Reload this Page >

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:44 pm

How are the bath amenities at Aman Tokyo (shampoo/body wash/conditioner, etc)? Are they of high quality? I ask because I was debating whether to bring my own for my upcoming trip because hotel bath amenities can be rough on the hair for example. Park Hyatt's Le Labo comes to mind. Everyone seems to rave about it but it's a diluted version of the Le Labo that they actual sell in the stores, and isn't nearly as good as the consumer Le Labo products.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jinyoungkim7
How are the bath amenities at Aman Tokyo (shampoo/body wash/conditioner, etc)? Are they of high quality? I ask because I was debating whether to bring my own for my upcoming trip because hotel bath amenities can be rough on the hair for example. Park Hyatt's Le Labo comes to mind. Everyone seems to rave about it but it's a diluted version of the Le Labo that they actual sell in the stores, and isn't nearly as good as the consumer Le Labo products.
The only real Le Labos are the ones in the white/cream capped containers like retail ones. Everything else in Asia is a Malaysian licensed product for Hyatt, etc.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by luxefarer
thank you 🙏 appreciate the feedback.

Amandari & kila next, stay tuned ! ….
One does not link AMANs to PH !
Have you stayed in AMANs before ? While they may longer use Sodashi organic bath , etc amenities , whatever they may use is of best quality available where the particular AMAN is located . These days it can be their own AMANs line ..
AmanTokyo ‘ s is fine as is their hinoki “ shavings “ & more provided for their huge basalt bathtub - more like a mini pool in our corner suite !

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...t-in-bali-4414
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
The only real Le Labos are the ones in the white/cream capped containers like retail ones. Everything else in Asia is a Malaysian licensed product for Hyatt, etc.
Right. I've stayed at several Park Hyatts but never liked their "fake" Le Labo amenities. It smells like the original Le Labo scents but it doesn't feel the same quality as the ones I've bought at Le Labo stores. Though I do like the scent of the special PHNY Tubereuse bottles.

That being said, you've been to Aman Tokyo right? How were their original bath amenities?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
How about in NA? I've seen them at the PHNY, PH Toronto, and at Fairmonts. I happen to like the stuff. Never bought the one at the stores, but if it's better than the hotel freebie, then it's pretty nice.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
How about in NA? I've seen them at the PHNY, PH Toronto, and at Fairmonts. I happen to like the stuff. Never bought the one at the stores, but if it's better than the hotel freebie, then it's pretty nice.
Yup, all the mini Le Labo bottles that I've encountered at PHs (PH DC and NY) and at various Fairmonts are not the real deal from the stores. The body wash isn't bad but the shampoo and conditioner definitely is a big step below the retail versions in quality. My hair feels coarse afterwards. The scents are similar/same as the actual consumer sold products though.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
Offtopic: (Maybe mods will put this post into a luxury hotels toiletries post).
These are the closest to retail Le Labos that you can get at a hotel.

These are the licenced products made in Malaysia for Asian Park Hyatts. Their scent is off from the original parfums and don't moisturize or lather as well either.

Right. I've stayed at several Park Hyatts but never liked their "fake" Le Labo amenities. It smells like the original Le Labo scents but it doesn't feel the same quality as the ones I've bought at Le Labo stores. Though I do like the scent of the special PHNY Tubereuse bottles.

That being said, you've been to Aman Tokyo right? How were their original bath amenities?
I always bring my own and have never used any Aman toiletries. I'm betting they're made by a niche Japanese toiletries maker on Aman's behalf.

Our esteemed Amanjunkies can provide more information.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 3, 2022 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:41 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Interesting - I had no idea! Shame that Le Labo would allow such a lower quality version of their branded products.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:34 pm

Offtopic: (Maybe mods will put this post into a luxury hotels toiletries post).

I always bring my own and have never used any Aman toiletries. I'm betting they're made by a niche Japanese toiletries maker on Aman's behalf.

Our esteemed Amanjunkies can provide more information.
It has been awhile since I paid attention, but previously toiletries were consistent with the location of the Aman. The two that stand out for me are the sage-scented amenities at Amangiri and the locally produced amenities at Amanjena. Apparently the Amanjena body wash was so popular that people would pilfer the full sized shower gel bottles and poor Petar ran around looking for another type of container so I could take some home with me (I offered to pay).
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
People are discussing Le Labo here like it's sainted. It's really just another Estee Lauder buyout. Has been since 2014.

They've cheapened the whole line, cut back on the quality of scent and generally do what they always do: Cheapen production to boost profit while expanding the line into subpar scents. Remembering what Le Labo was before the buyout, I loved their line. Truly unique.

Estee ruined Jo Malone too. Thankfully, once her non-compete was over, Jo created Jo Loves and it's wonderful. Superb quality.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman NYC
rooms on 3 sides = 57th st, 5th ave, 56th st (56th = annex)
only premier and grand in annex (floor to ceiling windows)
factsheet suggests no sanctuary rooms have connecting
does spa / pool / fitness have entrances on multiple floors?
2 spa houses are unique, presumably unique price >

7th floor, labeled 10th floor

10th floor, labeled 14th floor >

(from NYC ACRIS CRFN 2022000091763)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 14, 2022 at 9:40 am
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Does anyone know if Jetskiing is available at or near Amangalla or Amanwella in Sri Lanka ?

I can contact the hotels, but I just thought someone who has been there might know .
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:33 am

Booking a 2 week trip to Japan. It will be my first time visiting. I'd like to visit all 3 Aman's.
Due to budget I'd most likely do 1 night at each Aman (I will be staying longer in Tokyo and Kyoto in other hotels). I could potentially up my total to 4 nights at Amans instead of 3. If so, would the extra night at Amanemu be recommended as it's the trickiest to get to and to make the journey worthwhile? Or would 1 night at Emu be enough?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by traveluxe
Booking a 2 week trip to Japan. It will be my first time visiting. I'd like to visit all 3 Aman's.
Due to budget I'd most likely do 1 night at each Aman (I will be staying longer in Tokyo and Kyoto in other hotels). I could potentially up my total to 4 nights at Amans instead of 3. If so, would the extra night at Amanemu be recommended as it's the trickiest to get to and to make the journey worthwhile? Or would 1 night at Emu be enough?
Thanks for any advice!
Try do 2 nights at Nemu , we travel by MPV from Kyoto every time .. have done TRs for Nemu & Tokyo , gave you read them ? Might give you an idea what activities you can consider during your brief stay . Have not checked what exclusives / offers they might be having when you go . If possible touch base with one of the GMs for suggestions for your stay period .

Perhaps by then you will be able to enjoy more nights at AMANs
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by QF Lad
Does anyone know if Jetskiing is available at or near Amangalla or Amanwella in Sri Lanka ?

I can contact the hotels, but I just thought someone who has been there might know .
Think there was “ nearby “ but not busy , thankfully , like at Puri to mar the tranquility at Wella .
Not sure at Galla as not located by the beach but seem to recall possibly somewhere fairly close by .
All this was pre Covid though .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.