Wiki Posts
Search

Deflagged luxury properties and projects around the world

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

Note: The web page advertises Nizuc as "The Most Instagammable Hotel in the World 2020". I can't think of anything worse, excluding anything in Las Vegas.
That quote is classic, Im not sure if I would find it hysterical or turn around and leave if arriving at a property that advertised this 😂
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:20 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Nizuc in Cancun was intended as an Aman. This is hard to imagine unless the changes made to the initial plans were significant. We didn't like it.

Note: The web page advertises Nizuc as "The Most Instagrammable Hotel in the World 2020". I can't think of anything worse, excluding anything in Las Vegas.
Yea I thought that was a weird one - it seems like a nice enough quick getaway resort for a short weekend, but also does seem a bit strange as a location/place if it were indeed to open as an Aman. Curious what you didn't like about it by the way...

One&Only Desaru Coast (and the other one in Greece or Montenegro?) were also intended as Amans weren't they?

Last edited by chinmoylad; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:27 am
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
so interesting. I remember that there was some separation between Aman Villas and Nusa in terms of them being close but not able to walk from one to another. I imagine it is possible to walk from one of the current villas to the Revivo, for example, to use the spa?
Oh no it's definitely possible to walk (or take the buggy) to use spa and other facilities. The villas themselves are separated but it's all WITHIN the villa compound.
What's curious is that Revivo ITSELF is separated - because it's two villas (or is it three? I thought it was three villas but might be mistaken) - it's not a single compound within the villa compound, it's quite literally two/three SEPARATE villas within the complex, with no internal link (obviously). So depending on which villa you are in and what facilities you are using, you may have to use the buggy and cross through the main Aman villas compound to get to your next Revivo facility.

It's a strange location IMO for the concept (healing/wellness - would definitely have picked somewhere a bit more remote I suppose for what they are trying to achieve and not middle of Nusa Dua - allows for convenience though I suppose) and also doesn't have beach access as I recall, and similarly doesn't have ocean views either, but at the same time if anyone is looking for Aman-designed villas at a great price, it's always an option! You don't have to participate in a wellness/healing retreat progrmame to stay there (though they prefer you do/encourage it).
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
agreed it is so stunning! I am often surprised when I talk to frequent travelers to the region staying at great properties many have not even heard of or thought to look at the Detai. What happened with the property being under GHM?
Same thing that happens to all properties under GHM, probably...

Actually surprised we haven't talked more about GHM in this thread - they must have the greatest number of incredible properties that have been deflagged from their original brand. Is that their whole operational model? Start it up then release it (somehow making a $$$ or two along the way - if they are even in operational profit) or are they just doing something very, very wrong that they keep losing all these incredible properties worldwide?
The Datai
The Surin
Tanah Gajah and The Legian

There are definitely more but those were/are standouts.

Speaking of, Zecha's new pet project Azerai - the Luang Prabang one was deflagged to an Avani+.

Soori is another great one that went independent - used to be Alila Villas Soori. This one, IMO, actually benefits from the deflag - always felt it was neglected/sort of pushed aside as an Alila property because of the iconic Alila Villas Uluawtu, but IMO it was (and is) the better of the two between Uluwatu and Soori.
They reportedly have a New York property in the pipeline but not sure where that is at now.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Was the FS Hoi An originally a GHM resort? Not quite the same deflagging as the others mentioned, but a change.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by francophile
Also, the Pierre used to be a FS, now it's a Taj
That's a big step down IMO.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Was the FS Hoi An originally a GHM resort? Not quite the same deflagging as the others mentioned, but a change.
Correct. In 2016 GHM Nam Hai + 2 in Bali were sold and reflagged. It used to be quite a bit cheaper as GHM if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Same thing that happens to all properties under GHM, probably...

Actually surprised we haven't talked more about GHM in this thread - they must have the greatest number of incredible properties that have been deflagged from their original brand. Is that their whole operational model? Start it up then release it (somehow making a $$$ or two along the way - if they are even in operational profit) or are they just doing something very, very wrong that they keep losing all these incredible properties worldwide?
The Datai
The Surin
Tanah Gajah and The Legian

There are definitely more but those were/are standouts.
The Setai Miami is also a standout IMHO.

Also coming to mind:
- Frégate Island Private (ex Oetker)
- North Island (from hero to zero )
- Maia Seychelles recently (Tsogo Sun sold to Ananantara)
- Gili Lankanfushi (ex Soneva)
- Six Senses Bodrum Kaplankaya (ex Canyon Ranch and IIRC Canyon Ranch also took over from ? )
- Ventana Inn Big Sur (now Alila)

I even forgot a few for now:
- Le Guanahani St Bart went to Rosewood
- As did Cap Juluca Anguilla (now Belmond)
Fly_IAD likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 13, 2020 at 9:27 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:44 pm

Four Seasons Philadelphia

Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow that is a stunning list. I was just in Philly, had I but known. Looks like $195 tonight.
Four Seasons Philadelphia moved from Logan Square (by Swann Fountain) to 60 story Comcast Tower. The Logan Square property is fine - similar to Ritz Carlton Philadelphia deflag to a Westin at Liberty Place. Philly is a weird hotel town.

https://www.fourseasons.com/philadelphia/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Since my post I stayed again in Philly at the Ritz C. Room service was horrible, but the manager took $100 of my room for my 1 night stay when I brought up the failings. And comped the dinner.

Right outside my window I could see the new W which is in the final stages of construction. With the morning sun I could see right into the rooms that had the curtains open and which are fully kitted out with everything except the sheets. It all looks very nice and supposedly due to open in January. So as other hotels close and get deflagged, new hotels open.

And yes, Philly is a strange town for hotels. The two hotels that I thought were correct for their range and price and met expectations are the Kimpton Palomar and Sofitel which happen to be across the street from each other.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The Four Seasons Philly is still hands down the best in the city, and on par with my favorite city hotels in the world.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sophialite
The Four Seasons Philly is still hands down the best in the city, and on par with my favorite city hotels in the world.
Which FS? The Logan Square FS was terrible and they had to flee. I haven't tried the new Comcast property, but isn't that primarily to serve professional athletes and others attending matches?

Any why are we talking so much about Philly in this thread? Upthread it was mentioned some Trump hotels getting deflagged. I see now that only three city Trump hotels remain. New York, Washington, & Chicago. And there are seven golf and resort Trumps out there. You wonder how they stay busy with COVID and politics, but I can say that the New York and Washington properties always seem busy. I have an apartment near the Trump NYC. I drive by there often and always see guests coming and going. And when I'm in DC my regular hotel the Willard is very close to the Trump hotel and it too always seems busy. But how is the Chicago property still operating?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
Which FS? The Logan Square FS was terrible and they had to flee. I haven't tried the new Comcast property, but isn't that primarily to serve professional athletes and others attending matches?

Any why are we talking so much about Philly in this thread? Upthread it was mentioned some Trump hotels getting deflagged. I see now that only three city Trump hotels remain. New York, Washington, & Chicago. And there are seven golf and resort Trumps out there. You wonder how they stay busy with COVID and politics, but I can say that the New York and Washington properties always seem busy. I have an apartment near the Trump NYC. I drive by there often and always see guests coming and going. And when I'm in DC my regular hotel the Willard is very close to the Trump hotel and it too always seems busy. But how is the Chicago property still operating?
The Trump Chicago property was unloading rooms pretty cheaply via Hotwire "opaque" bookings not too long before this pandemic hit Chicago too. Pretty much the same for the Trump Vegas property last year too. The Trump DC property has very high rates for DC and maintains its own high rates way more (and higher) than the nearby Willard. The Trump International NYC is a mixed hotel-residence building and the people that have used it for 20+ years have mostly pretty much continued to use it as usual. Its rates aren't holding up as strongly as the DC property, but they haven't dived as badly as some of the other Trump branded properties were doing so even pre-Q2 2020.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 2020 at 7:49 pm
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's quirky but I've always enjoyed the Hyatt atop the Bellevue (under various names), although I've always had at least a junior suite and once a stunning large corner senior (one bedroom) suite.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
In graduate school I stayed a few times at the Four Seasons Canary Wharf and enjoyed their pool, gym, spa, and the panoramic views of the Thames very much. I visited it again after it deflagged and everything was ok till the front desk staff got into a fight in front of me regarding simply printing my bill. The magic really did leave when Four Seasons left.
Eagle_traveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.