Wiki Posts
Search

Dreams of Four Seasons Damascus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Dreams of Four Seasons Damascus

I had a vivid dream of one of many stays at this property (and now city and country) that are a memory. For any of you that stayed there and loved Damascus and Syria as one of the most incredible cities and cultures the world will ever know - then you know what it feels like.

After the death of a very young colleague, Adeline Fagan, M.D from coronavirus (Dr. Fagan was only 28 and was exposed to COVID while attending to patients in the ED - Im sure the genius travel advisor who had such amazing feedback some weeks back will come along to comment). I experienced these vivid recollections of Damascus and endless summer nights with the murmurs from the alleys or the beautiful Four Seasons pool the ultimate in the country. What a spectacular hotel and sadly one that literally epitomizes the tragedy of Syria. Does anyone else have recollections of stays at this Four Seasons legend? Also, despite some cursory effort I could not find out the status of the property today and if it is operational as something else?
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:43 am

https://www.google.be/amp/s/amp.then...tions-1.877089
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:49 am

I stayed at FS Damascus when it first opened and fell in love with the city and its people, who were incredibly hospitable and warm. The food was amazing and I discovered that back in 1987, the government did a study to find out which was the most effective farming method. Their conclusion was 'organic', so from that point on, everything was farmed organically, which explained why the fresh produce tasted so good. I will never forget that hotel or Syria - both magical experiences.
SanDiego1K, Fly_IAD and FlyerEC like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I stayed at FS Damascus when it first opened and fell in love with the city and its people, who were incredibly hospitable and warm. The food was amazing and I discovered that back in 1987, the government did a study to find out which was the most effective farming method. Their conclusion was 'organic', so from that point on, everything was farmed organically, which explained why the fresh produce tasted so good. I will never forget that hotel or Syria - both magical experiences.
This. You captured what I was reflecting on much more eloquently. I saw the article another person posted “heaven on the edge of hell” quite a statement (unfortunately not hyperbolic). The only other Four Seasons that reminds me a bit of the Damascus legend is FS Cairo at First Residence.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:10 am

I liked the FS Damascus well enough but even better in terms of a memorable stay was on an earlier visit in 1983 at the Meridien in Palmyra - OK, not so great as a hotel but the setting right beside the ruins was extraordinary and it makes me desperately sad to think of the catastrophe that has ruined this country. When I say that the Meridien wasn't so great as a hotel, the terrace overlooking the palms and the ruins was something the FS could not offer. And one night they served our small group a whole roast lamb with all the Arab trimmings - couscous, dates and so on - and Chateau Musar.

That trip was something of a life-changer, ranking with crushing scorpions in our room at a rough hostel in Cyrene, Libya, in 1981 and eating classic French food with Ch. du Pape at Angkor in 1992 for less than $5 per person.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 26, 2020 at 4:16 am
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD

After the death of a very young colleague, Adeline Fagan, M.D from coronavirus (Dr. Fagan was only 28 and was exposed to COVID while attending to patients in the ED - Im sure the genius travel advisor who had such amazing feedback some weeks back will come along to comment).
I’m sorry you lost a colleague. Such a shame to lose them so young.

I too lost a colleague to COVID who was on the frontlines in the ICU. A real hero.

fdw
lb8001 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.