Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mini Trip Report: Lake Placid Lodge (Covid 19 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Trip Report: Lake Placid Lodge (Covid 19 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by journeybound
Well, you certainly handled the situation with your "house guests" in a much more civil manner than most people would have. I agree with you, that the way it was handled (or NOT handled) is unacceptable. The fact that your stay was two months ago and you took the time to provide honest feedback so they can improve on their services, and you still haven't heard anything, is sad.

Any chance you worked with a travel advisor to book this trip? They might be able to get your feedback to the right person or bring enough attention to it so action is actually taken. While I would expect the GM to read an email like this from you after two months, there might be a better person to hear you out and make something happen. When my clients return from trips, even local getaways, I always like to get on the phone and see how it went. If there's any feedback that the property needs to hear in order to improve, I get that to the right person. They are generally very appreciative that we took the time to provide them the feedback, and they make sure actions are taken. It seems to be more effective than the surveys.

My wife and I are heading to The Point in early December! We are super excited and glad to hear you thought the experience was night and day compared to the Lodge. I do wish the gap between the two properties in terms of service and experience was smaller, but glad to hear your September stay at The Point knocked it out of the park. Which room did you stay in? We'll be staying in Lookout.
I do occasionally work with a TA, but he was traveling when I needed to book this and I didn't want to bother over a quick stay, so I booked directly. I appreciate the info though. I'm certain other guests might have been more upset over it, lol, but we are generally easy going and I overlook a lot of things. I was not even looking for anything, even a complimentary drink, but it is unfortunate there was no response to my email. Oh well, I'll just hold off on returning for quite a while, if at all. Shame since I live within easy driving distance. I did love the Point. We stayed in Saranac but Lookout would also be great. I don't think there's a bad room, just different sizes. And we're already looking to go back over Christmas week and again in the summer. I'm interested to hear your thoughts!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:27 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Yikes! The mouse droppings talk has given me the heebie-jeebies. I’m glad we haven’t encountered anything like that during our last stays. Or maybe we were just blissfully unaware.

To be sure, The Point is the better overall experience. But sometimes LPL makes more sense. In our case, The Point no longer allows kids.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Yikes! The mouse droppings talk has given me the heebie-jeebies. I’m glad we haven’t encountered anything like that during our last stays. Or maybe we were just blissfully unaware.

To be sure, The Point is the better overall experience. But sometimes LPL makes more sense. In our case, The Point no longer allows kids.
Agreed. There are pros to both places. LPL has the setting, the proximity to town and activities, the look of the cabins. I love it all, and am not ready to write it off. And the price is usually more favorable. But at least for now, I'll probably stick to the Point for the next few stays.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Originally Posted by NotALawyer
I do occasionally work with a TA, but he was traveling when I needed to book this and I didn't want to bother over a quick stay, so I booked directly. I appreciate the info though. I'm certain other guests might have been more upset over it, lol, but we are generally easy going and I overlook a lot of things. I was not even looking for anything, even a complimentary drink, but it is unfortunate there was no response to my email. Oh well, I'll just hold off on returning for quite a while, if at all. Shame since I live within easy driving distance. I did love the Point. We stayed in Saranac but Lookout would also be great. I don't think there's a bad room, just different sizes. And we're already looking to go back over Christmas week and again in the summer. I'm interested to hear your thoughts!
Haha yes, I am 100% sure other guests would have been more upset over your friendly house guests :-) That makes sense, although did you miss out on the Virtuoso amenities at LPL because you booked direct?

Agree, there's not a bad room at The Point, especially after the recent renovation of all of the rooms. I would at some point love to stay in the Boathouse though! That's probably the one room that sets itself apart from the rest. Christmas will be a great time to be there, as they'll be all decked out for the holidays (they set these up during their post-fall break before they reopen for Thanksgiving). It'll be super cozy! Last I talked to them earlier this week, they have availability the week leading up to Christmas and after, even through New Years. But they are sold out the nights of the 25th and 26th pending any cancellations (which is always possible!).

I'll certainly let you know how our stay is (arriving on December 11th), but if you're serious about the week of Christmas, I would book that sooner rather than later.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Originally Posted by Ericka

​​​​​Right, they are 18+ and that's primarily driven by the fact they normally (during non-COVID times) have 4 bars that are unstaffed and readily available to all guests. That being said, if you get your friends and family together and buy out the property, you can set your own age restriction :-) With only 11 accommodations, a full buyout is not too far fetched if you know the right people who have the budget!!

Originally Posted by NotALawyer
Agreed. There are pros to both places. LPL has the setting, the proximity to town and activities, the look of the cabins. I love it all, and am not ready to write it off. And the price is usually more favorable. But at least for now, I'll probably stick to the Point for the next few stays.
For sure. Pricing is usually more favorable at LPL but you have to consider the value and experience you're getting at The Point at the higher price point. Not just way better service and an elevated overall experience, but it's all inclusive to the point where you can literally leave your wallet at home unless you're getting specialized services or doing private guided experiences. You don't even have to worry about gratuity!

NotALawyer and Ericka, you guys already know this from experience, but those who haven't been to either property should know this as well. Plus, they always welcome guests to the property early for lunch on their day of arrival and encourage them to stay for lunch on their day of departure. If there were a way to quantify value based on the two different experiences, I think in most cases the experience to cost ratio you're getting at each property is far in favor of The Point. Would you agree?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Journeybound, That’s all very well and good, even acknowledged. Yet we are speaking of ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE in cost so the devision boils down to how much one is willing to pay how often.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Journeybound, That’s all very well and good, even acknowledged. Yet we are speaking of ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE in cost so the devision boils down to how much one is willing to pay how often.
Definitely, I totally understand that. I guess my point was, we are not comparing apples to apples when we talk about the experience you'll have at each property. So that should be considered. And if people have the means to pay either price point, and it makes sense to do The Point (i.e. not traveling with young children), they should probably do The Point. But if the means are not there to pay The Point prices, then LPL will be just fine for most people.

The pricing at The Point does not fluctuate year round and the "cheaper" rooms are $1750++ (Iroquois) and $1850++ (Algonquin). At LPL, the cheapest price you'll see throughout the year is likely around $700++ (unless there's a promotion going on), but during peak times you're not getting in below $1000++. So, depending on time of year, the entry level price points are not that far off.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:16 am
Original Member

OK but I doubt anyone here would equate the two venues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.