Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Deflagged luxury properties and projects around the world

Deflagged luxury properties and projects around the world

Old Sep 7, 20, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post

Four Seasons Examples:

- Bangkok - continued as Anantara and very much remained hidden gem and stellar deal.
Stayed at the Anantara Siam in January. Completely agree about the above, great hotel and well priced for what you get (dare I mention well priced on this forum?! )
vuittonsofstyle and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 10:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Also, the Pierre used to be a FS, now it's a Taj
Old Sep 7, 20, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I think an Aman was planed in Dubrovnik....
Also RC Atlantic City comes to my mind, also MO Las Vegas.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Curious about luxury properties along lines of Aman and Four Seasons that have deflagged or simply never opened but still exist whether sitting unused or open under different name.

Aman examples:

- Nusa sat empty then became Revivo (well sort of as two former Aman Villas developed into per resident expert FlyerEC ) best nightly rate on planet to get a former Aman villa ?
- Delhi deflagged in name only property seemed not to change much as Lodhi.
- Two Aman property in Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, one in valley sits built but abandoned ?
- Was one of the other worlds better and under appreciated resorts the Detai Langkawi at one point to be an Aman?

Other Aman or Aman to be with similar stories ? paging expert FlyerEC 💙

Four Seasons Examples:

-Vancouver - sad story not sure whats become?
-Damascus - tragic end to a landmark in the region, what is it today?
- Bangkok - continued as Anantara and very much remained hidden gem and stellar deal.
-Jerusalem - never opened as Four Seasons but as Isrotel Orient?

others luxury brand examples?

- Sad to add Six Senses Spa at RC Al Bustan Palace no longer a Six Senses. This was a true spa destination in the region - embodies best of Six Senses style from the ground up in stark contrast to the RC itself (I do not mean this as slight to RC Al Bustan as its one of my favorite properties in world).
- Also in region but some time ago the Evason MaIn in Jordan. Operated for hot second as Evason and was really an interesting property rather like a Jordanian Amangiri if that makes any sense? Now operates as some non luxury spa hotel.

The Four Seasons Vancouver was a scheduled closure in mid-January after 2 years of planning due to the wishes of the landlord. Luckiest plan ever on the landlord's part. Now - - Not sure if Trump Vancouver is in this thread but don't take this as a failure - I'm convinced that the very deep pocketed owners are happy to bankrupt the operating company to ditch the Trump brand, which in Vancouver was about as popular as having a hotel named after the North Korean leader in the middle of Seoul . . . . .
offerendum and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr View Post
ditch the Trump brand.
Some Trump-hotels changed their name....
Old Sep 7, 20, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
Como Treasury Perth was supposed to be an Aman i think

A lovely hotel and supremely undervalued from memory.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Some Trump-hotels changed their name....
What I was implying was that - this hotel is new - only a few years old. It would have had a long-term management contract with big penalties to get out. Since they are now bankrupt, they can get out of the Trump contract for no cost . . and fold the operating company (which had almost no assets anyway). They wanted to ditch it (quietly) since they opened but it would have been cost prohibitive.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:13 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Some chain type , K .. , has taken over Amanusa , supposed to be adding more units . Stalled for now , obviously .

The AMAN Villas at Nusa Dua are different & in separate location , connected by a closed dirt track - the usual local & rights issues ..
Revivo are solely from Nusa Dua Villas . So we now have 3 separate entities / properties with similar or exactly same structure ..
And also some of the Aman villas are private/not in the rental pool - so you have Aman Villas at Nusa Dua, Revivo, some private villas within the same compound, and then Amanusa next door which bears a striking resemblance but is shut off.

It was rumoured Kimpton (?) I think to take over what was formerly Amanusa but not sure what happened of that. I actually think Raffles would have been good to take over that property - a lot of their new resorts seem to be more boutique (they just opened up Bali at Jimbaran next to Four Seasons: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/first-raffles-for-bali/) including the Bali property, Maldives etc - all very low key count, so taking over Amanusa would have been interesting. But obviously the Jimbaran project was well underway when the Amanusa situation occurred.
Plus, anyone taking over Amanusa will have to live with the physical limitations of the property (beach? No multi-bedroom villas? Unless you change the whole architecture/concept around, which would be a shame as it should be preseved).
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:14 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
- Was one of the other worlds better and under appreciated resorts the Detai Langkawi at one point to be an Aman?
Perhaps some of the others can clarify, but was The Datai always built as a GHM? From when it opened to now, it always had too high a room count to be an Aman. But as a hotel (getting around the relatively high key count), it is so stunning it really should be an Aman.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Perhaps some of the others can clarify, but was The Datai always built as a GHM? From when it opened to now, it always had too high a room count to be an Aman. But as a hotel (getting around the relatively high key count), it is so stunning it really should be an Aman.
There is / was GHM to be differentiated from AMAN with the more key / room counts but still with exacting service / standards hallmark of what AZ does .
So Datai & similarly others with more rooms .. were designated GHMs
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chessboxin View Post
A lovely hotel and supremely undervalued from memory.
Wow what a gem looks amazing and I never knew about this before!!!
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
There is / was GHM to be differentiated from AMAN with the more key / room counts but still with exacting service / standards hallmark of what AZ does .
So Datai & similarly others with more rooms .. were designated GHMs
agreed it is so stunning! I am often surprised when I talk to frequent travelers to the region staying at great properties many have not even heard of or thought to look at the Detai. What happened with the property being under GHM?
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And also some of the Aman villas are private/not in the rental pool - so you have Aman Villas at Nusa Dua, Revivo, some private villas within the same compound, and then Amanusa next door which bears a striking resemblance but is shut off.
so interesting. I remember that there was some separation between Aman Villas and Nusa in terms of them being close but not able to walk from one to another. I imagine it is possible to walk from one of the current villas to the Revivo, for example, to use the spa?
Old Sep 10, 20, 9:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
so interesting. I remember that there was some separation between Aman Villas and Nusa in terms of them being close but not able to walk from one to another. I imagine it is possible to walk from one of the current villas to the Revivo, for example, to use the spa?
Oh , definitely walkable to Revivo from the villas if you are into the heat & humidity . They were all Aman villas before .. But we have always used the AMAN vehicle as no walking in the heat & humidity for yours truly .
LinLant and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Nizuc

Nizuc in Cancun was intended as an Aman. This is hard to imagine unless the changes made to the initial plans were significant. We didn't like it.

Note: The web page advertises Nizuc as "The Most Instagrammable Hotel in the World 2020". I can't think of anything worse, excluding anything in Las Vegas.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Sep 10, 20 at 3:02 pm

Search this Thread