Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mini Trip Report: Lake Placid Lodge (Covid 19 Edition)

Old Jul 18, 20, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Lake Placid Lodge

Map| 3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

Lake Placid Lodge

144 Lodge Way Lake Placid, NY US 12946

Mini Trip Report: Lake Placid Lodge (Covid 19 Edition) (0 Photo)

Lake Placid Lodge

When our London/Ireland trip got cancelled due to the Coronavirus, we knew we still wanted to go somewhere, but we weren’t comfortable with flying. We looked into drive-able options that we have visited in the past, like The Point and Twin Farms. But neither of them were accepting children this summer. Lake Placid Lodge seemed like a good option since it had private cabins and we could isolate ourselves as much as we wanted.

We’d been to the Lake Placid Lodge a handful of times before and are happy to report the service seemed better now than a few years ago. Gone are the young people with good intentions but poor follow up. The staff now are more seasoned and they were able to accomodate all of the requests we made; both prior to and during our stay. Maybe this is a positive effect of the Coronavirus…keeping only those staff members who are year-round employees, and not seasonal help.

We booked a lakefront cabin called Colden. One can’t get any closer to the water. We enjoyed watching the beavers, loons and baby ducks swim by early each morning. The cabins remain every bit as atmospheric as the property itself with their twiggy furniture, large wood-burning fireplaces, and dramatic freestanding tubs. The spectacular views haven’t changed either; without another building in sight, just the lake and the mountains.

We ate local takeout, room service, and on the outdoor deck of the Lodge’s restaurant Artisan’s. Staff and guests alike were wearing face coverings when in proximity to one another, especially when indoors.

For activities, we booked a private lake tour on the lodge’s Hacker Craft. We also managed to get out into Adirondack Park for the first time for a private guided fishing expedition as well as a private hike with a naturalist.

All in all it was a great, low risk trip. And we were so, so glad to get out of the house! 

PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED A FEW POSTS DOWN.

Would you like to write a review on the Lake Placid Lodge?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 18, 20, 6:04 pm

Great review, thanks! We're headed to The Point in September and were thinking about staying here for a couple of nights as well. Glad to hear that things have improved there.
Old Jul 19, 20, 3:27 am
Original Poster

FYI, as I’m going through pictures, I’m noticing some wear and tear on the cabin. Specifically chipped paint on the outside and some chipped stain on the floor as you enter the cabin. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:07 pm

You have my wheels turning.....if our son’s school goes all on line, we want to do a fall trip. Did you fly or drive?
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:26 am
Original Poster

We live in New England so we drove.
Coming from the east, you have the option to take the car ferry across Lake Champlain which is fun for the kids but can add about an hour to the trip.
Old Jul 31, 20, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Here are some photos.

Colden Log Cabin Interior

Colden Log Cabin Interior

Sunrise View from Colden Log Cabin

Open Air Dining (photo courtesy of resort)

Dinner

Bald Eagle

Hacker Craft

Eastern Newt

Adirondacks
SanDiego1K and obscure2k like this.
Old Jul 31, 20, 5:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Rustic
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Absolutely gorgeous Lake views.
Old Oct 25, 20, 7:39 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Thank you for the review Ericka! Glad to hear things have improved with service since you were last there and since the last poor reviews on the property in this forum. I am looking into LPL for two clients of mine in early December. Can anyone help me understand why all but one room types available would be the exact same rate? The following room types are available, all listed at the exact same rate:

Lodge King (in the Main Lodge)
Lakeside 1BR Suite (in the Lakeside Building)
Lakeview Cabin

There are Lakefront Cabins available too, listed at a slightly higher rate. I guess I would have expected the Lakeview Cabins to be a higher rate than the rooms in the Main Lodge and Lakeside Building. Maybe I'm missing something?

And it seems like most people in this forum stay in the private cabins. Are those the best accommodations on property?
Old Oct 26, 20, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I can’t speak to the pricing.

FYI, the lakeview cabins are further back from the water and have slightly obstructed views. They have a separate living room and bedroom area.

The lakefront cabins are right on the water with spectacular views. They have a one room layout and wonderful fireplaces.

The lakeside suites have gorgeous decks with great views. They have a separate living room and bedroom. But the one we were in a few years ago had a malfunctioning fireplace that smoked up the whole room. I’ve read similar reviews on tripadvisor. I would not recommend this room for a December stay.
Old Oct 26, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
That's great to know about the malfunctioning fireplaces in the Lakeside Suites. That is NOT ideal for a December stay! For their dates, they have lakeview and lakefront cabins available, so I'll recommend the lakefront for sure. Thank you!
Old Oct 27, 20, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by journeybound View Post
That's great to know about the malfunctioning fireplaces in the Lakeside Suites. That is NOT ideal for a December stay! For their dates, they have lakeview and lakefront cabins available, so I'll recommend the lakefront for sure. Thank you!
Just to add on, I stayed at Lake Placid Lodge for 3 nights in September in a Lakeside Suite, as it was the only room available. Fortunately, our fireplace worked fine and we lit it every night. I would not recommend the suites in the winter, though, as a big draw is to sit on the patio/deck and enjoy the view, have a meal, etc., which would not be possible in the winter. I would definitely go for one of the cabins, lakefront if possible and if not, then lake view. And the convenience of the Main Lodge would be nice as well if walking outside in the cold doesn't appeal.
Old Nov 3, 20, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by NotALawyer View Post
Just to add on, I stayed at Lake Placid Lodge for 3 nights in September in a Lakeside Suite, as it was the only room available. Fortunately, our fireplace worked fine and we lit it every night. I would not recommend the suites in the winter, though, as a big draw is to sit on the patio/deck and enjoy the view, have a meal, etc., which would not be possible in the winter. I would definitely go for one of the cabins, lakefront if possible and if not, then lake view. And the convenience of the Main Lodge would be nice as well if walking outside in the cold doesn't appeal.
Thank you for sharing the recent insight and glad you had no issues with the room. I ended up booking my clients in a lakefront cabin for their December 3-night stay, which seems to align with your recommendations.

How did you find the service during your stay? And have you stayed at the Lodge before (therefore having a previous experience to compare to)?
Old Nov 4, 20, 9:19 am

Service is always a tough thing to evaluate here. I have stayed, and I agree with Ericka up above that some of the service, overall, has improved. The bell/valet staff and the staff at the dock in particular were great and very attentive. However, the housekeeping was truly bad. Perhaps it was because of less staff due to the pandemic or because the hotel was full, or both, but I was disappointed in that aspect. There were mouse droppings all over the room that were never cleaned. After I cleared them off, they returned during the night but were again never wiped off by the cleaning staff. We're talking on the nightstands by the bed and on the table where they leave the welcome amenities, not hidden in corners. When they brought us a mousetrap, I disposed of the result on my own after it sat there, in the open. There was no follow-up or mention of it, even when the front desk called our room the next day to see if the groundskeeper who actually brought us the trap left his glasses in our room. There was also a plastic lid from a prior guest on our patio that was only removed after our second night there. The response to all of this on checkout was just an "oh." We are not complainers and I live in a wooded area with frequent house guests like this, so I was not expecting or even wanting anything at all to make up for it. But I thought it could have been better handled. And my response to the post stay survey and email to the manager with more info have, to date, received no response.

I love the look of the resort and the location, and will probably go back at some point. But I went to the Point after this and was thankful it wasn't in the opposite order. Night and day difference.
Old Nov 4, 20, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by NotALawyer View Post
Service is always a tough thing to evaluate here. I have stayed, and I agree with Ericka up above that some of the service, overall, has improved. The bell/valet staff and the staff at the dock in particular were great and very attentive. However, the housekeeping was truly bad. Perhaps it was because of less staff due to the pandemic or because the hotel was full, or both, but I was disappointed in that aspect. There were mouse droppings all over the room that were never cleaned. After I cleared them off, they returned during the night but were again never wiped off by the cleaning staff. We're talking on the nightstands by the bed and on the table where they leave the welcome amenities, not hidden in corners. When they brought us a mousetrap, I disposed of the result on my own after it sat there, in the open. There was no follow-up or mention of it, even when the front desk called our room the next day to see if the groundskeeper who actually brought us the trap left his glasses in our room. There was also a plastic lid from a prior guest on our patio that was only removed after our second night there. The response to all of this on checkout was just an "oh." We are not complainers and I live in a wooded area with frequent house guests like this, so I was not expecting or even wanting anything at all to make up for it. But I thought it could have been better handled. And my response to the post stay survey and email to the manager with more info have, to date, received no response.

I love the look of the resort and the location, and will probably go back at some point. But I went to the Point after this and was thankful it wasn't in the opposite order. Night and day difference.
Well, you certainly handled the situation with your "house guests" in a much more civil manner than most people would have. I agree with you, that the way it was handled (or NOT handled) is unacceptable. The fact that your stay was two months ago and you took the time to provide honest feedback so they can improve on their services, and you still haven't heard anything, is sad.

Any chance you worked with a travel advisor to book this trip? They might be able to get your feedback to the right person or bring enough attention to it so action is actually taken. While I would expect the GM to read an email like this from you after two months, there might be a better person to hear you out and make something happen. When my clients return from trips, even local getaways, I always like to get on the phone and see how it went. If there's any feedback that the property needs to hear in order to improve, I get that to the right person. They are generally very appreciative that we took the time to provide them the feedback, and they make sure actions are taken. It seems to be more effective than the surveys.

My wife and I are heading to The Point in early December! We are super excited and glad to hear you thought the experience was night and day compared to the Lodge. I do wish the gap between the two properties in terms of service and experience was smaller, but glad to hear your September stay at The Point knocked it out of the park. Which room did you stay in? We'll be staying in Lookout.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: