FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Rosewood Tucker's Point (Bermuda) - any recent stays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2023318-rosewood-tuckers-point-bermuda-any-recent-stays.html)

mad07 Aug 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Rosewood Tucker's Point (Bermuda) - any recent stays?

Found some older threads talking about Rosewood in Bermuda but wanted to see if anyone has been recently especially post-renovation?

Thanks!

offerendum Oct 7, 2020 6:36 am

Also interested (if my new travel mate Corona allows). I guess still no alternative.

FlyerEC Oct 7, 2020 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 32728993)
Also interested (if my new travel mate Corona allows). I guess still no alternative.

Seems like it ..
Have not returned to Bermuda since the late ‘ 70s ! But Shane L , ex Aman , who is based there to ride out the current global situation tells me it is still the best available .
Have been working on various potential trips - Shane ’ s new outfit is looking good to deliver .

mad07 Oct 8, 2020 10:13 am

We ended up spending a week there. To say there were service issues would be an understatement. @BESVISOR can attest ;)

For me, it was a collection of a ton of little things that added up and became a real problem. So much so that we almost considered moving to the Loren mid-trip.

One of the big problems they have is with their in-room A/C units, which is a nightmare when it's 85 degrees and humid at night. It's pre-set within a range and the only way to change the range is to call the front desk / maintenance, who couldn't really explain what was going on. We spent a few days/nights dealing with that.

Other small issues - room service trays being left in front of door even after calling to pick up, lack of pool attendants and service, poor communication throughout.

On the plus side, there are some fantastic staff there in F&B and it was kind of like being in a protected world when you entered that space.

Recovery was okay but it took a few tries. I wanted to be more sympathetic because of coronavirus and all, but it sounded like there were some real understaffing issues prior. For the price point and the billed 'luxury' of it all, I expected more on the service front. I think theres a Ritz Carlton (or maybe St. Regis) being built up not too far away from the Rosewood so that could provide a welcome alternative in the future!

MikeBOS Oct 8, 2020 11:02 am

We stayed a few weeks ago and were actually very happy. We'd been to the property pre-Covid, though it had been a few years since our last visit, and were pleasantly surprised on this stay, particularly with improvements in the service. A few salient points:

- Service in Bermuda generally is not as proactive as what you'd find in the Caribbean or Asia, for example. Expect to have to ask for things rather than being offered, but when we did ask, we got exactly what we asked for, and we generally got it quickly. This can extend to things you might take for granted in other places, like service at the pool or beach, but if your expectations are appropriate, you should be able to get what you need. I've been to all the large luxury hotels in Bermuda (Fairmonts, Elbow Beach, Rosewood) and would say they are all similar in this respect. I'm not sure how the Loren would compare, though we went to the Pink Beach Club (their restaurant) for 2 dinners and the level of service seemed similar there to what we got at the Rosewood.

- Rooms are very nice, as are the public spaces, including beds, bathrooms, amenities, etc. The Rosewood has much more of a "sense of place" than the Loren, which to me felt like it belonged in Miami Beach. At the Rosewood you know you are in Bermuda, which for us was a positive.

- Location is fairly central; it's easy to get almost anywhere, unlike a place like Cambridge Beaches where it is a $60 cab ride and 1/2 hour+ to most of the island.

- The beach is much, much nicer than the beach at the Loren. Longer, wider, less cramped, IMHO more scenic. This is a major advantage for the Rosewood, I think.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and we're actually going back again in a few weeks -- Bermuda is one of the few places you can safely and easily visit outside the US right now, so we'll be taking another week at the Rosewood soon.

schriste Oct 8, 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by MikeBOS (Post 32732750)
Bermuda is one of the few places you can safely and easily visit outside the US right now, so we'll be taking another week at the Rosewood soon.

Been to Bermuda numerous times over the years and have always enjoyed my stays there. Just took a look at the Covid requirements for Bermuda. Can you confirm you had to take a covid test 72 hours before departure, then register and pay $75 fee with Bermuda health department, then take another test at the airport... and have to quarantine until you got results (24hours) and then take another test on day 4?

MikeBOS Oct 8, 2020 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by schriste (Post 32732932)
Can you confirm you had to take a covid test 72 hours before departure, then register and pay $75 fee with Bermuda health department, then take another test at the airport... and have to quarantine until you got results (24hours) and then take another test on day 4?

Almost...you need the Covid test within a week before, so you have more than 72 hours to get results back. Ours, taken in MA and sent to Labcorp, came back in just a day after they were sent to the lab. The application fee is, as you note, $75, which includes the cost of testing in Bermuda. Once you land, you are tested in the airport -- it added just 10 mins or so to the time getting out of the airport. You then take a taxi straight to your hotel and quarantine in your room (and any dedicated outdoor space) until you get results by email, which came in for us about 8 hours after we landed. Forward the email to the hotel and you are set. You then need to get retested 4 days after you land, if you are staying that long, and again 8 and 14 days after.

This sounds worse than it is. I would say it was very minor overall and made us feel a lot safer about traveling. Bermuda has basically no local transmission of Covid and I think the care they're taking with this program is an important part of the reason why.

schriste Oct 8, 2020 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeBOS (Post 32732994)
This sounds worse than it is. I would say it was very minor overall and made us feel a lot safer about traveling. Bermuda has basically no local transmission of Covid and I think the care they're taking with this program is an important part of the reason why.

Thanks... good to know.

spideysense Oct 24, 2020 9:22 pm

We were deciding between the two but chose the Loren. The Loren rooms are absolutely stunning and have incredible views. We kept the sliding doors open on the patio and fell asleep to the sounds of the waves crashing every night.

We ended up finding out that some friends were staying at the Rosewood, so we went to visit them one night. The hotel grounds are beautiful and we found the service in the restaurants to be quite good. We would probably stay here the next time only because the Loren is quite small and a little too intimate for our liking.

escape4 Jan 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mad07 (Post 32732595)
I think theres a Ritz Carlton (or maybe St. Regis) being built up not too far away from the Rosewood so that could provide a welcome alternative in the future!

St.Regis is supposed to open in May which will provide a luxury alternative to Rosewood. There was also a RC under construction but the project was halted a couple of years ago so we can forget about that one for the foreseeable future.

Rosewood is fine and in fact I used to be a club member there, but personally I think for stays where I want to be in town I pick Fairmont Hamilton Princess over Rosewood. I like Fairmont's renovated suites which are decent. And for stays where I don't mind remote locations, StR will probably offer the most generous elite benefits of the three so I might be able to overlook the inferior location and pick it over Rosewood, if service ends up being up to normal StR standards. I have not stayed at Loren post renovations but in the past I did not think of this hotel in the luxury space.

offerendum Jan 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 32989950)
St.Regis is supposed to open in May which will provide a luxury alternative to Rosewood. There was also a RC under construction but the project was halted a couple of years ago so we can forget about that one for the foreseeable future.

Rosewood is fine and in fact I used to be a club member there, but personally I think for stays where I want to be in town I pick Fairmont Hamilton Princess over Rosewood. I like Fairmont's renovated suites which are decent. And for stays where I don't mind remote locations, StR will probably offer the most generous elite benefits of the three so I might be able to overlook the inferior location and pick it over Rosewood, if service ends up being up to normal StR standards. I have not stayed at Loren post renovations but in the past I did not think of this hotel in the luxury space.

I have a booking for Rosewood in September and hope it works out. St. Regis could be an alternative but we must see. Not a big Marriott fan at the moment.

escape4 Jan 23, 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 32989954)
I have a booking for Rosewood in September and hope it works out. St. Regis could be an alternative but we must see. Not a big Marriott fan at the moment.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Marriott. That said once StR opens I must try it regardless in order to have an idea about the place and compare with others. Worst case scenario is I will have a mediocre stay but a suite + daily breakfast as loyalty benefits has significant value in Bermuda, which is often the drawback of Rosewood which is nice but harder to get solid value for the money if having elite status at Marriott+Accor.

offerendum Jan 24, 2021 4:11 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 32989966)
Yeah, I know what you mean about Marriott. That said once StR opens I must try it regardless in order to have an idea about the place and compare with others. Worst case scenario is I will have a mediocre stay but a suite + daily breakfast as loyalty benefits has significant value in Bermuda, which is often the drawback of Rosewood which is nice but harder to get solid value for the money if having elite status at Marriott+Accor.

To be fair Rosewood has a nice suite-promo at the moment. I had a closer look at the St. Regis homepage yesterday and as long as more pictures (they have only 6 more or less real pictures so far) aren't a gamechanger I still prefer Rosewood. At the moment I'm simply glad if I'm able to travel in September under acceptable conditions (don't mean the monetary ones).

1readyset2go Jul 22, 2021 8:51 pm

We have a stay booked at Rosewood in Sept. This will be our first stay at a Rosewood property. If there is a Regis where we are going we usually stay there but while I liked the look of the rooms at the STR the grounds look like they practically mowed everything down or it was pretty barren to begin with. If not for that I would have booked there. The Rosewood rooms look fine but I love the look of the mature lush grounds. It feels more like what we like.
I will be sure to post a TR when we get back. Also they take care of the testing now on site for your day 4 test so you don't have to worry about making an appointment and going to a clinic for a test which is really great. I had looked at a bunch of places in the Caribbean and this seemed easier with the entry requirements and its also closer for us being based in Nashville. Looking forward to some beach time and seeing Bermuda for the first time as well.

offerendum Jul 23, 2021 12:42 am

I canceled my stay for September yesterday. The immigration regulations even for fully vaccinated people are not what I understand under a pleasant vacation and British Airways cancelled one of my flights:td:. It's a shame as I got a really nice rate....