Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman 20% gift card purchase promo

Aman 20% gift card purchase promo

Old Jul 10, 20, 11:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Programs: the human race
Posts: 2,287
Aman 20% gift card purchase promo

From an exquisite sushi dinner at Aman Tokyo to a rejuvenating stay at Amanpuri in Thailand, Aman gift cards open up possibilities for extraordinary future experiences at Aman destinations. Valid for three years and redeemable at all Aman hotels (excluding China), every gift card purchased before 31st July 2020 will receive an additional 20% benefit.
note that:
Gift Cards purchased from 1 June 2020 are valid for 3 years from the date of issue and may not be redeemed beyond that period.
Dr_wanderlust is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 11:48 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 91,477
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust View Post
note that:
Thanks for posting about this here.

Chances that the entity issuing these Aman gift cards ends up insolvent within the next 2-3 years?

Gift cards are only worth it if you can trust that you can get value out of them when and where you wish to do so before the expiration date is reached.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 12:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,817
Mighty tempting. I think Id be a buyer at 25% but 20% has me on the fence.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 1:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 73
Are these combinable with Virtuoso bookings and various property promotions (eg seasons of discovery)?
Fc912 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 2:27 pm
  #5  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,791
Originally Posted by Fc912 View Post
Are these combinable with Virtuoso bookings and various property promotions (eg seasons of discovery)?
Yes ... you'd just use them to pay at check-out. You could possibly make a deposit with them as well, but that's more complicated.

I was fooled by the promo. The more we read about this, it's evident that Aman is not really selling "Gift Cards."
.
(1) Funds in these so-called "gift cards" expire in three years, which is illegal in California.

(2) Real gift cards are plastic versions of money on deposit in an account that you can use with the vendor in question.

(3) If you can't use Aman gift cards at all Aman properties, that's not a "gift card."
.
This is a 20% off promo by a different name.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.

Last edited by DavidO; Jul 14, 20 at 11:40 am
DavidO is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 3:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,817
As a heads up from the T&C - not sure if enforceable:

20% additional value offer
20% additional value on Gift Card purchases available until 31 July 2020.
The additional value can only be used for new reservations booked directly via Aman.com, Aman contact centres, or made directly with Aman hotels. The additional value cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion, negotiated benefit or agreement.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 4:03 pm
  #7  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,791
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
reservations booked directly via Aman.com, Aman contact centres, or made directly with Aman hotels.
FYI ... travel advisor bookings made are made either (1) through Sabre (which interfaces with Aman's own reservation system as does Aman.com), (2) by email with the resort, or (3) by phone with Aman central reservations.
Nizar likes this.
DavidO is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 6:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by Fc912 View Post
Are these combinable with Virtuoso bookings and various property promotions (eg seasons of discovery)?
I don't think you can.

The additional value cannot be used in conjuction with any other offer, promotion, negotiated benefit, or agreement.
zack14 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 9:49 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: DL Plat
Posts: 635
This seems like a cash grab for the Aman group, possibly in response to some dire financial circumstances. Does anyone have an idea (I understand that nobody really knows for sure) what would happen to the gift card value if Aman gets sold or goes into some sort of reorganization? There's some fine print in the T&C about redemption being up to the new leadership if this happens, but I'm not sure how this might play out in real life.

I'm thinking of getting a large-ish card to pay for part a trip that I've scheduled in late 2021. 20% is a significant savings to me, but I'd hate to lose the entire value if things go sideways. I've already confirmed that I can use the gift card on an existing reservation (not a "new" reservation) and in combination with a promotion that includes a complimentary driver/guide for >7 night stay (an existing promotion).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
chococat is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 10:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by chococat View Post
This seems like a cash grab for the Aman group, possibly in response to some dire financial circumstances. Does anyone have an idea (I understand that nobody really knows for sure) what would happen to the gift card value if Aman gets sold or goes into some sort of reorganization? There's some fine print in the T&C about redemption being up to the new leadership if this happens, but I'm not sure how this might play out in real life.

I'm thinking of getting a large-ish card to pay for part a trip that I've scheduled in late 2021. 20% is a significant savings to me, but I'd hate to lose the entire value if things go sideways. I've already confirmed that I can use the gift card on an existing reservation (not a "new" reservation) and in combination with a promotion that includes a complimentary driver/guide for >7 night stay (an existing promotion).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
I cannot speak with 100% certainty about the future, but only to my experiences in the US:
1) If Aman were to be sold, then the acquiror would have to honor this. If not, then you would have a legal claim against the legal owner and could sue them.
2) In bankruptcy (in the US), the Company would not have to honor it, though they likely would. If someone were to acquire Aman out of bankruptcy, they would likely honor these as well (though they do not have to). If they did not, then you would have an unsecured claim in the bankruptcy courts and be entitled to some % of your claim. FWIW, when the firm I worked at bought a company out of BK last year, we honored all of the Groupon certificates that had been sold prior to our bankruptcy even though legally we did not have to. Generally, the financial cost of honoring these is much less than the reputation risk the Company would take.
uclabruin82 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 2:33 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by chococat View Post
I've already confirmed that I can use the gift card on an existing reservation (not a "new" reservation)
where did you confirm this?
zack14 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 7:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: DL Plat
Posts: 635
Originally Posted by zack14 View Post
where did you confirm this?
I emailed the reservations manager at Amankora. I suppose its possible that this is a property specific decision.
zack14 likes this.
chococat is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 8:20 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 91,477
Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
I cannot speak with 100% certainty about the future, but only to my experiences in the US:
1) If Aman were to be sold, then the acquiror would have to honor this. If not, then you would have a legal claim against the legal owner and could sue them.
2) In bankruptcy (in the US), the Company would not have to honor it, though they likely would. If someone were to acquire Aman out of bankruptcy, they would likely honor these as well (though they do not have to). If they did not, then you would have an unsecured claim in the bankruptcy courts and be entitled to some % of your claim. FWIW, when the firm I worked at bought a company out of BK last year, we honored all of the Groupon certificates that had been sold prior to our bankruptcy even though legally we did not have to. Generally, the financial cost of honoring these is much less than the reputation risk the Company would take.
There is the complication even absent bankruptcy by the gift card issuer that specific properties may for their own reasons decide to refuse to accept gift cards as payment by the time it comes to want to use the gift card at a specific place.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 8:54 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,880
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
There is the complication even absent bankruptcy by the gift card issuer that specific properties may for their own reasons decide to refuse to accept gift cards as payment by the time it comes to want to use the gift card at a specific place.
Or be sold/withdrawn.
erik123 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 11:06 am
  #15  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 8,532
Same problem with every gift card. I will most likely buy some to pay my food etc at Amanpuri. I believe stay will be charged my credit card before and m not ready to do a big hussle at the moment.
FlyerEC likes this.
offerendum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: