FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Canadian Rockies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2022350-canadian-rockies.html)

1readyset2go Aug 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I am loving this thread! :)

I have for quite a while wanted to do a trip like this. Never stayed in a Fairmont but these sure look pretty from the outside aside from their size! I had always thought I would fly into Calgary and then drive to Banff, LL and Jasper then back to Calgary. I have also looked at the Rocky Mountaineer but it seem I could get just a good an experienced by driving the aforementioned route and save the money for nicer rooms. I also had thought about going late Sept- Oct and hoping the crowds would not be as bad. Being there while it snowed even a little would be really pretty but I do not wish to be there in the dead of winter! Too cold for me :D

KatW Aug 23, 2020 3:18 pm

A travel-writer friend turned me on to these small boutique venues in the Canadian Rockies. They look just right for this sort of trip that does not have luxury options. Small so book ahead.

https://charminginnsofalberta.com

Jasper2009 Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 32624871)
A travel-writer friend turned me on to these small boutique venues in the Canadian Rockies. They look just right for this sort of trip that does not have luxury options. Small so book ahead.

https://charminginnsofalberta.com

Nice list of properties!

I'm only familiar with some of them, but two aspects to really consider for each property:

1) the location
2) the amenities offered vs. the amenities you need/want

E.g. I've heard great things from a family staying at Overlander Mountain Lodge, but the "Jasper East" location is in fact 55km from Jasper. It's actually much closer to Hinton (~25km), a rather unimpressive, blue collar town. It's in a nice location, but just be aware that there is pretty much nothing nearby.

Especially for families who are out and about exploring/hiking all day and don't need (m)any hotel amenities (and may actually prefer to have their own kitchen), many of those cabins / boutique properties offer an excellent experience and often a much better value for money than the hotels in Banff / Lake Louise / Jasper.

Based on your previous reviews/posts, I'm not sure all of them would be the best match for you, but certainly no harm in taking a closer look.

KatW Aug 23, 2020 7:47 pm

I’m hopeful so far. I can downsize when required. And these venues look delightful and well located for country pleaure.

Jasper2009 Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 32625223)
I’m hopeful so far. I can downsize when required. And these venues look delightful and well located for country pleaure.

I look forward to your insights whatever you decide on booking. :)

Having travelled to the Rockies many times myself and planning/booking various stays for clients, there is no "perfect stay".

Here are HUGE differences in terms of:

- attractions/amenities within walking distance, or a 30min drive for that matter
- quality of the room/suite
- getting an "authentic" cabin/lodge experience
- how "independent" / "self-sufficient" you are / want to be
- value for money

Depending on how you value each of those factors, my recommendations would tend to vary greatly. However, it would be pretty hard to not enjoy the Cdn Rockies. ;)

ridefar Aug 26, 2020 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 32625028)
Nice list of properties!

I'm only familiar with some of them, but two aspects to really consider for each property:

1) the location
2) the amenities offered vs. the amenities you need/want

E.g. I've heard great things from a family staying at Overlander Mountain Lodge, but the "Jasper East" location is in fact 55km from Jasper. It's actually much closer to Hinton (~25km), a rather unimpressive, blue collar town. It's in a nice location, but just be aware that there is pretty much nothing nearby.

Especially for families who are out and about exploring/hiking all day and don't need (m)any hotel amenities (and may actually prefer to have their own kitchen), many of those cabins / boutique properties offer an excellent experience and often a much better value for money than the hotels in Banff / Lake Louise / Jasper.

Based on your previous reviews/posts, I'm not sure all of them would be the best match for you, but certainly no harm in taking a closer look.

One option in Jasper if you are looking for your own kitchen: Alpine Village Cabins. Not quite walking distance to Jasper townsite (it is about 4 km away) but a nice spot.

ridefar Aug 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Or, for the truly enterprising who aren't impressed with the offerings so far, you could buy your own: Sierra Cabins -- and turn it into a Dunton Hot Springs experience in the North. The scenery truly is spectacular -- in a province with lots of beautiful spots the south eastern edge of the Rockies in Alberta are some of my favourites. We drove by it on the way back from the Prince of Wales in Waterton (I will post a mini-review shortly) and it is all about the location.

journeybound Aug 28, 2020 5:17 am

I agree with the sentiment of most of this thread, that the Canadian Rockies are so stunning that it will make up for whatever lack of an "ideal" luxury experience you have. It's one of the most scenic areas you'll ever explore (in the world), and agree that Jasper cannot be missed!

One property that I don't think was discussed on this thread is Pyramid Lake Resort. It seems like the direction you are going is something smaller, without the price tag of the Fairmont's that might not be worth it. Pyramid Lake Resort is a newly renovated, waterfront chalet style resort with only 62 guest rooms. It's actually just north of Jasper Park Lodge, on (you guessed it!) Pyramid Lake. It's about a 10 minute drive to the town of Jasper. During the summer, you're looking at rates starting at $300 CAD. So, even though it might not be the caliber of hotel that Jasper Park Lodge is, you aren't whacked with the price point that may not be worth it.

Unfortunately I do not have personal experience here, but I thought I would throw it up for consideration as it popped up on my radar and seemed to fit the direction you want to go. Anyone else stay themselves or have clients at this property?

Another thing to consider is, once you check out Alberta, maybe your next trip back to Canada can be British Columbia. Then, you'll be able to stay at some of the amazing wilderness resorts like Clayoquot, Chilko, or Wickaninnish to name a few. Just something to keep on your long term radar...

Smiley90 Aug 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jbb (Post 32588055)
I'm originally from Alberta so have visited Banff and Jasper many times. What others say about the Fairmonts (Lake Louise, Jasper Park Lodge and Banff Springs) and Rimrock are similar to my own experience. They are not full luxury hotels, IMO, with mediocre service and lacklustre rooms. That said, along with the Post Hotel in Lake Louise (a relais et chateaux property), they're pretty much your only options for higher end hotel experiences and there are certain room categories that can be quite nice.

In Banff, my personal preference is the RimRock. The views from the Rimrock are truly spectacular and superior to the Banff Springs because it is built higher up. Also, the Signature Grandview rooms (Room #s 700, 701, 702 and 800 - around $700-$1000/night in high season) and Grandview Suites are genuinely good quality for a luxury property. We usually stay at one of the RimRock's Signature Grandviews and they range from 500-700 sq ft, each come with a gas fireplace, exceptionally comfortable king-size bed, sitting area, separate large soaking tub/shower, high quality furnishings and most importantly, world-class views of the township valley and surrounding mountains. These offer the best views in Banff and IMO are the highest quality room in the area as well. Some of the signature grand views come with bathtubs with windows and panoramic views and others with large terraces with bucket-list quality views.

For Jasper, while I have my problems with the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (too many lacklustre service experiences in the past), I still think it can be a nice place to visit in the summer. The Lakefront Suite with wood-burning fireplace are tranquil, decently sized and good quality.

The prime tourist spots in the Alberta rockies are all within National Parks. While this is great for conservation, it also means development is restricted such that there's always a mismatch with greater demand than supply. This enables the hotels to get away with less than stellar service and the result is that there is no true luxury hotel in the area. I believe the Fairmonts and Rimrock are all rated 4 diamonds by AAA ,not 5. Still, it's well worth a visit. The mountains are stunning, there are some decent restaurants and the aforementioned hotels do have select room categories that are quite nice.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to add about the Rimrock is that its amenities/facilities are worse than the Banff Springs. I'm not sure it would matter during coronavirus though as I expect the Banff Springs' spa will be closed. Rimrock has a very uninspired spa and an indoor pool that could be out of any 4-star hotel. The Banff Springs' large spa, on the other hand, is fairly impressive.

EDIT 2: One other thing to add is that the RimRock's Signature Grandviews do not come with any dedicated lounge access or special concierge service like Fairmont Gold does at the Banff Springs. Something worth noting if that is important to you.

This thread and this post are very timely! I'm doing a road trip through the rockies the next 2 weeks (short notice, I know), but with very few tourists around it should be great :) Keep the suggestions coming everyone! Definitely not looking for amenities, more views & location for hikes/nature walks/the sorts

Originally Posted by journeybound (Post 32635429)
I agree with the sentiment of most of this thread, that the Canadian Rockies are so stunning that it will make up for whatever lack of an "ideal" luxury experience you have. It's one of the most scenic areas you'll ever explore (in the world), and agree that Jasper cannot be missed!

One property that I don't think was discussed on this thread is Pyramid Lake Resort. It seems like the direction you are going is something smaller, without the price tag of the Fairmont's that might not be worth it. Pyramid Lake Resort is a newly renovated, waterfront chalet style resort with only 62 guest rooms. It's actually just north of Jasper Park Lodge, on (you guessed it!) Pyramid Lake. It's about a 10 minute drive to the town of Jasper. During the summer, you're looking at rates starting at $300 CAD. So, even though it might not be the caliber of hotel that Jasper Park Lodge is, you aren't whacked with the price point that may not be worth it.

Unfortunately I do not have personal experience here, but I thought I would throw it up for consideration as it popped up on my radar and seemed to fit the direction you want to go. Anyone else stay themselves or have clients at this property?

Another thing to consider is, once you check out Alberta, maybe your next trip back to Canada can be British Columbia. Then, you'll be able to stay at some of the amazing wilderness resorts like Clayoquot, Chilko, or Wickaninnish to name a few. Just something to keep on your long term radar...

This looks cute, but the distance from Jasper i guess is both a blessing and a course.

journeybound Aug 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 32637182)
This thread and this post are very timely! I'm doing a road trip through the rockies the next 2 weeks (short notice, I know), but with very few tourists around it should be great :) Keep the suggestions coming everyone! Definitely not looking for amenities, more views & location for hikes/nature walks/the sorts

This looks cute, but the distance from Jasper i guess is both a blessing and a course.

I'm curious what makes it a blessing and a curse? I think it comes down to your personal preference in whether you want to be in town or on a lake surrounded by the scenery. Jasper Park Lodge and Pyramid Lake Resort are both about a 10 minute drive from town.

Smiley90 Aug 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by journeybound (Post 32638983)
I'm curious what makes it a blessing and a curse? I think it comes down to your personal preference in whether you want to be in town or on a lake surrounded by the scenery. Jasper Park Lodge and Pyramid Lake Resort are both about a 10 minute drive from town.

Depending on what people are looking for, of course! I also realized that Pyramid Lake and Glacier View Lodge (mentioned previously in this thread) are actually owned by the same company/hosted by the same site: https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/

journeybound Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 32639015)
Depending on what people are looking for, of course! I also realized that Pyramid Lake and Glacier View Lodge (mentioned previously in this thread) are actually owned by the same company/hosted by the same site: https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/

I think we are on the same page then! Everyone has their own needs, tastes, and preferences :-)

And good catch on that, thank you for pointing that out!

Smiley90 Aug 29, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by journeybound (Post 32639185)
I think we are on the same page then! Everyone has their own needs, tastes, and preferences :-)

And good catch on that, thank you for pointing that out!

Definitely! Well I have 2 nights at Emerald Lake, 3 nights at Pyramid Lake, 1 night at Glacier View and then 2 nights at Rimrock booked, so I can let you know Pyramid Lake is in about... 2 weeks. :) More paying for location than luxury/amenities, but it is what it is :)

journeybound Aug 30, 2020 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 32639263)
Definitely! Well I have 2 nights at Emerald Lake, 3 nights at Pyramid Lake, 1 night at Glacier View and then 2 nights at Rimrock booked, so I can let you know Pyramid Lake is in about... 2 weeks. :) More paying for location than luxury/amenities, but it is what it is :)

I would love to hear about all of them once you get back! I'm jealous, I haven't been to Alberta in a couple of years. Truly some of the most spectacular scenery in the world :-) ENJOY!!

ridefar Aug 31, 2020 10:43 am

Seems like this thread is a good place to put it, so here is a very short review of the Prince of Wales in Waterton.

Pros:
  • The view. Pretty spectacular by any standard.
  • At night it is very quiet.
  • The staff are sincere and helpful. Not polished as a rule, but very helpful.
  • Location: very central, 5-10 walk into Waterton town. I will say that it is a very small town and there is precious little to do here unless you are active (there is a small golf course, but otherwise it is hiking, fishing, horseback riding, etc.) If you are not an active person you would probably get bored pretty quickly here.
Cons:
  • Food is pretty mediocre. At best. Service is the restaurant is good but the food doesn't really live up to the service.
  • Drink is pretty mediocre too. The bar has a great view and the good news ends there.
  • The lobby was surprisingly busy as they made no effort to reserve it for guests of the hotel or dining/drinking patrons. They also don't mandate masks indoors in the lobby. This was a big miss in my opinion.
  • Hard product. To say that it was dated would be a giant understatement. Built in 1927. Not really updated since (except to keep it maintained). It is relatively well maintained but still pretty badly dated.
  • No real amenities except restaurant and bar. No spa.
I would say get a suite if you plan to be here for more than a day. It made the whole experience a lot better. Unfortunately there are only 2 suites in the hotel, so book early as there isn't much availability.

It isn't luxury. It is OK. You are paying for the view first, second, and third. The room fourth. But overall it is fine experience in a truly beautiful area of the province.