Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel in Paris, with an elegant feel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am a new member. I have read a lot but not been a member until today. My English are not the best, so please be nice.
I am sorry if this already have been discussed before... Trust me, I have read a lot about the luxury hotels in Paris but I have not read the answer to this specific question.

Ok..to my question...I am fascinated about Paris. Love the city. My economy have been more limited before, and a result from that is of course that I've been staying at nice but cheaper hotels. Long story short, my economy are better these days, and I want to stay nicer.

I have been looking at the websites and read reviews of all the palace hotels. I have a hangup about George V (I don't really know why) and I will be staying there one day, just to do it. But my fear of these hotels is that I am going to be disappointed. A lot of famous hotels in NYC, the Plaza for example, have a lot of tourists with more money than taste, so to speak. I hope you understand, and I don't want to step on anyones toes. My fear, and what I don't really like, are big hotels that have a lot of bling bling going on, many Ferrari cars outside (brand new cars...not the lovely vintage ones), a lot of people with more money (or pretending to being rich) than taste, big ugly watches, clothes with large logos etc etc.

I want to find a luxury hotel in Paris with a good taste/feel. I really love clothes for example, and just love to walk around in Paris to watch locals with their great taste. Is there any hotel in Paris that have the same level of service as the palace hotels but with a more discreet good elegant feel?

From my research so far, the hotel that I believe I should stay away from: George V, The Ritz, Le Meurice, Plaza Athenee.
Hotels that I consider so far from my research are: De Crillon, Lutetia, L'Hotel, La Reserve...but is it now I need your help. I would be very grateful if you could give me some help which of the hotels I should be looking at!

Many thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to consider Prince des Galles (Marriott Bonvoy now, was Starwood Luxury Collection). It had many fans among SPG elites. The location is fairly close to Plaza Athenee.

Check also for places on Ille St Louis, but this area gets lots of tourists and has its tourist trap souvenir shops etc. in addition to the ice cream. I stayed once in a small duplex suite in a place that was a good three star in a historical horse stable with a courtyard at the far end of the island, so it was quiet, but I don't remember the name. You'll find fat most four star boutique hotels here, not true luxury.

l'Hotel de Crillon IMO was much nicer before the big renovation. I really liked it in the past, although I once had a standard room in the back that was small and ratty. I especially don't like what they did to the restaurants. It does have parking for a selection of splashy cars, although during one stay, it featured impressive antique vehicles as Blood Sweat and Tears were also staying (but they didn't create any issues other than the crowd in front with police restricting access to the building). It's next door to the American Embassy with guards that discourage crowds; the side street is blocked to vehicles most of the time IME. More recently I've been going to the Park Hyatt Vendome in somewhat the same neighborhood, which you might or might not like.

Lutetia could be interesting as it's on the left bank, but it's also been renovated. I don't know how much of its Art Deco history was preserved.

Bristol (right bank and in a good area for shopping) has always impressed me as being a bit more quiet and discrete than other hotels in its class, but it's arguably not quite in the same class as the very best palace hotels in Paris.

l'Hotel is very small, discrete, and located on the middle of the block on a fairly minor street that gets some pedestrian traffic (shopping and tourists who know) but the hotel just has a loading zone for one or two vehicles in front. You won't find flashy cars parked here by the hotel and in fact, most people going past aren't aware that a luxury hotel is here. Some rooms are small but the decor is over the top and the suites are gorgeous or at least interesting if they're not to your taste. The lobby is small with limited F&B outlets and minimal other facilities. I'd worry a bit that the place might attract somewhat of a celebrity clientele or have a cult following. Think of it as a bit like staying in the Versace mansion in South Beach that became a private hotel or private club with a few hotel rooms that could be booked through AmEx.

If you don't insist on true luxury (and some of the hotels here aren't), consider some of the interesting four star boutique hotels in the 6th and 7th. (Rue Jacob would have been a good starting place in the past, but now there are more such places outside of the St Germain area.) A few of these would participate in FHR/Virtuoso or could be found on lists such as R&C, LHW, Small Luxury Hotels, etc. but you should expect standard rooms to be small and fairly minimal, etc. and there might not even be a full service restaurant etc. in the hotel, but the service will be very personal. It depends on what you require and what you want.

Is there still a St James Club hotel in Paris and is it bookable by the general public?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer!
I will take a look at Prince de Galles.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Park Hyatt Paris is currently doing a book two nights, get third night free deal. I was able to get this rate for a late May booking. Location is a stone's throw from the Ritz. Never seen a string of Ferraris parked outside either hotel!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
We have had a couple amazing stays at Hotel Le Fouquet’s. I’m not sure if they are currently open but based on my past experience it was fantastic.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:54 am

Big fan of the Lutetia personally. I think you’ll find what you’re looking for there. The only car in front will be the hotel’s Bentley and I found the clientele to be quite old money, except the one time they hosted a Hublot event at the hotel, which attracted a different crowd. Located in a lovely neighbourhood as well, that feels less touristic and more authentic than some others you are considering.

if you want to be in the midst of the action, Hotel de Crillon is apparently the place to be, based on this forum and some friends who stayed there pre-Covid.
socalduck likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Though I live abroad these days, I'm from Paris. If you what you look for is the elegance and a true local vibe, then the Lutetia is by far your best choice. As Passportinonehand says, the cliente is quite old money and the hotel F&B outlets are a favorite among Parisian crowd (especially the Bar Joséphine and Brasserie Lutetia). The spa is amazing, the service is on par with the other Palaces and the renovation has been done with incredible taste. The surroundings are heavily frequented by locals (Le Bon Marché is the most adored department store in Paris, much more than Printemps and Galerie Lafayette that are much more touristy). The same can't be said about the neighbourhoods of the George V, Park Hyatt, La Reserve, Crillon, etc. Great hotels but in the midst of Middle East and Asian luxury tourism.
H.Lombardo likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Satie
Though I live abroad these days, I'm from Paris. If you what you look for is the elegance and a true local vibe, then the Lutetia is by far your best choice. As Passportinonehand says, the cliente is quite old money and the hotel F&B outlets are a favorite among Parisian crowd (especially the Bar Joséphine and Brasserie Lutetia). The spa is amazing, the service is on par with the other Palaces and the renovation has been done with incredible taste. The surroundings are heavily frequented by locals (Le Bon Marché is the most adored department store in Paris, much more than Printemps and Galerie Lafayette that are much more touristy). The same can't be said about the neighbourhoods of the George V, Park Hyatt, La Reserve, Crillon, etc. Great hotels but in the midst of Middle East and Asian luxury tourism.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your answer, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Your last sentence really confirmed my fears, and that's exactly what I meant in my first post.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

How about the Grand Powers? Anyone staying there and can it be compared to Lutetia? Of course I know it's a much smaller hotel...
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The Park Hyatt Paris is currently doing a book two nights, get third night free deal. I was able to get this rate for a late May booking. Location is a stone's throw from the Ritz. Never seen a string of Ferraris parked outside either hotel!
Do you know if TSUs can be applied on the deal? Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by Halebaluba
How about the Grand Powers? Anyone staying there and can it be compared to Lutetia? Of course I know it's a much smaller hotel...
Grand Powers is a very fine hotel but IMO not in the same league than the Lutetia. And the area near the Champs Elysées is a bit touristy
MSPeconomist and H.Lombardo like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:12 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Of the hotels you've mentioned, La Reserve is quite beautiful with a luxurious residential feel.

Among hotels that have not been mentioned, take a look at the Shangri-La. It's right across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower — touristy, yes, but there's something undeniably wonderful about sitting in one's bathtub and watching the lights twinkle at night ... which I was able to do during one stay.

And a new entry into the field of luxury hotels in Paris, Cour des Vosges. Go for a suite on a higher floor overlooking the Place des Vosges. You can book this hotel with Travel Leaders Select amenities which come with a 10% discount off BAR, last time I looked.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
I've seen or stayed at 10 5 star properties in Paris and am generally quite familiar with the product. I would avoid Prince de Galles. (dark and dreary) The George V is rather commercial and a place to see and be seen. Le Meurice quite busy and traffic from general public off busy street. the Shangri La is frayed at the edges and I found the staff to be cold and off putting.

2 places that immediately come to mind for you are :
Le Bristol - rooms feel like a elegant casual french home. Private courtyard for a cocktail or meal. Their 3 star restaurant will rock your socks.
or
Plaza Athenee - limited social space adding to the private feel. More opulent in decor but still very french. a few rooms will have Eiffel Tower views.
And i agree La Reserve is a great choice. Very private. Nice cubbyhole public space for you to enjoy.

Feel free
Holly Lombardo Virtuoso Atlanta
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by H.Lombardo
I've seen or stayed at 10 5 star properties in Paris and am generally quite familiar with the product. I would avoid Prince de Galles. (dark and dreary) The George V is rather commercial and a place to see and be seen. Le Meurice quite busy and traffic from general public off busy street. the Shangri La is frayed at the edges and I found the staff to be cold and off putting.

2 places that immediately come to mind for you are :
Le Bristol - rooms feel like a elegant casual french home. Private courtyard for a cocktail or meal. Their 3 star restaurant will rock your socks.
or
Plaza Athenee - limited social space adding to the private feel. More opulent in decor but still very french. a few rooms will have Eiffel Tower views.
And i agree La Reserve is a great choice. Very private. Nice cubbyhole public space for you to enjoy.

Feel free
Holly Lombardo Virtuoso Atlanta
Thanks for the answer, very helpful.
One question about the (Le) Bristol, I've read it's in desperate need of renovation, so I've put Bristol out of my list. Perhaps that was a bad choice? I love the feel of Bristol (haven't been there though..haha), but from what I've seen and read. Not so sure about the interior from the pics on the website, but the service seems to be very warm and personal, and I like that, not stiff and snobbish (in a bad way). For me, service is everything.

La reserve, yes that seems to a hotel I'm looking for of the Palace hotels. Smaller, yet very high level of service and discreet.

Which one of the palace hotels do the locals actually prefer? I can understand if it's a strange question...but I am on Holiday at home right now, so I don't have much to do except dreaming away to Paris, to be honest.

Last edited by Halebaluba; Dec 30, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Le Bristol has recently been renovated. The guest rooms had previously been designed by the wife of the owner, and her styling tastes were outmoded. They now have a lighter, cleaner look — subtly so — but that small change made a huge difference.

Be sure to book through Oetker Pearl for upgrade at booking and a higher hotel credit for multi-night stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.