Community
Wiki Posts
Search

some luxury hotels in Turks and Caicos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:32 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
some luxury hotels in Turks and Caicos

Arrival notes — we arrived PLS around 12:30 p.m., just behind another flight. Although flights were nearly empty, immigration lines were slow and seemed inefficient. Though possibly due to each individual’s negative Covid tests documents being checked and temperatures taken, you’ll likely spend some time in line unless you reserve a VIP Fast Track reception allowing you to skip lines. This would have saved us about a half hour in queue.

The immigration wait meant that our checked luggage was ready and waiting when we got through. After collecting our bags and passing through immigration, we went right to the taxi line and shared a van with a couple going to a different resort. Taxis have no meters, rates to each resort being standardized. You should find out from your resort what the standard charge to their property would be. It was $28 to Palms Resort. Our taxi driver did not accept credit cards, so I paid with $30 cash. The driver took my bills and did not offer change … meaning that she had limited herself to a $2 tip.

The Palms Resort

We spent our first night in Turks and Caicos at The Palms Resort (formerly the Regent Palms). This resort consists of perhaps two dozen individually owned 2BR or 3BR condominium units. Each of these units consists of a large 1BR Suite (1500 sf) connected to either one or two Junior Suites (each 640 sf) via outside connector. Junior Suites can be sold individually or configured as a pair (i.e., as a 2BR Junior Suite). Note that it is not possible to upgrade from a Junior Suite to a full 1BR Suite.

We were upgraded to a 1BR Ocean Front Suite. Our room was large, 1500 square feet in area, its most outstanding feature being the direct view of the ocean from the living room (pictured above). We entered the suite from a small hallway just outside the elevator. Once inside the door of our suite, turning to the right was our bedroom with a King bed and two closets. The bathroom provided dual vanities, a soaking tub, WC, and an open double shower. There was an additional half bath in the hallway leading toward the living room. The living room was the most attractive part of the suite, offering a full gourmet kitchen, a dining area with a large dining table, and a seating area with a pull-out sofa and more seating. A large patio offered additional seating with ocean views.

Junior Suites do not have direct ocean views, but request the highest possible floor on booking where a few offer at least a peek at the ocean … there are a few. 1BR Suites come with Ocean Front, Ocean View, or Pool views. Of the latter category, Pool View units on the ground floor are quite popular as your patio gives direct access to the resort’s large central pool.

My verdict — while the suite was spacious and comfortable, rooms need updating; the original 2004 furnishings felt dated. The Palms would benefit from an entire renovation and is in the process of developing interior designs for a complete makeover. The resort is governed by a condominium board, and the ultimate decision will made by a board of nine elected owners. Will the owners agree to the significant investment needed to make the Palms competitive with its neighbors on Grace Bay? I hope so!

Grace Bay Club

We had less than 24 hours at the Palms, but we walked on the beach to Grace Bay Club, our one morning in the neighborhood. This resort, like The Palms, is located right on Grace Bay, reputed to be one of the top beaches in the world with its long stretch of white, soft sand.

If you want to stay on the Grace Bay Beach, Grace Bay Club is a good choice. It impressed me as a true five star resort. We were unable to see any guestrooms in the adults-only “hotel” section of the hotel, but we were shown suites in both in the Estate and Villas sections of the resort. Rooms were spacious and up-to-date with a residential feel. All suites here have direct ocean views. Suites and junior suites can be configured in different ways to create anything from a Junior Suite up to 3BR Suites and 4BR Estates. For a Wow experience, consider booking a Penthouse with panoramic views of the entire beach.

Grace Bay has a contemporary feel with infinity pools (see above) and multiple beachside dining possibilities, including a casual taco outlet right on the beach where you can eat with your toes in the sand.

Ritz Carlton Turks and Caicos

Still under construction (pictured above) and supposed to open in 2021, Ritz-Carlton is constructing a twelve-story complex to include 124 guest rooms and 60 condominiums (ranging from 2 to 4 bedrooms). Many of the condo units will be in the rental pool. The property will span 688 feet of Grace Bay beach. Tentative plans call for the hotel to open on 2JUN, 2021, but the property does not yet show up on Marriott.com.

The Shore Club

The Shore Club, the sister property to The Palms, is located on Long Bay on the south side of the narrow island. We spent two nights in a Deluxe 1BR Oceanfront Suite, a 1700 square feet accommodation on the corner of the building. A no-compromise luxury accommodation, the suite can be paired with one or two adjacent Junior Suites to create anything up to a 3BR Suite. Our King bedroom had two closets and opened onto a patio with ocean view. The bathroom had a glass-enclosed shower, soaking tub, WC, and dual vanities. There is a powder room in the hallway, and the large living area provides a full gourmet kitchen, living room with pull-out sofabed, dining area, and outdoor patio space.

For a WOW experience for a large family or group of friends, consider one of Shore Club’s 8800 square foot, six bedroom villas (the smaller individual buildings in front of the larger main building, all pictured above). Each of these homes has a private pool, up to six bedrooms, and a personal butler. These two story dwellings are beach mansions equipped with an elevator, gourmet kitchen, and a private path down to the beach.

Amanyara

After one day at Grace Bay (The Palms) and two days at Long Bay (Shore Club), we headed to the western shore of Providenciales for a three night stay at Amanyara. We are now certified Amanjunkies (our other six stays having been at Amandari, Amankila, Amanjiwo, Amanfayun, Amanoi, and Amankora), and we were awarded Amanjunkie t-shirts after dinner last night. Aman offers an entirely different experience, and we’re glad we saved it for last.

Let me state my prejudice for the record … I’m not a fan of what I call “concrete boxes by the beach.” This is why, on the Big Island of Hawaii, I’m such a huge fan of FS Hualalai and am looking forward to Kona Beach Village. It’s why, on Maui, I really like Napili Kai, even though it in no way pretends to be five star. All guestrooms at these resorts are in one or two story buildings that blend into the environment — not massive five story stucco-covered buildings or twelve story glass and steel skyscrapers we so often see on developed beaches. When I go for a beach vacation, I really don’t need the luxurious furnishings and marble bathrooms I find attractive in city hotels. I want instead a sand-between-the-toes experience. I want to feel close to the sea, to the sand, to nature. I want to relax. And Aman provides such an experience in a style like none other.

Our pavilion is large with a simple elegance. It’s about 1000 square feet in area with glass walls and terracotta floors. Naturally finished teak wood is used in the ceilings, shutters, and furniture. From where I sit at my desk, I see nothing but the ocean framed by natural shrubbery — here's the scene! There are no other guest rooms in sight.

Amanyara has 40 pavilions (some with two bedrooms) and 20 private villas (up to five bedrooms). If you are comfortable with the price point, you will love the vacation experience … and if you book when the resort is running a “Season of Discovery” promotion, you’ll also receive full board, a free night (with 5+ nights), and a complimentary massage for two (with 7+ nights). Although Virtuoso amenities do not combine with Season of Discovery, your travel advisor should reach out directly to request an upgrade.

And here's the zen-elegant lobby of Amanyara as seen as you enter the resort.

Last edited by DavidO; Jan 15, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Thanks David. That Ritz Carlton looks awful. Just another monolith. Their Caribbean resorts are terrible with the notable exception of Dorado Beach.
offerendum and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Food, flies, service, mosquitoes ...

When I visited Amanyara many years ago, there was a problem in each of these four categories. I'm curious if the situation has improved.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks! I think the choice is very simple: Amanyara or nothing. The new RC will most likely be another uninteresting RC....
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:57 am

Very sad to see that Ritz Carlton monstrosity in such a location. The way of the world, I suppose, but just so depressing.
Revolution and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:31 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Great and informative reviews as always!!

Glad to hear your stay at Yara was good. My recent/3rd stay was truly awful for an Aman
Parrot Cay remains leagues better in service/value (subjective) for now. Amanera as well.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sigh. I’ve yet to get an amanjunkie gift....

insouldnsay the food and service were better on my second stay than first.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sigh. I’ve yet to get an amanjunkie gift....

insouldnsay the food and service were better on my second stay than first.
Pity , try go to an Aman when we are present !
We can share ours if the GM really does not give you any - but they will ! Especially if you have been to the same one twice . Usually do not receive any if on one ‘ s first stay ( sometimes they do these days or if I had emailed them to say an FTer is coming & please be nice - that is if I know when you will be there / you have reached out to me )

Ian W is at Yara , so good news , Amanjunkies will be recognised !
Hope he stays till when we visit , & Tapa T at COMO too !!
scented and 1readyset2go like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 16, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:43 pm
Original Member

Another low-key, ultra comfortable (forgive pun) option is the Meridien Club on Pine Cay, the only hotel on the island. Jim and I stayed twice ages ago and it is a spectacular locale with great beautiful clear turquoise swimmable beach and daily snorkeling expeditions or island beach forays. We liked Sand Dollar Cottage (which staff referred to as the Love Shack.

Tends toward couples rather than families. Cay homeowners may bring kids to the pool. Fewer than 20 accommodations although homes may be rented. Inclusive of board and most activities.

It’s luxury in my vocabulary.

https://meridianclub.com
scented, BESVISOR and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 16, 2021 at 5:49 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:37 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks for that update - very helpful! You're right about the Aman 'experience' being the one that I would look for too - not a big 5-6 storey (or bigger) glass-facade building in a place like that.

Didn't get a chance to make it out to Parrot Cay?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:15 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
We can share ours if the GM really does not give you any - but they will ! Especially if you have been to the same one twice . Usually do not receive any if on one ‘ s first stay ( sometimes they do these days or if I had emailed them to say an FTer is coming & please be nice - that is if I know when you will be there / you have reached out to me )

ive gone to the same one twice (Yara) and I met Ian W. One should not have to email about it... they should know...

it’s petty I know but I’ve stayed at over a dozen Amans and wouldn’t mind a bit of recognition but I’m not going to go fishing for it.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:14 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
it’s petty I know but I’ve stayed at over a dozen Amans and wouldn’t mind a bit of recognition but I’m not going to go fishing for it.
As Aman grows maybe they will appoint a FlyerTalk Lurker
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Originally Posted by ABG
As Aman grows maybe they will appoint a FlyerTalk Lurker
😂 😂

ive gone to the same one twice (Yara) and I met Ian W. One should not have to email about it... they should know...

Actually some AMANs do not have AMANJunkie T shirts but they should have something ..
For the longest time , the Japanese AMANs did not . Should have a common T now .

Not sure of the status of some like Yara .
Pulo has or had various designs , all ill fitting . The Indonesian ones were at one time inconsistent but some were fine cotton . Thankfully sorted by Ernst L .
Gani ‘ s was the best but this seems eons ago now .
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Great review. I am trying to decided where to stay and I was looking a the Palms and Grace bay club. Just a shout out since it was not in your review and is a 5 star... in 2020 we stayed at Como in a beautiful 2 bedroom beach villa. It was incredible with a large pool and it sat right on a secluded stretch of gorgeous beach. We loved our time there and got to met Tapa T.

One question. I am dying to know how the beach at the shore club compares to Grace Bay.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Great review. I am trying to decided where to stay and I was looking a the Palms and Grace bay club. Just a shout out since it was not in your review and is a 5 star... in 2020 we stayed at Como in a beautiful 2 bedroom beach villa. It was incredible with a large pool and it sat right on a secluded stretch of gorgeous beach. We loved our time there and got to met Tapa T.

One question. I am dying to know how the beach at the shore club compares to Grace Bay.
I highly recommend the Estate section of Grace Bay Club. Excellent accommodations and butler service, as well as access to the pool that is exclusive to Estate guests.

The Shore Club is located on Long Bay, which gets very windy. I much prefer Grace Bay to Long Bay unless you are into windsurfing.
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.