Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mii Amo / Enchantment - July 4th Wknd

Old Jul 7, 20, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec

Hi all - wanted to drop a quick recap of my long weekend as another data point!

My friend and I ended up doing a mini Journey at the Mii Amo Spa in Sedona, AZ for July 4th weekend. For those not familiar, Mii Amo sits on the Enchantment Resort property in Boynton Canyon but has its own hotel space / pool /restaurant /etc.There are 16 Casitas on the Mii Amo part of the property whereas Enchantment has ~200 rooms I think (?). Mii Amo is also for guests 16+ so no children or families with small kids. Enchantment resort guests are allowed to use the pool with the booking of a spa treatment but Mii Amo ensures that the best lounge chairs are reserved at the pool for their guests. I spent some time speaking with the staff about their level of comfort in reopening / working, especially given AZ's hotspot status. Most mentioned they were a little nervous to start but all of the regulations around cleaning and employee health/safety that the management team was following gave them more peace of mind.

Travel
- We opted to drive from Los Angeles to Sedona and not risk the flights. It's a 7ish hour drive but we got stuck in some gnarly traffic on the way due to an overturned tractor trailer on I-17 in AZ. I felt safer about being in the car than two different airports, a rental car, etc. but definitely considered flying at some point. Some other guests we encountered came in from Texas, Florida, NY (i know, out of the frying pan and into the fire) and flew

Hotel Overview
- Hotel is/was operating at a little less than 50% capacity. For Mii Amo, only 6 out of the 16 casitas were occupied while we were there
- Everyone is required to wear a mask indoors and staff enforced pretty well. All staff wore masks outside as well
- Hand sanitizer stations around the property
- No room cleaning / turn down services during the stay
- All public areas (lounge chairs, outdoor dining, etc.) were immediately and thoroughly sanitized/scrubbed after guests used them
- Social distancing was adhered to both indoors and outdoors
- My friend and I decided to wipe down handles, light fixtures, etc. just to be on the safe side. TV remote was in a plastic bag based on previous sanitization
- Pool towels were individually bagged and put out when you went to your chair
- Gym was not open. Certain classes were still available but conducted outdoors (i.e. Yoga, other fitness) and capped on attendance

Spa / Activities
- Certain spa treatments and activities were limited and/or unavailable altogether
- Spa therapists all wore masks although it seemed to be a matter of debate whether you had to wear them in a treatment room or not (I received conflicting instructions from different spa therapists)
- Between my friend and I, we did a guided hike, road biking, played tennis, and did a few massages / body wraps. All felt very safe and I was happy to see the care in which the staff took to make sure everything was disinfected

We did not venture to the Enchantment resort at all (no desire to, except to play tennis).

All in all, the resort itself was very well run and it was an enjoyable experience. Rooms were a little outdated but the service was awesome and the environment was relaxing. I expect this might be the 'new normal' as time progresses but for those who are willing to take some risk in going on vacation and/or staying in a hotel, I think going to luxury properties would make one feel the most safe.
Old Jul 7, 20, 11:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did you get fresh towels dropped off at least?
Old Jul 8, 20, 12:24 am
Original Member

No room cleaning is a show stopper for me. I can live without turndown.
Old Jul 8, 20, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I agree with this 100%. At a luxury property, I at least need my room cleaned!
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 8, 20, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
Did you get fresh towels dropped off at least?
I think we could have if we requested but it wasn't a given.

To be fair, I didn't ask about whether we *could* have housekeeping come by (they may have mentioned it but i wasn't listening during check-in).
Old Jul 10, 20, 8:40 am

How do you eat/drink if you have to wear a mask? Frankly, i would rather stay at home, as the experience more resembles a hospital than a resort!
Old Jul 10, 20, 11:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I think it is one of the "Corona-rules" I can not explain with logic. While many Corona-rules sounds the real reason is cost cuts for me no room cleaning is so wired. Glad the hotels I stayed in so far provided 2 services per day as it should be. Turndown is often missed by me when I am in the room and I normally do not call for it.

I am still interested to try this resort but I doubt it will be next year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: