this—thanks!
any booking thst Amex does via FHr a travel agent can do better bLM225 has done chable maroma and I know BESVISOR has booked him there
United747 and waxyjax like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you! By doing better, do you mean getting extra value added perks?
Old May 22, 2021, 9:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
My general logic is that Amex is a giant corporation that does not care about your travel experience, but cares how you pay for that experience and the merchant fees they generate
you don't get the personal touch with Amex, especially now with the new online interface to secure 5x membership rewards
others will disagree, especially the Amex CENT crowd
In a property like Chable, with most rooms being the same, you really cannot bank on a room upgrade to the royal or presidential villa
Expectations should be managed no matter what booking channel works for you
Amex does not seem to be marketing the 3rd night free offer, but Virtuoso is, so YMMY on that aspect
obscure2k and DavidO like this.

Last edited by ABG; May 22, 2021 at 4:29 pm
Old May 22, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks—that’s very helpful
ABG likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
By doing better ... a travel advisor will follow up with the resort, communicate your preferences and any special requests to them, and personally ask for an upgrade for you if possible — or at least the best room in the category. Sometimes we get lucky and an upgrade is extended at time of booking ... but our direct request puts you in a priority situation when it comes time for assigning rooms and/or upgrades.

FHR is just a call center. After the call agent makes the reservation in Sabre, she/he invoices it and is on to the next reservation that comes in. But that's the point at which a really good travel advisor is just beginning to work their relationships on your behalf.
Old May 22, 2021, 2:49 pm
Original Member

I would qualify the comments above by adding a GOOD travel agent is an enormous asset. Just now I have one!
United747 and Nizar like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any booking thst Amex does via FHr a travel agent can do better bLM225 has done chable maroma and I know BESVISOR has booked him there
Yep, can confirm this. Booked Chable Maroma with BESVISOR last year, and did so again for an upcoming trip next month. Unless you're getting some giant discount or are a Cent there isn't really a great reason not to use an agent...you pay the same and get more. At the bare minimum, you have someone checking with the hotel pre-arrival to confirm details, coordinate transfers, etc. to make sure things go smoothly. And often, your agent will have a pre-existing relationship with the property, having booked clients there before you.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to close this one as the question has been answered and we avoid travel agent recommendations here beyond the sticky list.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
offerendum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.