Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel in Paris, with an elegant feel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel in Paris, with an elegant feel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Understated elegance, exceptionally splendid service to be found at Le Bristol, plus the courtyard garden. Not too large, wonderfully Parisian.
obscure2k and FlyerEC like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by Halebaluba
Thanks for the answer, very helpful.
One question about the (Le) Bristol, I've read it's in desperate need of renovation, so I've put Bristol out of my list. Perhaps that was a bad choice? I love the feel of Bristol (haven't been there though..haha), but from what I've seen and read. Not so sure about the interior from the pics on the website, but the service seems to be very warm and personal, and I like that, not stiff and snobbish (in a bad way). For me, service is everything.

La reserve, yes that seems to a hotel I'm looking for of the Palace hotels. Smaller, yet very high level of service and discreet.

Which one of the palace hotels do the locals actually prefer? I can understand if it's a strange question...but I am on Holiday at home right now, so I don't have much to do except dreaming away to Paris, to be honest.
I’d say that these days the Palaces most frequented by locals are the Lutetia, the Bristol and the Crillon.

Most rooms and suites have been renovated at the Bristol. The renovation has maintained the exact same style than before, very classical and less bling than the Plaza or the Ritz for instance. The Oetker family has a very conservative approach when renovating some of its hotels. Their flagship, the Brenners in Baden Baden, has been maintaining the same style for decades yet the hotel doesn’t feel old at all and is a great hotel.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Satie
I’d say that these days the Palaces most frequented by locals are the Lutetia, the Bristol and the Crillon.

Most rooms and suites have been renovated at the Bristol. The renovation has maintained the exact same style than before, very classical and less bling than the Plaza or the Ritz for instance. The Oetker family has a very conservative approach when renovating some of its hotels. Their flagship, the Brenners in Baden Baden, has been maintaining the same style for decades yet the hotel doesn’t feel old at all and is a great hotel.
Thanks!
To be honest, regardless how much money I would have I think most of the times I would prefer to stay at these smaller luxury hotels in the saint germain area rather than at the big chains. But this time I will surprise my girlfriend with a romantic stay and try an iconic palace. Therefore, I think it now stands between De Crillon and Le Bristol. Both recently renovated as well what I've read. However, I have no doubt about that the Lutetia is a wonderful hotel, but for me, Saint Germain is more associated with smaller boutique hotels, and the right bank with the large palaces.

Ok, I'll now invest some time in reading about Crillon and Bristol.
Thank you for all the help!
United747 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:29 am

I think location is quite important in Paris, as it is anywhere. I'm not that keen on the Plaza A or the George V among all those boring fashion brands and a lot of ostentatious wealth. The Ritz has a brilliant location, right on Place Vendome, as does the Crillon and the Meurice. My favourite part of Paris is the Place des Vosges where there is a nice hotel, the Pavillon de la Reine. However, were I to visit Paris again I would definitely opt for the new hotel in the Places des Vosges which apparently has stunning views of the square from many of the rooms. It looks tres sophisticated and so probably not many tourists or flash cars outside.

https://courdesvosges.com
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Dec 31, 2020 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
Be careful what you "read" as far as reviews. For every comment that gets it right 20 will get it wrong.
Oetker will not permit Le Bristol to have a thread out of place. You can go to the bank with that.
I've always thought that the hotels rooms do not photograph well. Even what you see on their website or my own absolutely do not do the rooms justice .
I think that happens many times to clean line type rooms when you try to photograph them.
The service there is professional, attentive, warm without being too casual.
The public space is going to have a larger hotel living style lobby so you are not hidden per se however there is none of that show type scene you see elsewhere.
The spaces are light and bright. Although there are a 2-3 top tier hotels I have not seen.
Le Bristol and Plaza Athenee are my personal favs based on what you have stated here on this forum.
I hope this was helpful for you ~

Happy New Year to you and yours !
Looking forward to kicking 2020 to the curb and ringing in the new year with joy - good health - and of course TRAVEL !

Holly Lombardo
Atlanta, GA
Virtuoso
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by H.Lombardo; Dec 31, 2020 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:39 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Pausanias
My favourite part of Paris is the Place des Vosges where there is a nice hotel, the Pavillon de la Reine. However, were I to visit Paris again I would definitely opt for the new hotel in the Places des Vosges which apparently has stunning views of the square from many of the rooms. It looks tres sophisticated and so probably not many tourists or flash cars outside.

I love this area. It's my perfect area to stay, great walking, intriguing small museums, beautiful square. It's good to know about the new hotel.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:01 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Do you know if TSUs can be applied on the deal? Thanks!
Sorry, don't know. If I had to guess, Id say probably.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think location is quite important in Paris, as it is anywhere. I'm not that keen on the Plaza A or the George V among all those boring fashion brands and a lot of ostentatious wealth. The Ritz has a brilliant location, right on Place Vendome, as does the Crillon and the Meurice. My favourite part of Paris is the Place des Vosges where there is a nice hotel, the Pavillon de la Reine. However, were I to visit Paris again I would definitely opt for the new hotel in the Places des Vosges which apparently has stunning views of the square from many of the rooms. It looks tres sophisticated and so probably not many tourists or flash cars outside.

Thanks for this. I have been staying at the D’Aubusson and the Relais Christine which are both wonderful, but this could be a great change of location right on one of the most beautiful squares in the world.
offerendum and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

What kind of clientele do the different palace hotels attract in general? It sounds like that many people here on the forum are quite familiar with several of the palaces, so it would be interesting to know. I have got some info above, but for example the following: George V, Bristol, Ritz, Le Meurice, Plaza Athenee, Crillon, Royal Monceau. Do some of the hotels attract more of younger/older people, americans, europeans, asians, arabs, trendy hip fashion people? In other cities, different hotels often attract different crowd, so I suppose it's the same in Paris?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Halebaluba
What kind of clientele do the different palace hotels attract in general? It sounds like that many people here on the forum are quite familiar with several of the palaces, so it would be interesting to know. I have got some info above, but for example the following: George V, Bristol, Ritz, Le Meurice, Plaza Athenee, Crillon, Royal Monceau. Do some of the hotels attract more of younger/older people, americans, europeans, asians, arabs, trendy hip fashion people? In other cities, different hotels often attract different crowd, so I suppose it's the same in Paris?
You are absolute correct, different hotels attract different people. You are not to keen of a special clientele what I understand. So yes, you can minimize the chance to meet people you don't like. BUT from my experience most disturbing experiences with other guest normally focused on one or two persons/ groups who made my stay less enjoyable. What I wonna say is: It can happen everywhere. So I would still book the hotel I like most and/ or is acceptable priced for what I get. Mostly if you prefer some style the crowd you prefer does the same.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
You are absolute correct, different hotels attract different people. You are not to keen of a special clientele what I understand. So yes, you can minimize the chance to meet people you don't like. BUT from my experience most disturbing experiences with other guest normally focused on one or two persons/ groups who made my stay less enjoyable. What I wonna say is: It can happen everywhere. So I would still book the hotel I like most and/ or is acceptable priced for what I get. Mostly if you prefer some style the crowd you prefer does the same.
Ok, when I read your answer, I see for myself that my post perhaps didn't sound so good, so excuse me.
This was just a question (in my thoughts) mostly about which hotels have a younger clientele and which ones have older clientele. I prefer as I wrote in my first post, more low key style than bling "new money", of course that is what I prefer, but at the same time I am not an English 70 year old stuffy "gentleman" from the countryside. Hehe, I am around 35 and together with a girl from another culture than me. We both love clothes a lot, and we also love good food and wines.
So I ask the question again, which of the hotels attract younger and older people? Some of these hotels have different kind of service I can imagine, some more stiff and formal service perhaps, and some a more laid back feeling?

I already got a lot of help from you, very kind, and I will not continue to ask more question about the same thing, but as a last question, younger/older clientele would be interesting to know.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:35 am
Original Member

Le Bristol is fully booked during Fashion Week, as are many of the best venues.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:40 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Someone very early on in the thread mentioned the Saint James and I would consider that as well though its temporarily closed for now (opening in Spring they say). It's not the same level as the "Palaces" but I would still consider it high-end and it is in a lovely location in the upscale 16th arrondissement and it is a truly beautiful property. It is a Relais et Chateaux, so the dining is very high quality and it gave off a more low-key, low pressure vibe. In the R&C thread, a lot of people familiar with R&C properties speak very highly of it. It is technically a private club but I think would work well for a younger (30s+) couple. When we stayed, we loved that it was off the main tourist track but still close enough and that it had that Parisian high-end feel but not stuffy at all. Generally prices will be lower than the palaces mentioned above, so I consider it a value option.
FlyerEC and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jbb
Someone very early on in the thread mentioned the Saint James and I would consider that as well though its temporarily closed for now (opening in Spring they say). It's not the same level as the "Palaces" but I would still consider it high-end and it is in a lovely location in the upscale 16th arrondissement and it is a truly beautiful property. It is a Relais et Chateaux, so the dining is very high quality and it gave off a more low-key, low pressure vibe. In the R&C thread, a lot of people familiar with R&C properties speak very highly of it. It is technically a private club but I think would work well for a younger (30s+) couple. When we stayed, we loved that it was off the main tourist track but still close enough and that it had that Parisian high-end feel but not stuffy at all. Generally prices will be lower than the palaces mentioned above, so I consider it a value option.
Agreed, with bells on.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks. I mentioned the Saint James and asked whether it was a private club upthread.

I also first mentioned the Bristol, with others adding some information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.