Reload this Page >

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread -- 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:28 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I heard from two people very familiar with the matter that the Aman by the river in Bangkok will in fact not be an Aman (next to MOBKK).

Essentially means that the Nai Lert park property will be the only Aman in town.

VD was there not too long ago and ultimately decided against it.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:47 am

Aman supposedly developing a resort on… Mykonos! What’s next? A night club with resort attached on Ibiza? Aman Las Vegas? Tulum?

All of a sudden, Aman Saudi Arabia sounds oh so wonderful
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Aman supposedly developing a resort on… Mykonos! What’s next? A night club with resort attached on Ibiza? Aman Las Vegas? Tulum?

All of a sudden, Aman Saudi Arabia sounds oh so wonderful
I guess VD also likes going to Mykonos and needs his Aman there.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:46 am

Just been targeted by Ads for their new products - seems they're expanding the range with at least an 'Ocean Bottle'... https://shop.aman.com/en/product/ocean-bottle/
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great article i just read this for first time, lots of aman history >
gastroenophile.co.uk/2020/08/ed-tuttle-death-of-architectural-genius.html

great post i just read for first time >

Originally Posted by Musken
What I love about the Amans, is that they tend to offer not only the obvious sights that "everyone" wants to see, but also simple treks in the local nature with a guide knowing a lot about the flora and fauna, things you might not even notice by yourself and you walk with the guide and really noone else, except some locals who you might meet.
aman does not follow the standard set by western chains of sheltering guests >

...Amankila. The driver helped us dressing properly in sarongs and we joined him and around 1.000 locals in a huge ceremony... driver did his best to explain everything for us, and acted as translator between the local boys and our son
Only need to dress properly in sarong. We were alone as only tourists
What Aman does really well at Dari for example is that they are very closely connected to the local village where many employees live and they let tourist take place during very small and intimate local ceremonies in this village, almost as part of the village people. We would for example go to the local temple to give offerings after the cooking class at Bali. This is something that no FS does - at least not the ones that I have been to. But find and take you to a larger ceremony, I guess they could have done. But they have never been as good as Amans in terms of making you aware of these things. I remember being at FS Jimbaran during Ogoh-ogoh and nyepi three years ago. We saw the Ogoh-ogoh being carried around and out of the FS by the staff, asked reception wether we should go and have a look at the happening at night. We were not really told what to expect and ended up not going (wrong!)
Originally Posted by Ericka
Amanusa...That afternoon, we took the VW Thing to the beach and enjoyed the great service from our beach bale. On the way back, our driver stopped when he noticed a traditional ceremony underway (we won’t discuss the details as it’s not really PC by western standards). When we thanked him for sharing this impromptu moment with us, he told us how much fun it was for him to share. “My job is my hobby. My hobby is my job.” And that pretty well sums up why we try to include an Aman in all of our vacations.
i will also put this here >

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Amanjiwo may be the most magical place we've ever been short of Singita Boulders Lodge. You will love it, especially if you have any appreciation of a spiritual feel. Neither of us are spiritual in the least, but Amanjiwo (and to a less extent, Amandari in Ubud) really struck us in the most spiritual way. It was pure magic and total escape for us.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2022 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Here is our video tour of Amanpuri from a stay in January 2022. . I am happy to say GM Khun Nicolas has really improved Amanpuri.

Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:16 pm

Does anyone know when Aman New York will open?

We talked to someone who worked at Gani during a recent stay and he said they get 5 comp nights per year at any Aman property as an employee perk. A little trivia that probably only FTers would appreciate
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by benjinito
Does anyone know when Aman New York will open?

We talked to someone who worked at Gani during a recent stay and he said they get 5 comp nights per year at any Aman property as an employee perk. A little trivia that probably only FTers would appreciate
Soft opening end of April, official opening in May.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:26 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Greetings from Parrot Cay! Just enjoyed lunch and afternoon drinks with the legend himself, Tapa (Pulo + S.S./EU). I'm sure some of the junkies here miss seeing him at an Aman

Back on topic...Can also confirm the unspoken target is April soft opening and May, officially.
Fingers crossed for constructions to go smoothly here at the end of the race.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Sharing my experience of Amanzoe at that time under the management of Paul Linder, July 2021.
Few service flaws, but of course an iconic property. Will certainly opt for a villa on our next visit.

Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I heard that Aman AlUla hired Patrick Krauth from PH Busan in South Korea. I presume he's going to also be Director of Food there too.

He did a fine job at PH Busan considering ownership's penny pinching ways and always fulfilled my personal F&B requests.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by luxefarer
Sharing my experience of Amanzoe at that time under the management of Paul Linder, July 2021.
Few service flaws, but of course an iconic property. Will certainly opt for a villa on our next visit.

https://youtu.be/U5Ijh2EhaMs
It seems you had the same Pavilion I had during my stay

Last edited by offerendum; Feb 8, 2022 at 11:51 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Greetings all -- I'm headed to Amanwella and Amangalla for my honeymoon next week It will be our first (but hopefully not last) experience with Aman resorts.

We're doing the Fort & Beach Journey package to split time between the resorts. I'm here to solicit any tips on must-do (or most-avoid) activities. Below are some of the tentative ideas that I'm considering so far; most are Aman-organized activities, though a few ideas came from a friend who lives in Sri Lanka. All feedback on these ideas are welcome. And I also welcome any tips on making the most of the Aman experience; any special Aman-specific things to ask for or do? Thanks all.

Amanwella
  • One 60-minute Amanwella massage per person (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
  • Private Beach BBQ
  • Visit to Yala National Park
    • Detour to visit Kataragama temple afterwards before returning to Amanwella?
  • Sunset Beach Cocktails
  • Sunset visit to Mulgirigala Rock Temple (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
  • Fishing Trip
While in transit between Amanwella and Amangalla:
  • Visit to a Cinnamon Plantation with a private picnic (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
Amangalla
  • Guided tour of Galle Fort (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
  • Sandalwood facial for her and a traditional shave for him (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
  • Tour the best shopping areas with an Amangalla guide
  • Afternoon tea (included with Fort & Beach Journey package)
Other ideas
  • Day trip to visit Mirissa Beach?
  • Potential visit to Lunuganga Geoffrey Bawa’s Country Estate for lunch while enroute back to the airport to depart?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
At Amangalla, make sure to get the garlic curry for lunch. Also, when you get settled into the time zone, book the spa rooms at Amangalla, they are great. For the afternoon tea do it around sunset on the top floor of the old building. Finally, I would highly recommend going to the museum down the block. Don't remember exactly what it is called but has a ton of artifacts from all of the different cultures that have made stops in Galle over the years as a trading post.

At Amanwella, I did the fishing trip. The fishing itself when we were there in 2019 was not on an Aman boat or anything, but there is a ton of marlin in the water and we had a great lunch! The kickboxing instructor was also great.
If you are going to do Yala, I would honestly spend a 1 fewer night at Amanwella and just stay at a lodge there so you can be out first thing in the morning, and there are some really nice hotels there as well.

Either way, congrats on the honeymoon and have a great trip!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:32 am

You don't need a guide in Galle. Just wander around. Guides always get in the way, always rabbiting on and preventing you from fully absorbing the feel, the sound and the smell of place. The ramparts at sunset are beautiful and often crowded with local people. I got up one morning especially early and went to the fish market to see the catch arriving. A marvellous photo-op if you are a photographer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.