Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury safari recommendations in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 11:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Thornybush Game Reserve (and Royal Malewane)

For what it's worth, Thornybush Game Reserve (where Royal Malewane is located in) is fenced in, except for the side that borders Timbavati Reserve (the fence was torn down in 2017), which significantly detracts from the experience, in my opinion. Also, there are a whopping 14 lodges in the Reserve, making it significantly more busy than Sabi Sands, for instance, which is shared only by Singita and Londolozi.

Also - I'm with others... Singita Boulders is my top choice, especially for those on either a first safari or people looking to easily combine their safari with Cape Town.
Travis123 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Consider Londolozi

I will be there in August. Its a trip delayed from last year. My personal guide who will be with me was head ranger there, when the place first opened up. He no longer works there as he has opened up his own guide training school.I am paying for a private vehicle with him as my guide and using their driver. he has been guiding for me since 2008. The place has one of the largest traversing rights in the Sabi Sands. Useful as many smaller lodges have more limited traverse rights and share rights to other properties. That means if an animal is in area where you don;t have rights, you cant go on that property to see. Londolozi tends to have leopards which are pretty but usually sleeping. I've never been there so you will have to depend on other's reviews of their food and rooms. They have a good section of river going through their property which assures an abundance of animals especially when its dry there. The place is on the expensive side but I'm treating myself and I already paid for it two years ago. I enjoy photography so the big 5 is not my thing, I already have hundreds if not thousands of photos of them. I'd rather spend 3 hours with a caracal, honey badger, or pangolin.

The other place to consider is Mala Mala. They probably have the largest transverse rights and they don't allow other lodges vehicles on their property. That means relative privacy without loads of vehicles cueing in line for a sighting.

You will probably see the big five in any of the private reserves in just a few days, most likely all in one day since they are so organized and know where their animals are. So its a question of better sightings which can still be random and softer bed and good food. My personal bias is wild life viewing with minimal restrictions. That is becoming harder to do due to increased poaching enforcement. Its hard to do night drives at many places and your are unlikely to be able to do a midnight drive.
FlyerEC and Travis123 like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueskie
Flying directly to the property airstrip was a big plus. Many of the South Africa luxury properties I have stayed in offered outstanding amenities and or game viewing. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you value most and want to prioritize. Some are bragging rights properties like the ones mentioned in the thread. Some properties had comfortable accommodations and outstanding game viewing while others had outstanding accommodations and okay game viewing, likewise with food, service and amenities. Some of my favorites also had workout facilities.

I liked that Singita had 2 full size swimming pools in the main area and private plunge pools in the rooms as well as a workout room/spa building. Chitwa Chitwa also had a full size pool and private plunge pools as well as a work out area. Camp Jabulani (think they changed their name to Jabulani Safari?) had a private plunge pool (heated) and small open air work out area. Spa services and gourmet dining can add to the experience, especially for couples and those celebrating special occasions. River Lodge comes to mind for an intimate setting, good food and warm service. Rattrays only 4 guests per vehicle policy stood out as most everyone else had more (unless booking a private vehicle). Africa House at the Royal Malewane included a private vehicle. There is information and photos based on actual stays at https://simonandbaker.com/category/africa/south-africa/ and https://simonandbaker.com/?sfid=3843...g=game-viewing Hope this helps.
very helpful, thank you! I should have been more clear in my original post as to what I prioritize. While a nice room and friendly service are important, my number one priority is game viewing. I don’t care as much about having access to a nice spa or expensive bottle of wine. At this point I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending $2,500-3,000 a night at Singita, which I know will be a fantastic experience, or if I can get away with spending maybe $1,200-1,500 a night and still have a memorable experience but without some of the amenities. I will take your advice into consideration, thanks again.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueskie
Flying directly to the property airstrip was a big plus. Many of the South Africa luxury properties I have stayed in offered outstanding amenities and or game viewing. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you value most and want to prioritize. Some are bragging rights properties like the ones mentioned in the thread. Some properties had comfortable accommodations and outstanding game viewing while others had outstanding accommodations and okay game viewing, likewise with food, service and amenities. Some of my favorites also had workout facilities.

I liked that Singita had 2 full size swimming pools in the main area and private plunge pools in the rooms as well as a workout room/spa building. Chitwa Chitwa also had a full size pool and private plunge pools as well as a work out area. Camp Jabulani (think they changed their name to Jabulani Safari?) had a private plunge pool (heated) and small open air work out area. Spa services and gourmet dining can add to the experience, especially for couples and those celebrating special occasions. River Lodge comes to mind for an intimate setting, good food and warm service. Rattrays only 4 guests per vehicle policy stood out as most everyone else had more (unless booking a private vehicle). Africa House at the Royal Malewane included a private vehicle. There is information and photos based on actual stays at https://simonandbaker.com/category/africa/south-africa/ and https://simonandbaker.com/?sfid=3843...g=game-viewing Hope this helps.
Do Singita and some of the other luxury lodges help you organize the transportation to the airstrip or is that something that you did on your own? Sorry, I’m a total newbie so I’m trying my best to learn a little bit each day. Thanks for the great suggestions.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Will be my first safari and want to explore Cape Town so Singita Boulders seems like an excellent option.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Travis123
very helpful, thank you! I should have been more clear in my original post as to what I prioritize. While a nice room and friendly service are important, my number one priority is game viewing. I don’t care as much about having access to a nice spa or expensive bottle of wine. At this point I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending $2,500-3,000 a night at Singita, which I know will be a fantastic experience, or if I can get away with spending maybe $1,200-1,500 a night and still have a memorable experience but without some of the amenities. I will take your advice into consideration, thanks again.
I struggled with this too when booking my Tanzania safari for later this year. I ultimately looked at a bunch of options and went with Singita because of the private reserve (less people around, off road ability, walking safari, etc), and the overall experience because even if the game viewing is awesome at another place, I don’t want the experience to be worsened by bad food, poor service, etc. And when looking at other options, a lot of them didn’t include everything that Singita does - the room itself may have been a lot less expensive, but they may charge extra for the game drives, or they might only include wine and beer, etc.

Only you will be able to answer the question on whether it’s worth the additional cost. But I know that I feel a bit more comfortable and confident about the trip knowing I’m going with one of the best operators.

And you bet I’ll try to drink my way through their wine cellar while I’m there
Travis123 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United747
I struggled with this too when booking my Tanzania safari for later this year. I ultimately looked at a bunch of options and went with Singita because of the private reserve (less people around, off road ability, walking safari, etc), and the overall experience because even if the game viewing is awesome at another place, I don’t want the experience to be worsened by bad food, poor service, etc. And when looking at other options, a lot of them didn’t include everything that Singita does - the room itself may have been a lot less expensive, but they may charge extra for the game drives, or they might only include wine and beer, etc.

Only you will be able to answer the question on whether it’s worth the additional cost. But I know that I feel a bit more comfortable and confident about the trip knowing I’m going with one of the best operators.

And you bet I’ll try to drink my way through their wine cellar while I’m there
LOL @ the wine cellar comment, and I agree that if I book with Singita it will definitely put my mind at ease!
United747 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ak97
I will be there in August. Its a trip delayed from last year. My personal guide who will be with me was head ranger there, when the place first opened up. He no longer works there as he has opened up his own guide training school.I am paying for a private vehicle with him as my guide and using their driver. he has been guiding for me since 2008. The place has one of the largest traversing rights in the Sabi Sands. Useful as many smaller lodges have more limited traverse rights and share rights to other properties. That means if an animal is in area where you don;t have rights, you cant go on that property to see. Londolozi tends to have leopards which are pretty but usually sleeping. I've never been there so you will have to depend on other's reviews of their food and rooms. They have a good section of river going through their property which assures an abundance of animals especially when its dry there. The place is on the expensive side but I'm treating myself and I already paid for it two years ago. I enjoy photography so the big 5 is not my thing, I already have hundreds if not thousands of photos of them. I'd rather spend 3 hours with a caracal, honey badger, or pangolin.
Really excited to hear this. My fiancé and I are about to book 3 nights in the Timbavati (RockFig Safari Lodge) followed by 3 nights at Londolozi Tree Camp for our August 2022 honeymoon. Going with Singita was just too far to stretch our budget, but I feel very confident we will have an amazing experience at Londolozi. Which camp are you specifically booked at? We tried to get the Granite Suites, but it’s already sold out, so we are going to do Tree Camp. Any other input on Londolozi is more than welcome!
Old May 12, 2021, 2:52 pm

Londolozi appears to be absolutely magical! Will have to bookmark this for a South Africa trip in the future.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:48 pm

Assuming things work out, I'll be at Londolozi Granite Suites in September. I will certainly report back!
FlyerEC, LinLant and Travis123 like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:30 am

I've stayed at Londolozi (3x at Tree Camp, and the 4th trip will be in Dec at Granite), andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, and Singita Grumeti. Londolozi blows them away due to the team there. All the lodges mentioned are great, but Londolozi's rangers, trackers, and hotel staff are what make it truly special. While most of the lodges can match the luxury of Londolozi, the knowledge and passion of the team there are beyond belief. The training the rangers go through (a week alone in the bush as a final test!) makes them incredibly knowledgeable about every single turn and tree, almost comically so.

Londolozi also goes to great lengths to care for the workers, surrounding community, and environment but not at the expense of the luxuries a lodge-like that should have. I think Londolozi's service culture is what it is because the lodge is a 'passion project' by the family that has owned it since they built it around 1920. A member of that family, I think, was a founder of the andBeyond chain and sold their stake in andBeyond years ago (which is why the ranger training at andBeyond is similar to Londolozi). Because it's not a chain, I've never felt I'm being nickel and dimed at Londolozi, and they're really flexible, attempting to accommodate any reasonable request.

At Tree Camp, request the first room after the bridge. It's close enough to the main dining area but far enough to feel very private. Most of all, have fun there. The rangers and staff are really fun and like to chat with guests if they feel the guests are interested in that.
Travis123 likes this.

Last edited by Upstateflyer; May 13, 2021 at 7:07 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
I've stayed at Londolozi (3x at Tree Camp, and the 4th trip will be in Dec at Granite), andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, and Singita Grumeti. Londolozi blows them away due to the team there. All the lodges mentioned are great, but Londolozi's rangers, trackers, and hotel staff are what make it truly special. While most of the lodges can match the luxury of Londolozi, the knowledge and passion of the team there are beyond belief. The training the rangers go through (a week alone in the bush as a final test!) makes them incredibly knowledgeable about every single turn and tree, almost comically so.

Londolozi also goes to great lengths to care for the workers, surrounding community, and environment but not at the expense of the luxuries a lodge-like should have, if that's important to you. I think the service culture of Londolozi is what it is because the lodge is a 'passion project' by the family that has owned it since they built it around 1920. A member of that family, I think, was a founder of the andBeyond chain and sold their stake in andBeyond years ago (which is why the ranger training at andBeyond is similar to Londolozi). Because it's not a chain, I've never felt I'm being nickel and dimed at Londolozi, and they're really flexible, attempting to accommodate any reasonable request.

At Tree Camp, request the first room after the bridge. It's close enough to the main dining area but far enough to feel very private. Most of all, have fun there. The rangers and staff are really fun and like to chat with guests if they feel the guests are interested in that.
This is great to hear. We were originally booked in Tree Camp for Sept. 2020. When we pushed it to 2021, Tree was booked so we moved to Granite. Either way, I cannot wait and am hoping it will be a fantastic experience.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

I see a lot of lodges are offering Stay 5 nights, Pay for 4 type deals through 2021. Are these specials typically offered or only because of Covid? I won’t be going until 2022 and curious if some new offers might come out in the future.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
All the lodges mentioned are great, but Londolozi's rangers, trackers, and hotel staff are what make it truly special. While most of the lodges can match the luxury of Londolozi, the knowledge and passion of the team there are beyond belief. The training the rangers go through (a week alone in the bush as a final test!) makes them incredibly knowledgeable about every single turn and tree, almost comically so.

Londolozi also goes to great lengths to care for the workers, surrounding community, and environment but not at the expense of the luxuries a lodge-like that should have. I think Londolozi's service culture is what it is because the lodge is a 'passion project' by the family that has owned it since they built it around 1920. A member of that family, I think, was a founder of the andBeyond chain and sold their stake in andBeyond years ago (which is why the ranger training at andBeyond is similar to Londolozi). Because it's not a chain, I've never felt I'm being nickel and dimed at Londolozi, and they're really flexible, attempting to accommodate any reasonable request.

We also spent our honeymoon partially at Londolozi. We stayed at pioneer camp as tree and granite were booked. Loved it. Looked at singita too and the points above about the service culture at Londolozi are what did it for me. We also used Rhino Africa (which was great) and our agent characterized Singita service as more formal vs Londolozi where service was still top notch but not as stuffy (I still remember the quote..."they'll always call you Mr and Mrs at Singita but they'll treat you like family at Londolozi"). This was very much the case. The staff was exceptional but also friendly and accessible, which was a big plus for us. A few examples...

some of our best friends completely coincidentally were at Londolozi overlapping a few nights with us but in a different camp. The staff organized a cocktail party for all of us in the bush and did other things to make sure we could spend time together despite being in different camps

A couple of the staff realized i love craft beer and brought me a few local brews from a trip into town...and they clearly had fun picking out the beers and sharing them with me.

I obviously have no point of comparison on the wildlife, but i was blown away by the experience at Londolozi.

At some point you're just talking about style. I'm sure around the edges, Singita is objectively better...but i don't feel like i missed out on anything, including the wildlife, by choosing Londolozi. And i probably had a better time because of service style than if i went to one of the objectively better Singitas.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by Travis123
Do Singita and some of the other luxury lodges help you organize the transportation to the airstrip or is that something that you did on your own? Sorry, I’m a total newbie so I’m trying my best to learn a little bit each day. Thanks for the great suggestions.
yes - Singita and And Beyond pick you up/drop you off at the airstrip. We just had them make our Fed Air reservations for the plane and they just pick you up accordingly. It’s such a well oiled machine as they will often do a morning game drive and take you right over, easier to let them plan it. I think And Beyond charged for this, not sure re Singita. They keep tabs on your flight and adjust accordingly (the tiny little ‘bush taxis’ do not necessarily follow a tight schedule). Singita uses private airstrips on property (for SA and TZ lodges) and they have a little lounge at arrival with drinks, snacks, washroom. They will give you a few minutes to relax and meet your guide for the stay who will be with you from that moment on. And Beyond did not have a private airstrip (we stayed at Crater Lodge so perhaps different based on location but sometimes different camps share airstrips in SA), but our guide met us on arrival and had beverages and snacks in the vehicle. But, we had to share a vehicle to the lodge with another couple (who arrived almost an hour earlier and was forced to wait for us) - that IMO is unacceptable given that the crater lodge was over 3k/night in high season and we all had to pay for the transfers.
MSPeconomist and Travis123 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.