Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by scented
First TripAdvisor reviews on Aman New York don’t sound exactly promising…!?
It’s common parlance here in this thread to dis TripAdvisor reviews but intelligent, well-traveled folk know how to interpret such reviews and glean useful info. Yes, even Aman reviews.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Just booked three nights at Amankila - reading back during COVID, seems like there were some hiccups with staffing, etc.

Anyone have any recent experiences at Amankila? Will be there in the new year.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Rumples
Just booked three nights at Amankila - reading back during COVID, seems like there were some hiccups with staffing, etc.

Anyone have any recent experiences at Amankila? Will be there in the new year.
Just back from Kila. , TR started but having issues with posting photos , etc . Pause for a bit

Mods , please help other thread - duplicate too - 314 & 315 , thanks

There hopefully will likely be some long delayed / postponed construction going on in the new year along the periphery of the property

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 17, 2022 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Just back from Kila. , TR started but having issues with posting photos , etc . Pause for a bit

Mods , please help other thread - duplicate too - 314 & 315 , thanks

There hopefully will likely be some long delayed / postponed construction going on in the new year along the periphery of the property
Thanks FlyerEC - we booked a Pool Suite - with a possible move to an infinity pool suite. Looking for a tranquil retreat and the beach - definitely not looking to hear construction, etc.

I am assuming this is for the Spa center and Fitness center that we’ve been hearing about?

Trying to decide if I should switch properties, or locations all together and go Amanoi over Amankila. Or maybe switching to Amanjiwo?

Will look out for the TR!
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by benjinito
He didn’t say our customer service team will reach out to you, he said our customer service team were in touch with you during your stay, meaning he was already aware and already passed down the task to someone else
It's probably the GM's EA responding on TA. Consider it passed.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:08 pm

Thanks FlyerEC - we booked a Pool Suite - with a possible move to an infinity pool suite. Looking for a tranquil retreat and the beach - definitely not looking to hear construction, etc.

I am assuming this is for the Spa center and Fitness center that we’ve been hearing about?

Trying to decide if I should switch properties, or locations all together and go Amanoi over Amankila. Or maybe switching to Amanjiwo?

Will look out for the TR!
Well , yes , the Wellness Centre & villas !

When in the new year ? .. some of us , 6 so far coming from different EU countries too , will be in N’oi around 7 January .. enough for an AMANJunkie FT DO 🎶

Weather in Indonesia is more humid in January , while windy in N’oi but better than hot & humid for us

Still having issues editing the TRs - KILA , Marrakech , One & Only & Soori Bali , cannot get in or error message
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:52 pm

Well , yes , the Wellness Centre & villas !

When in the new year ? .. some of us , 6 so far coming from different EU countries too , will be in N’oi around 7 January .. enough for an AMANJunkie FT DO 🎶

Weather in Indonesia is more humid in January , while windy in N’oi but better than hot & humid for us

Still having issues editing the TRs - KILA , Marrakech , One & Only & Soori Bali , cannot get in or error message

Thank you! Am in Kila a couple weeks after you depart Noi! Hope you have a great time! I am using Aman Kila to kick start my Aman journeys and will follow it up in April with Tokyo Aman.

BTW - sorry for the novice question, do you have an email to the Kila guest host? I emailed the generic reservation email for help on planning excursions//etc and also used the online form fill…ive gotten nothing back so far? Maybe a little early for planning in their minds!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:48 pm

Thank you! Am in Kila a couple weeks after you depart Noi! Hope you have a great time! I am using Aman Kila to kick start my Aman journeys and will follow it up in April with Tokyo Aman.

BTW - sorry for the novice question, do you have an email to the Kila guest host? I emailed the generic reservation email for help on planning excursions//etc and also used the online form fill…ive gotten nothing back so far? Maybe a little early for planning in their minds!
Do pm me .. lots of time yet .. Kila has a group arriving soon .. they just had a wedding before we arrived , possibly another buyout

Will decide which or whose email should be shared
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:13 pm

Do pm me .. lots of time yet .. Kila has a group arriving soon .. they just had a wedding before we arrived , possibly another buyout

Will decide which or whose email should be shared
Is there any kind of way to book New York better than their website? Virtouso rate is 15% higher and it's not on FHR

ETA I see the 15% difference is just taxes, so I guess Virtouso is the way to go
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Back from a 4 night stay at Aman New York and just booked my return for Aman NY next week.

Thought I'd share a few thoughts...

One of my favorite/best NY stays to date. Was it PERFECTION? No. Do I ever get remotely close to perfection in NY? NO.
Do I expect perfection in NY? I actually never expect perfection anywhere, anymore. I still get perfect stays here and there but I no longer set myself up for huge disappointments.
I do think guests have the right to expect perfection at a very high price point. I just know the reality is different these days (esp in NY / North America) and my goal is to come away from a trip happy not receving perfection.

Hard products:
It's my favorite in NY by a long shot. In mid town, I think Baccarat and Aman NY are my favorite two hard products. Very different but I enjoy both very much. You couldn't get me to stay for free at MO, Pen, St. Regis, RC.
The terrace is unreal to have in NY and during my stay, weather was amazing (so this was just a bit of luck) and sitting out on the terrace having coffee and catching up with friends was a treat.
Gym, pool, spa are all the best I've seen to date in NY. One could argue equinox has a better gym but I think you'd have to kill me to drag me to stay at Equinox. Not saying others shouldn't love it but I don't find it luxe.
Location wise, I don't necessarily love being in mid-town (prefer downtown more) but it also doesn't bother me much. I'm fine to Uber around. But I'll happily keep staying in mid-town to be at Aman.
I stayed in the Grand Suite ($7K++ - $10k++ per night) and the Corner Suite ($15k++/night) so my suites were pretty stunning. But the entry rooms are very much a standout as well. As they should be at the price point. I spend a few hours in the entry room before my room was ready and found it very nice.
Typically, hotels' entry rooms have a watered down feel/finish to it compared to the higher rooms/suites, not the case at Aman NY. The Grand Suite, Corner Suite, Aman Suite will all be larger, with even more features but the same high quality finishes/details are extended in the entry rooms as well. Again, as they should be at this price point.

Service:
Day 1 of my service was amazing. For transparency, hotel manager (Petar) and Nicolas (GM at Puri and Managing Director over Asia) were both there to kindly meet me on arrival as they are dear friends and I was with them pretty much the entire first day. Of course service was flawless anywhere we spent time. So I'm not going to count day 1 in my analysis.
Day 2 - 4: Service was a bit inconsistent as I anticipated. When the property was busy, things got slow at the restaurant and lounge. And it got very busy at times due to the buzz of the opening. When the traffic was slower, service was great for NY standards. Staff actively spoke with us and smiled (important trait I look for and enjoy). We had one very odd and rude server at breakfast one morning. Not sure what the deal was. I guess I just had a hate-able face to her. I brought up the encounter to Aman management, to which they apologized and said they will address. There was an incorrect charge on my bill (There just happens to be another Hao Tang staying while I was there, never happened before, lol) and they apologized and fixed it immediately.
Aside from that, service was actually very good for us and we were happy throughout. The BEST groups of staff I encounter were the housekeeping team and the staff at NAMA (Japanese res. on site). I enjoyed Nama so much that we dined 2 nights during the stay and I've rebooked for next week's stay as well. Did I run into housekeeping? Yes. Is this just normal at an Aman city hotel? Yes!
I expected pretty sub-par services given that the hotel was only 6 weeks old and it's not been an easy year to staff in 2022, and walked away pretty happy.
There were some A-listers on site when I was and I fully anticipated the chance of being treated like a second class citizen but I was not. Again, it could be that I have a great relationship with Aman but I'm not sure that it mattered because the staff clearly didn't know me as they graciously asked for my name/room number, most of the time. I wasn't expecting them to remember me/room number (I had the right expectations from Aman Tokyo stays). On a few occasions, someone did remember and addressed me by name which was appreciated.

One huge positive I'd like to point out is that, at no point, was anyone a snob or pretentious to us. I dressed very unassuming. T-shirt, jeans and even shorts on a hot day. No logos - except for Saint Laurent on sneakers that one can't really see. I probably looked like a bum
My wife was pregnant and in 3rd trimester and dressed for max comfort and not for style. But no one treated us like we didn't belong. I bring this up as I've definitely encountered this at other luxe city hotels.

I'm heading back to Aman Tokyo in 2 weeks for my 5th or 6th stay, so I've long adjusted to the city concept of Aman and I'm happy with it. I didn't initially love Aman Tokyo. Took a couple tries and mental adjustments and now I love it.
Yes, Aman city hotels aren't exactly like the Aman resorts, but if I can't find a better alternative, then I'll happily take Aman's concept of one.
I book a lot of Aman Tokyo for clients and many are repeat stays. So I think it's just about having the right expectations. It works for many people.

Pricing:
This is the elephant in the suite.
I do think $3,200 - $5,000++/night for regular rooms are high. But that's not a surprise given it's Aman's flagship city property. Top Aman residence also sold for over $180Million.
Entry rooms/suites is where I find it more difficult to advise my clients. While their entry rooms (775sqft - 850sqft) are larger than many of the full suites at other properties, due to not having true separation of living and bed rooms, it just doesn't feel like a suite.
So much of the room's space is allocated to the bathroom and a gorgeous bathroom it is. I have no problem spending time in their lower rooms and you can see no expenses were spared but I just wouldn't call it a true suite.
For someone who's budget is $2k++/night in NY, I wouldn't want to encourage them to stretch their budget for Aman. Just too big of a jump and I'm not sure they will appreciate the details enough to justify it. I don't think this is Aman NY's target market.
During my stay, I've never seen more billionaires under one single roof at once. At one point, I counted over $200Billion in the lounge at the same time.
For clients who typically spends bout $3k - $5k at other hotels in suites, I would make an argument that it's better to be in a "room" of 775sqft - 850sqft at Aman than an old sub par suite elsewhere in mid-town.
Not only is the finish/quality way higher at Aman, you also get the terrace, pool, spa.
Here's the interesting realization for me...for my clients who do spend $10K-$30K++ per night, I for sure would encourage them to book Aman NY over others. Baccarat's top suite is $25k++/night, MO is $20k and up, even Park Hyatt is $25k++. All these are rack rates of course, I usually then negotiate discounts. But for comparison sake, it's apples to apples.
The top suites at Aman are brand new and done well for my and many of my clients' taste but the no brainer part is because with Aman, you get all the other hotel facilities/amenities that MO, Pen, PH, Baccarat, just don't have.

This property clearly is meant for the ultra high networth and price isn't their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th priority when deciding on where to stay. They just want the best product in a given market.
Aman NY isn't a property I can afford to stay every time I go to the city. So I'll likely split time between Aman NY and Baccarat in mid-town. And FS or Greenwich for times I need to be in lower Manhattan.

I have another set of clients leaving tomorrow and I'll get their feedback.

At this time, when I speak with my clients who are interested in going to Aman NY, I've shared that only book it if they are okay with the idea of paying for the best hard product in mid-town (maybe all of NY) but expect average service for NY. Hopefully they will be surpsied to the upside on the service front like I was. But best to be realistic and avoid disappointments.
I do think it will be similar to Aman Tokyo in that it will take a year or more for them to really polish out the service and operation. But I've had way worst service at other NY luxe hotels, so I don't see a better alternative on that front.

For now, those are my thoughts...let's see how it goes next week.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Sep 21, 2022 at 8:14 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

besides main building there is also an annex
some premier and grand in annex (floor to ceiling window)
at least part of spa in annex (including spa house terraces)
and a few residences are on top floors of annex (16,17,18)

seems 0 fully separated suites, for those who require/prefer.
corner & aman same: "Corner views of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street"
and their hotel website room pages both use the same photo
photo is same layout as photo in brochure i posted below

alternative >
Fifth Avenue Junior Suites (entry)
can connect to
(6) Fifth Avenue Suites (below grand)
premier sanctuary does not list connecting
premier 57th street is not described but is listed in factsheet

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I stayed in...Corner Suite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great entry rooms include small dining table and fireplace
0 fully separated suites
handling access to property sounds like it needs improvement, but again some will pay for 'guest-only' including me. remains to be seen what they do in future in terms of dining/spa. i would pay a premium for aman NYC if i had to be in NYC. i would have paid more of a premium if it had even fewer rooms.

the penthouse has not closed yet. also none of the 3 units on 16th floor, makes me wonder if a single buyer bought all 3. 13 closed, 9 left.

re NYC likely lowell and perhaps mark are still good but neither have pool, spa, outdoor.

re dining table and 2 chairs, personally that seems like a much better option than desk, 1 chair, etc. more flexible use than 1 chaise/etc.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 26, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure if this mentioned re noi, also other new villas/residences, including different features and settings on ocean

850 lake
900 mountain
1150 ocean
1400 mountain pool
1550 125m2 ocean pool
2100 280m2 amanoi ocean pool / 172m2 wellness pool
2800 445m2 ocean pool residence (new?)
aman.com/resorts/amanoi/accommodation/residence/one-bedroom-ocean-pool-residence
Private residence’s buggy
Personal chef to cater for private BBQ dinner in the residence
Welcome reception with champagne and canapé in the residence
24/7 butler service
giri >
Smoking of any kind is prohibited in Amangiri’s guest rooms, pavilions and public areas except in designated smoking areas. The violation of this policy will result in an additional room night charge.
giri rates for entry room
2019 - 1550>3300 (+1750)
2023 - 2800>4400 (+1600) also tent / pavilion rates way up from 2020 , though rates loaded prior to covid. apr opening delayed until jul.

re giri, will be interesting to see what happens with upcoming residences, and if they add more locations for tents. not sure what "six areas" for tents meant in a 2010 interview.

giri quotes (basically one-liners from many regulars) >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30716202-post264.html

details on how giri came to be >
Amanresorts Thread 2013 (Started by Amanjunkie)
unfortunately only my quotes as article link no longer works

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 30, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Recently returned from a 3 week sojourn through Indonesia revisiting Amandari, Amankila and trying Amanjiwo for the first time. Of these, my favorite experience was certainly Amanjiwo. Will thoroughly elaborate on Kila, Dari later......

For now happy to share a 4K tour of Amanjiwo for a look into the property in 2022. It goes without say, GM Jan Hess was a fabulous host and truly made it his mission to ensure we had a true Aman experience. We are thankful.

Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by luxefarer
Recently returned from a 3 week sojourn through Indonesia revisiting Amandari, Amankila and trying Amanjiwo for the first time. Of these, my favorite experience was certainly Amanjiwo. Will thoroughly elaborate on Kila, Dari later......

For now happy to share a 4K tour of Amanjiwo for a look into the property in 2022. It goes without say, GM Jan Hess was a fabulous host and truly made it his mission to ensure we had a true Aman experience. We are thankful.

https://youtu.be/M07Bnphk9fY
I've said it before, but I looooove your videos. They're so calming. None of that yappyness of other vlogs.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I've said it before, but I looooove your videos. They're so calming. None of that yappyness of other vlogs.
thank you 🙏 appreciate the feedback.

Amandari & kila next, stay tuned ! ….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.