Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Europe early August-What is realistic?

Europe early August-What is realistic?

Old Apr 22, 21, 8:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 858
Europe early August-What is realistic?

My daughter will be starting college in the fall and wants to try to travel to Europe this summer as a graduation gift. She, my wife, and I are all vaccinated. My 13 year old son has already had the virus. What countries do you guys think will be open to US visitors by then? I assume our best bet is the UK, but I think she would prefer the continent. Thanks guys. Mods, please don't move as this is the forum I use for all of our travel needs and whose opinions I trust the most.
Valveking is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 8:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,871
I am booking Greece travel for late August. Seems like my best chance to see some of the islands with hopefully less of the crowds that has made the major destinations a non-starter for me in past years.

That said, always looking for suggestions as to what to pair with 2 nights Athens, 3 nights Santorini. I have 3 more nights and don’t want to move around more than once more. Also no interest in Amanzoe.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 9:30 am
  #3  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,732
Croatia, Malta and Greece have promoted themselves as open to tourists this summer. Each is beautiful. The challenge for any place is to know what is open once you are in the country. Are the sidewalk cafes open. Are the museums open. I truly don't know what to expect in any of those countries. Croatia is a stunning country especially along the coast. There is a lot to do from Dubrovnik north thru Split and Zadar to Trieste.
FlyerEC and Antonio8069 like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:29 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 244
Iceland, Croatia and Greece are already open, once in Greece for 14 days you can travel onwards anywhere in Schengen. Macron says France will start opening in May and expects to welcome Americans this summer. Essentially they plan on Europe being open.
747-800i is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
My daughter will be starting college in the fall and wants to try to travel to Europe this summer as a graduation gift. She, my wife, and I are all vaccinated. My 13 year old son has already had the virus. What countries do you guys think will be open to US visitors by then? I assume our best bet is the UK, but I think she would prefer the continent. Thanks guys. Mods, please don't move as this is the forum I use for all of our travel needs and whose opinions I trust the most.
I think you will find that a lot of Europe will open up as we approach July/August. It is highly likely that the UK will allow US citizens to enter without managed quarantine or self-isolation but you will need a negative test result to fly to the UK followed by a (private) PCR test on arrival to screen for variants of concern. I know that the US Government's policy for fully vaccinated individuals is different and allows for individuals to avoid testing and quarantine altogether but that is not the approach the UK Government is taking at present. These policies will be reviewed at the end of June and again at the end of July. If you're thinking about Europe I am almost certain you will be able to travel to France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece and the EU appears to be putting forward a similar set of policies to the US in terms of vaccinated visitors. There is also talk about establishing / piloting a safe travel corridor between the UK-US but what that would mean in terms of testing requirements is unknown at present as is whether it might even go ahead.

In terms of where you might want to visit, contrary to the US state department's categorisation the UK has very low levels of COVID now (24.3 per 100k) and our daily new cases are ~2.5k per day. Our Government is taking an extremely cautious approach to removing restrictions waiting to see the impact of them in the data as they work through the roadmap. If everything goes as planned - and at present it all looks positive you should find everything back open by 21 June. I doubt we will see the back of face masks however but in the UK you don't have to wear them outdoors and anybody under 14 is also exempt. These conditions are in stark contrast to our neighbours in the EU where cases and deaths are rising and many are re-imposing restrictions. This is undoubtedly down to the success of the UK's vaccination programme and the fact we have a particularly high uptake compared to our friends in Europe.

On a separate but related note I hope that the US Government begins to rollback some of its own entry restrictions - especially if they want their own citizens to be able to travel unhindered. The US can't keep its own borders closed whilst expecting it's own citizens to be able to travel the world. These things work both ways.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a great trip and the climate in southern Europe, particularly the Côte d'Azur is fantastic in July / August.
jp-mco is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:52 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by jp-mco View Post
I think you will find that a lot of Europe will open up as we approach July/August. It is highly likely that the UK will allow US citizens to enter without managed quarantine or self-isolation but you will need a negative test result to fly to the UK followed by a (private) PCR test on arrival to screen for variants of concern. I know that the US Government's policy for fully vaccinated individuals is different and allows for individuals to avoid testing and quarantine altogether but that is not the approach the UK Government is taking at present. These policies will be reviewed at the end of June and again at the end of July. If you're thinking about Europe I am almost certain you will be able to travel to France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece and the EU appears to be putting forward a similar set of policies to the US in terms of vaccinated visitors. There is also talk about establishing / piloting a safe travel corridor between the UK-US but what that would mean in terms of testing requirements is unknown at present as is whether it might even go ahead.

In terms of where you might want to visit, contrary to the US state department's categorisation the UK has very low levels of COVID now (24.3 per 100k) and our daily new cases are ~2.5k per day. Our Government is taking an extremely cautious approach to removing restrictions waiting to see the impact of them in the data as they work through the roadmap. If everything goes as planned - and at present it all looks positive you should find everything back open by 21 June. I doubt we will see the back of face masks however but in the UK you don't have to wear them outdoors and anybody under 14 is also exempt. These conditions are in stark contrast to our neighbours in the EU where cases and deaths are rising and many are re-imposing restrictions. This is undoubtedly down to the success of the UK's vaccination programme and the fact we have a particularly high uptake compared to our friends in Europe.

On a separate but related note I hope that the US Government begins to rollback some of its own entry restrictions - especially if they want their own citizens to be able to travel unhindered. The US can't keep its own borders closed whilst expecting it's own citizens to be able to travel the world. These things work both ways.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a great trip and the climate in southern Europe, particularly the Côte d'Azur is fantastic in July / August.
Thanks for this. Any idea if France will be requiring PCR tests for vaccinated visitors? Only thing I would worry about is the dreaded false positive upon arrival... I guess the answer will be coming by the end of May?

I think the US will soon be allowing visitors but I suspect they will require vaccination. We are on a similar trajectory to the UK vaccination wise.
Valveking is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 8:47 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by jp-mco View Post
I know that the US Government's policy for fully vaccinated individuals is different and allows for individuals to avoid testing and quarantine altogether.
Incorrect. Whether you have the vax or not the US requires you to have a neg test to enter (even US citizens). Makes sense since you can still catch and spread COVID after getting the vax.
747-800i is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 10:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 17
Aside from Greece , Croatia and Iceland seem to allow non Eu citizens back this summer and countries like Italy and Malt may allow you to visit after being 14 days on another member state
Synapseturquoise is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 12:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
Incorrect. Whether you have the vax or not the US requires you to have a neg test to enter (even US citizens). Makes sense since you can still catch and spread COVID after getting the vax.
Apologies, I’ve just gone back and re-read the CDC guidance and you’re indeed correct. It makes no mention of being able to sidestep the testing requirement to return to the USA after international travel.
jp-mco is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 12:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Posts: 287
.

On a separate but related note I hope that the US Government begins to rollback some of its own entry restrictions - especially if they want their own citizens to be able to travel unhindered. The US can't keep its own borders closed whilst expecting it's own citizens to be able to travel the world. These things work both ways.


Lets hope but that would mark a first !!
BRITINJAPAN4 is online now  
Old Apr 23, 21, 1:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
.

On a separate but related note I hope that the US Government begins to rollback some of its own entry restrictions - especially if they want their own citizens to be able to travel unhindered. The US can't keep its own borders closed whilst expecting it's own citizens to be able to travel the world. These things work both ways.

Lets hope but that would mark a first !!
I can't imagine a situation where UK citizens would readily accept US citizens visiting the UK with minimal testing requirements when US borders are effectively closed to visitors from the UK.
jp-mco is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 3:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,046
I would ask your daughter. France and most of the UK might be a bore for an 18 yr old. At that age Spain/Greece/Portugal (beaches, cities, full of young people) are great. For cities Amsterdam/Paris/London (easily combined by train). But who knows? - I'd be very flexible or delay for a year.
erik123 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 3:18 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,547
Without making any assumptions about what you daughter is interested, I would set realistic expectations of what this trip would look like. I suggest that these include regular PCR tests for travel, mask wearing, and limited food/drink options in a way that one expected previously.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 5:11 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,405
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
I would ask your daughter. France and most of the UK might be a bore for an 18 yr old. At that age Spain/Greece/Portugal (beaches, cities, full of young people) are great. For cities Amsterdam/Paris/London (easily combined by train). But who knows? - I'd be very flexible or delay for a year.
When I was 18 and younger my idea of a great day in London was to wander around the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Natural History Museum or see a movie or a play in the West End. Not all teenagers are heedless hedonists without a cultural fibre in their bodies.

As far as Covid destinations are concerned, I would caution against the Greek Islands - every cruise company I know has chanelled all their ships to out-and-backs from Athens. That means the possibility of massive congestion everywhere, especially in places like Crete, Mykonos and Santorini.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Pausanias is offline  
Old Apr 23, 21, 5:24 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,408
Originally Posted by 747-800i View Post
Incorrect. Whether you have the vax or not the US requires you to have a neg test to enter (even US citizens). Makes sense since you can still catch and spread COVID after getting the vax.
Also, there's no system in place to verify vaccines in the US, at least not at the federal level. The CDC paper cards are easy to forge.
richarddd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: