Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Cabo thoughts? Chileno vs Esperanza vs Montage vs O&O??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Looking to do a December trip to one of those mentioned above. For those that have been, did one resort jump out to you much more than the others? Current prices for timing of trip are:

Chileno - $807 a night
Esperanza - $863 a night
Montage - $1,100 a night
O&O - $825 a night

Note: Swimmable beach is a must and I believe all four have that.

Thank you.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Esperanza is my favorite but is the only one of those 4 without a swimmable beach. Chileno and Montage are on public beaches that aren't that attractive IMO. They both have very sleek modern designs that embrace the desert.. One and Only has a very tropical throwback style which some may love.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Stayed at the O&O a couple of years back and we did enjoy it.... good beach to walk on.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:51 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Valveking
Esperanza is my favorite but is the only one of those 4 without a swimmable beach. Chileno and Montage are on public beaches that aren't that attractive IMO. They both have very sleek modern designs that embrace the desert.. One and Only has a very tropical throwback style which some may love.
Excellent advice..... OP, your Montage rate looks off from my experience
Old May 20, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Chileno has TWO beaches, one (the smaller) is private. The public beach there is on the other side of the cliff formation. I like Chileno but unlikely to return as it is geared to well-heeled families. The same is true of O&O Palmilla which is muy tipico and reflects its Mexican heritage. Esperanza is a good choice but needs a revamp. Don’t know the Montage.

I am a fan of the Signature villas at Las Ventanas but, alas, the cost is gobsmacking. And, lacks a swimmable beach.

Last edited by KatW; May 20, 2021 at 7:18 pm
Old May 20, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
You might want to consider the FS Costa Palmas on the east cape. I haven’t been but Besvisor went and was a huge fan. It is quite a distance from the two towns of Los Cabos, but if you don’t mind being marooned, it could be great.

Kat is correct. Chileno does have a small private beach. The design of Chileno and the Montage are quite similar. The Montage beach might be a hair nicer, but the F and B prices there are astronomical.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:59 pm

I stayed at O&O in May, 2021. Lovely resort. Reminds me of "Old Hollywood." for some reason. But it definitely leans to old world Mexico decor wise. Beautiful setting, especially eating at Agua or lounging at the main family pool. Very lush for an arid area. Service was good. As others have said the waves and currents are fairly large and strong. I was able to swim at their beach on multiple days, but it's not an easy swim, nor would I allow small children to swim at the beach. Their beach has many rocks, but is fairly walkable. I stayed in a Junior Casita with a small infinity pool directly on the beach. Not sure I need my own personal pool, but it was warm, and it was nice to be in the pool and stare out at the beach and marvel at those huge waves on those hot sunny days.

We ate at Arbol at Las Ventanas, Aqua at O&O, Acre and Flora which are nearby in San Jose I believe. All very tasty, except I made the mistake of ordering the cauliflower steak at Aqua. All though, Aqua had very good breakfasts. This was my second stay at O&O, and would return. Overall, as a side note, I enjoyed O&O Palmilla over O&O Manderina. If I go back to Cabo, I'll probably try the Aman when it's opens.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:22 pm
Original Member

Cabo’s allure is due mostly to its relative proximity to the U.S., especially flying from the west coast or from Houston. I go often because of the non-stop proximity from SFO as well as Las Ventanas which is a sublime respite. However, I never leave the resort. Cabo San Lucas is a nightmare of too-happy gringos on the prowl for cheap cerverzas and drinks, and one another. San Jose del Cabo, the old town, is worthy of exploration, especially the zocalo and cathedral, plus small shops featuring local art, artifacts, fabric and tipico clothing.

The Four Seasons is an hour+ from the airport whereas the resorts you have lister are 25 minutes.

You may find pertinent info on this thread, including discussion of Montage.
Mexico, my haven[/QUOTE]

My favorite locale in Mexico is Zihuatanejo, south of Puerto Vallarta, halfway to Acapulco, a long flight sometimes requiring a connection. In Zihua I am head over heels and more for La Casa Que Canta. https://www.lacasaquecanta.com/en/m_...ejo-mexico.php

Last edited by KatW; May 20, 2021 at 7:42 pm
Old May 20, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
We had a lovely stay at Chileno Bay back in June 2019. Fabulous pools, wonderful staff, great food/drinks, incredible views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.