Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Stuck in room for a week or more. Best rooms in world??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck in room for a week or more. Best rooms in world??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by jja34-1
I have a Grand Teton view from my current residence, which is hard to beat.
Shane! Come back!!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Terra Minoika Hotel in Kato Zakros Crete
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Laucala
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A place with a private heated pool on my private deck.

Someplace with a fascinating view, ideally with constantly changing stuff to watch. The RC Hong Kong would be good for this, or possibly a water view suite in the Peninsula Hong Kong, but these buildings don't have balconies. Hotel d'Europe in Amsterdam is good for watching traffic on the canals and rooms do have balconies. Other cities with lots of water traffic would be Istanbul (Ciragon Palace facing the Bosporus, but I've never had a balcony there), Sydney (IC is good for views--only--and the former Orient Express (now Belmond?) hotel in the Rocks has good views of the container port), Rio (it's not luxury but the GH in Barra has corner suites with wraparound balconies and IIRC there are a couple small private pools too).

I'd have mixed feelings about being in a city with lots to do outside of the hotel at my doorstep.

I'm surprised no one is focusing on having a wide variety of good F&B available through room service, including some simple comfort food. In many (luxury) hotels, I'd be terribly bored with room service after a week, although a great hotel should be willing and able to provide food that isn't on the menu, if that's allowed by the OP's rules.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Bored. At home, ocean front in La Jolla (assume this is bad, which it isn't). Can't travel. Vegas at Bellagio over 4th of July was a disaster because I wasn't throwing around wads of thousands everywhere I walked.

Topic for discussion:

You travel and get stuck, say for 7-14 days, for whatever reason, in your room. You cannot leave your room for ANY REASON. And you can't move more than 10 meters (30 ft) from your room if at a resort. Lounging on the balcony is OK, if the room has that option. Food is minibar and room service *only*. If you had an inkling this was going to happen, what rooms, at what hotels would be the best? Cost is not an issue, to a point.

Here is my list to start:

Rooms 103/105 at Amanpuri. I could deal with these restrictions ... and wouldn't flinch at the restriction.
Amanpulo -- I'd be ok, any room. I wouldn't like it, but could suffer thru it ... very much a 1st world problem.
Amangani -- Teton Room. I could live at this room under these conditions for a LONG TIME.
OP, I wish you would have started this thread at "Topic for Discussion". Anything prior is contradicting (Home is La Jolla oceanfront. Don't travel, yet reference Vegas trip, and i certainly dont care about what financial level you can afford to gamble given the world's current state of affairs - maybe donate to a charity) and lessens my interest in reading further, although I did , ust to make sure i wasn't off the mark before posting. Excluding that, your post is a valid point of discussion! Thanks for bringing forward....i did learn something
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:55 pm
Suspended

No more than 30 feet? No thanks. I’ll stay home.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Musken
Any signature villa at at Aman.

If villa is not an option and I have to take a "standard room", my favourites are (preferably one with a pool plus view):
Amanzoe
BIG GAP
Amanruya
GAP
Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
GAP
Four Seasons Koh Samui
GAP
Four Seasons Seychelles
Originally Posted by Ericka
Many Amans would work for this with their lovely outdoor spaces. My favorite is the Dalem Jiwo Suite at Amanjiwo. An elevated rotunda for dining and lounging, a giant pool, rice paddie and volcano views. Listening to the morning prayer. But wait....can we still have butler service? Or are we socially distanced frm them? LOL.

Also just about any luxury tent in Africa that sits in front of a watering hole. Perhaps an overwater casita in the Maldives for a little snorkeling?
Originally Posted by esaprop
oh yes me too
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Mandarin Oriental HK - their bed can probably shave away more than half of the time
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Frankly any Ocean View villa at Amanpuri would do for me.
Any of AMANs with a balcony , pavilion , terrace with outdoor area large or small would suffice , pool preferred . Of course , with their villas , there is ample space to roam . The teams at the various AMANs we “ frequent “ know our preferred rooms / suites .. we were to return to Zoe in April and check out another ocean pool suite . Next year , hopefully , as not happening this year from looks of it now ?
Much as we like Tokyo , they do not have outside areas , so doubt it will work for us . On the other hand , Kyoto and Nemu will be fine .

MOBKK & MOHK suites with balconies are potentially an option .

Huka Lodge and Saffire are possibilities too .

These hotel teams can be relied on to take care of us if something untoward were to happen , speaking from past experiences !!
All will be able to whip up off menu meals too , homey at AMANs & otherwise elsewhere ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 17, 2020 at 4:38 am
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Amanjiwo has already been mentioned, so for something a little different I’d consider the Rama Suite at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

Sure, not much of a view and the room isn’t so luxurious, but you have a garden and a private jacuzzi and more to the point you get the SGS’s 24 room service menu which is far and away the best I’ve tried at any hotel - especially if you are eating every meal every day from it. If you need a break, you’d have access to their Concierge team who are again not Aman-Butler level, but nonetheless people you can absolutely trust to get it done.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised no one is focusing on having a wide variety of good F&B available through room service, including some simple comfort food. In many (luxury) hotels, I'd be terribly bored with room service after a week, although a great hotel should be willing and able to provide food that isn't on the menu, if that's allowed by the OP's rules.
I had mostly Amans on my lists, one of the main reasons being that they cook whatever you request not on the menu. As an example, I can remember a big Mexican feast meal which our son requested at Amankila and also Amanoi (his favourite food after sushi). Also we have often requested simle pasta dishes or special sandwiches (croque madam, tuna melt etc) or a pizza which has been no problem at all. However, food might be the first reason that I would get tired of staying in a hotel room all the time. I am often very much craving just normal plain food at home after less than 2 weeks holidays, especially if there is too much fine dining involved. It is great now and then but not all the time.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Great thread

In terms of room that I've stayed in before, gotta say Saffire Freycinet Private Pavillion.

For aspirational, hmmmm, probably the Princess Grace Suite at the Hotel de Paris in Monaco.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Lots of lodges in Africa fit the bill, but Earth Lodge would be nice. Or Kings Pool. Both have the type of view, and wildlife wandering through it, that doesn't grow old. And great light.

Awasi Patagonia?

Lots of places in Maldives also wouldn't exactly be awful under OP's T&Cs.

The Brando? Can you swim from the beach in this scenario? That would make or break the proposition for me at most beach properties. Not being able to swim would make even places in the Maldives hard to bear for 14 days.

And just to add to the comment about food above: a good hotel should be willing to bring you a piece of cardio equipment or some such in these circumstances. That would make things a lot easier.

Last comment, if cruising or charters is allowed, no question, hands down at this point in my life: 2 weeks on a private boat in Raja Ampat.

Last edited by ridefar; Jul 17, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:28 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Rosewood Hong Kong - Harbour House (if you've seen it, you know it!)
InterContinental Hong Kong - the Presidential Suite - sadly no more...interesting to see what the Regent does with this?
Cheval Blanc Randheli: any villa.
Amanoi: Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa #1 (Did a full feature on it: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/aman...-of-the-month/)
Amankila: Kilasari Suite - still my favourite room in the whole world but I'll settle for Infinity Pool Suite #25 if someone else has taken the Kilasari Suite and that's the only room Ernst can put me in

Amanpulo - if we are saying "it wouldn't be so bad to be stuck here cos the resort itself is amazing and beach access" then yes - but the 10m/30ft rule doesn't work then. As much as I love the destination (and the resort), I wouldn't choose the rooms, specifically to stay in.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:52 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I really miss Paris and being banned from leaving Australia is really torturing me. First hotel and room that came to mind was the Belle Etoile Suite at Le Meurice.

If I had to choose a resort, I think Four Seasons Private Island in the Maldives would do. Singita Serengeti House could be fun.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Any suite with a balcony at MO Bangkok or the recently opened Pool Houses at Rosewood Bangkok. Could live off all the different Thai dishes, Grab delivery and their culinary teams could make ANYTHING you want.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.