Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Safari status in Kenya/Tanzania?

Safari status in Kenya/Tanzania?

Old Sep 1, 20, 11:36 am
  #16  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,331
Craig Beal of Travel Beyond was in Kenya in the last couple weeks to see for himself what the situation is. He and Chris Liebenberg traveled together in Tanzania. Craig sometimes posts on FlyerTalk. He will be able to give you up to the date information on the situation there. https://travelbeyond.com/
journeybound likes this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Sep 1, 20, 12:17 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Craig Beal of Travel Beyond was in Kenya in the last couple weeks to see for himself what the situation is. He and Chris Liebenberg traveled together in Tanzania. Craig sometimes posts on FlyerTalk. He will be able to give you up to the date information on the situation there. https://travelbeyond.com/
It's funny you mention Craig! I was just speaking to a partner of mine who helps me design end to end African safari trips for my clients. He told me about Craig's recent trip and pointed me to the detailed recap:

https://travelbeyond.com/craig-east-africa-report/

It's a long, detailed article (in a good way!), but notably, because there was the question about going from Kenya to Tanzania, I'll share this quote from Craig:

"Later in the day, still on July 31, Tanzania announced a ban on all flights from Kenya. So, I had to arrange a road transfer from Nairobi to Arusha, Tanzania on August 9 so that I could meet Chris and begin my Tanzania safari. To add more challenges, they also announced that anyone entering Tanzania from Kenya had to have a COVID test taken within 96 hours of arrival. Since I was going to be in Kenya from August 5-9, there is no way I could meet this requirement by getting tested in the US. I planned a third COVID test at the AMREF medical facility in Nairobi."

Knowing this, with a little planning in advance and when working with the right onsite companies, it should be no problem to get that second COVID test when going from Kenya to Tanzania.
SanDiego1K and SojournsOf like this.
journeybound is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:39 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wayzata, Minnesota, USA
Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Posts: 203
Hi Folks - indeed Chris and I just got back from Tanzania. We were supposed to go to Kenya but he could not go there since they banned Californians the day before we were supposed to leave. I visited Kenya alone and then met Chris in Tanzania. It was incredibly easy. I am happy to report the rules and regulations have all "settled out" and nothing has changed since August 1. Here is my full trip report if you are interested in reading it. Kenya & Tanzania Trip Report

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
SanDiego1K and RichardInSF like this.
SafariCraig is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:47 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wayzata, Minnesota, USA
Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Posts: 203
Journeybound - I just saw your post. I got the covid test I needed to get into Tanzania from Kenya at AMREF in Nairobi. It was $90 and I got it back in 24 hours. This is right next to the Wilson airport where all our clients pass through on the way to/from the Masai Mara and other places. You can enter Tanzania by air with no test results. Entry by land borders requires a recent covid test. Since all flights from Kenya to Tanzania are suspended, I had to go 5 hours by road from Nairobi to Arusha. To be honest, I don't recommend a two country safari right now unless it is Rwanda followed by Tanzania. You could do Rwanda then Kenya with a few more hoops to jump through.

All - if I was to average out the discounts across all currently open lodges in East Africa, it is about 30%. And, Kenya has reduced park fees for everywhere but the Mara until December. There is NOBODY in Africa and they are taking covid much more seriously than we are in MN. I would encourage anyone to go. September is peak of peak season and the crossings are epic this year. You can get to Nairobi every day from Amsterdam, London, Paris and Frankfurt. Qatar is also good. Emirates is flying but testing requirements are problematic. Flights from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro/JRO (if going to Tanzania) are scheduled on Tu, Th, Su for the month of September. You can get to Amsterdam every day on Delta from anywhere in the US to make this 3x per week flight.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
SojournsOf and MSPeconomist like this.
SafariCraig is offline  
Old Sep 3, 20, 3:40 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by SafariCraig View Post
Journeybound - I just saw your post. I got the covid test I needed to get into Tanzania from Kenya at AMREF in Nairobi. It was $90 and I got it back in 24 hours. This is right next to the Wilson airport where all our clients pass through on the way to/from the Masai Mara and other places. You can enter Tanzania by air with no test results. Entry by land borders requires a recent covid test. Since all flights from Kenya to Tanzania are suspended, I had to go 5 hours by road from Nairobi to Arusha. To be honest, I don't recommend a two country safari right now unless it is Rwanda followed by Tanzania. You could do Rwanda then Kenya with a few more hoops to jump through.

All - if I was to average out the discounts across all currently open lodges in East Africa, it is about 30%. And, Kenya has reduced park fees for everywhere but the Mara until December. There is NOBODY in Africa and they are taking covid much more seriously than we are in MN. I would encourage anyone to go. September is peak of peak season and the crossings are epic this year. You can get to Nairobi every day from Amsterdam, London, Paris and Frankfurt. Qatar is also good. Emirates is flying but testing requirements are problematic. Flights from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro/JRO (if going to Tanzania) are scheduled on Tu, Th, Su for the month of September. You can get to Amsterdam every day on Delta from anywhere in the US to make this 3x per week flight.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
That's super helpful Craig, thank you! I want to confirm I am understanding you correctly. Even though you personally found it easy to do Kenya and Tanzania, you would not recommend it for others due to the extra COVID test coupled with the drive (since flights from Kenya to Tanzania are suspended)?

Good (great, actually) to hear they are taking COVID more seriously in Africa than in the US. Based on how the river crossings are going this year, when is the latest you would recommend going in order to catch some of the action?
journeybound is offline  
Old Sep 7, 20, 4:33 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wayzata, MN
Posts: 14
XXXXX
TravelBeyond is offline  
Old Sep 7, 20, 4:36 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wayzata, Minnesota, USA
Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Posts: 203
Hi Journeybound.



Sorry for the slow reply but I am not getting alerts for this thread and therefore just saw your recent question. I would say the odds start diminishing at the end of this month. With a 4+ night stay near the river in early October you probably have a good chance of still seeing some big migration river crossings.



Yes indeed. I recommend against the Tanzania/Kenya combo safari because of the difficulty in getting a mid-safari covid test to meet the timing requirements of the test. Also, there is currently no way to fly from Tanzania to Kenya or vice versa other than private charter. The drive is about 6 hours from Nairobi to Arusha.



Keep in mind, the Mara and Serengeti are the same place transected by an imaginary political boundary. The Lamai Wedge is essentially the same as the Mara Triangle.



Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
obscure2k likes this.
SafariCraig is offline  
Old Sep 8, 20, 4:04 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by SafariCraig View Post
Hi Journeybound.



Sorry for the slow reply but I am not getting alerts for this thread and therefore just saw your recent question. I would say the odds start diminishing at the end of this month. With a 4+ night stay near the river in early October you probably have a good chance of still seeing some big migration river crossings.



Yes indeed. I recommend against the Tanzania/Kenya combo safari because of the difficulty in getting a mid-safari covid test to meet the timing requirements of the test. Also, there is currently no way to fly from Tanzania to Kenya or vice versa other than private charter. The drive is about 6 hours from Nairobi to Arusha.



Keep in mind, the Mara and Serengeti are the same place transected by an imaginary political boundary. The Lamai Wedge is essentially the same as the Mara Triangle.



Craig Beal owner Travel Beyond
Ok perfect, thank you! That's all very helpful. No worries on the delay :-)
journeybound is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 11:40 am
  #24  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,943
Hi guys,

Please can you confirm if one can transit Kenya without the quarantine requirement?

My intention is to have 2 weeks in Tanzania via Nairobi both inbound and outbound. If flights are still cancelled, can I get a car to take me from Arusha to Nairobi Airport for my flight home (thus avoiding quarantine so long as I go straight to the airport or to a hotel for 1 night before my flight)?
flyingcrazy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: