Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Stuck in room for a week or more. Best rooms in world??

Old Jul 14, 20, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

Topic for discussion:

You travel and get stuck, say for 7-14 days, for whatever reason, in your room. You cannot leave your room for ANY REASON. And you can't move more than 10 meters (30 ft) from your room if at a resort. Lounging on the balcony is OK, if the room has that option. Food is minibar and room service *only*. If you had an inkling this was going to happen, what rooms, at what hotels would be the best? Cost is not an issue, to a point.

Here is my list to start:

Rooms 103/105 at Amanpuri. I could deal with these restrictions ... and wouldn't flinch at the restriction.
Amanpulo -- I'd be ok, any room. I wouldn't like it, but could suffer thru it ... very much a 1st world problem.
Amangani -- Teton Room. I could live at this room under these conditions for a LONG TIME.
FlyerEC and instyleprincess like this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jul 21, 20 at 5:41 am
Old Jul 14, 20, 11:00 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Great topic!

Off the top of my head:

1) Wolwedans Mountain View Suite - Super private, 200 square meters with an expansive deck, and sweeping views of the amazing desert surroundings. It's incredible. Check it out here:

2) (tie) Mara Plains Camp (Family Suite) / Mombo Camp
Among the top safari lodges that we've stayed at, these two have the best views of a variety of wildlife from the room. Elephants, Hyenas, and even Lions at times. I can sit outside on the deck all day. Mombo has newer and fresher rooms, and I prefer its decor, but Mara Plains has a family suite that has all kinds of space, and has slightly better wildlife sightings right from the room. Zarafa Camp, with its 2BR Dhow Suite, would also be an option here. Choices, choices.

3) Amanpulo - one of the Villas, please.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Jul 15, 20 at 12:07 am
Old Jul 14, 20, 11:14 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Blue; BW Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Hilton Waikoloa Village luxury suites overlooking the lagoon or ocean. You get an ocean horizon view for relaxing sunsets, multiple lanais, and views of the guest activity to stimulate the brain.
Fairmont Hotel Lake Louise, overlooking the lake. I could gaze at that view all day long, but generally no outside space. Guess I need to spring for the upper suites, Canadian quarantine hospitality!
Old Jul 15, 20, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Mandarin Oriental HK - their bed can probably shave away more than half of the time
Old Jul 15, 20, 1:42 am

I would choose a place in the Maldives….

Raffles Royal Residence
Cheval Blanc Randheli - Garden Water Villa

but my favorite would be at the St. Regis the John Jacob Astor Estate
Old Jul 15, 20, 2:25 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Any signature villa at at Aman.

If villa is not an option and I have to take a "standard room", my favourites are (preferably one with a pool plus view):
Amanzoe
BIG GAP
Amanruya
GAP
Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
GAP
Four Seasons Koh Samui
GAP
Four Seasons Seychelles
Old Jul 15, 20, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Frankly any Ocean View villa at Amanpuri would do for me.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 15, 20, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT View Post
Great topic!

Off the top of my head:

1) Wolwedans Mountain View Suite - Super private, 200 square meters with an expansive deck, and sweeping views of the amazing desert surroundings. It's incredible. Check it out here:

2) (tie) Mara Plains Camp (Family Suite) / Mombo Camp
Among the top safari lodges that we've stayed at, these two have the best views of a variety of wildlife from the room. Elephants, Hyenas, and even Lions at times. I can sit outside on the deck all day. Mombo has newer and fresher rooms, and I prefer its decor, but Mara Plains has a family suite that has all kinds of space, and has slightly better wildlife sightings right from the room. Zarafa Camp, with its 2BR Dhow Suite, would also be an option here. Choices, choices.

3) Amanpulo - one of the Villas, please.
I think KI-NRT has it just about right. You need a nice room, to be sure, but more than that you need a fabulous view and a view that actually changes. So some sort of wildlife lodge would be ideal. The animals come and go, even if you don't, and the light is always different. I'd probably opt for something in Africa. A second choice would be somewhere in Polynesia where the scenery and the light is magical. Or a cruise ship, maybe a big suite on a Seabourn ship and watch the world come to you, every day.
Old Jul 15, 20, 3:56 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Many Amans would work for this with their lovely outdoor spaces. My favorite is the Dalem Jiwo Suite at Amanjiwo. An elevated rotunda for dining and lounging, a giant pool, rice paddie and volcano views. Listening to the morning prayer. But wait....can we still have butler service? Or are we socially distanced frm them? LOL.

Also just about any luxury tent in Africa that sits in front of a watering hole. Perhaps an overwater casita in the Maldives for a little snorkeling?
EuropeanPete and ridefar like this.
Old Jul 15, 20, 4:22 am

Most MLE properties would do, esepcially the nice ones (Soneva, Velaa, Cheval Blanc).

Many of the Aman properties too.

But if you ask me: Thanda private island, Laucala, Frégate, &Beyond Mozambique ... would all fit me
Old Jul 15, 20, 7:22 am
was bluegatorade

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Ritz Carlton Stars TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Does the ocean count as a part of the room if it's an overwater bungalow?
Cities: anything at the Rosewood with a view of HK skyline for me. Or Regent Pudong (formerly FS) with view of the skyline.
Nature: any pool suite at Amankila or Amanjiwo.
Old Jul 15, 20, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Frankly any Ocean View villa at Amanpuri would do for me.

oh yes me too
Old Jul 15, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Agree with the Amangani room....I'll never get tired of the Teton view.

Ocean view - I'd like to stay at FS Seychelles
Old Jul 15, 20, 10:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I suggest a Lagoon Villa at Cheval Blanc Randheli in the Maldives — 2580 square feet of living space, 40' long private infinity pool, and slip off your deck into the ocean, all within 30' of your room.
Old Jul 15, 20, 11:44 am

I have a Grand Teton view from my current residence, which is hard to beat. But I've been longing for an ocean view the past few months. For that I would take a top floor deluxe ocean view room at the Mauna Kea or room 37 at Amankila. I could hang out in either one of those for a long time and not go stir crazy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: