Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Checking into a 5-star Luxury Hotel right after lockdown? (Rosewood Mayakoba)

Old Jul 3, 20, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood

Rosewood Mayakoba

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

Rosewood Mayakoba

Carr Federal Chetumal Playa del Carmen, MX 77710

What is it like to check into a 5-star Luxury Hotel right after lockdown? (0 Photo)

Rosewood Mayakoba

I work in the travel industry and have recently gone out to try and see what the new normal looks like post lockdown at luxury properties.  Many people have been asking:

• Are hotels and resorts still relaxing to go to or will I spend the whole time sanitizing my hands, social distancing, and the like?

• Is it safe to travel?

• Have services been reduced?

• Do I have to wear a mask?

• Is anyone actually traveling, or will I be the only one staying at the property?

I decided to go and give this a try for myself.  To find out the answers to all these questions I headed off on a mini-break to the Rosewood Mayakoba in Mexico.  This is not a review on the property itself its more to review what the new normal is starting to look like in the luxury accommodation sector. 

While the procedures are different depending on your location and hotel/resort, my aim is to give everyone some indication of the new normal and general vibe out there.  I hope this helps, feel free to ask me questions.

b685b8_d2eb119aeae24035b77f6ca2589d6568~

Check-In

The one thing that was initially clear that the hotels have not just reopened, there is definitely a new normal. Evidence of this was found right from the moment I arrived at the hotel gates. Before I was even allowed inside the property my body temperature was taken. This was a quick and easy process and I stayed seated in the car as the security guard used an infrared thermometer.

b685b8_ae8fd4b78eb54007b8ac6637fe998d3a~

Before entering the front desk area, I was met with a sanitary station in which consisted of a hygiene mat to clean the bottom of my shoes on and also an alcohol gel dispenser to clean my hands. This process was painless.

From here I arrived at the front desk wearing a mask as I was actually unsure what the process was, looking back on this now I could have used some of my own initiative and read the Rosewood 'Commitment to Care' policy on their website.  It was so hot that I actually had to remove my mask to breathe and the staff said nothing, so I presumed all was okay with taking it off.  My butler was assigned to me and she kindly informed me that the resort was mask optional for guests but compulsory for all staff. 

As I was yet to see another guest I was still apprehensive as I really didn't want to spend my holiday wearing a mask. I was worried that the other guests would opt to wear a mask so I would get weird looks for not wearing one. However, upon entering a main communal area I found saw that not one of the guests wore a mask and this remained the same for my entire stay. Phew!

b685b8_9570337ad175479ea7f31e1cffc78cf5~

The Room

My room was extremely clean. It also came with a 'Care Bag' bag that I could use for my stay. The bag consisted of sanitizer spray, antiviral gel hand sanitizer, and disinfectant towels. 

The first thing I did was change out of the clothes I wore on the plane and put them into a plastic bag provided by the hotel so they could be sent to the laundry. This is just something I wanted to do to protect myself from possible cross-contamination of the room.

b685b8_850a2559d86d436898f3a2bb19c49a73~

While I personally didn't oversee the housekeeping service of my room (that would have been a bit weird) I do know the Rosewood have implemented intensified hygiene and safety measures following guidelines issued by local health authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This is quite a detailed policy and goes as far as regular cleaning of all air filters and air conditioning systems. I was told that staff are also changing pillow protectors and mattress pads between each guest. 

For comparison, I visited a nearby 5-star hotel as part of a site visit and noticed that many of the soft furnishings had been totally removed from the room as part of their Covid-19 measures, whereas Rosewood has not. Personally, I was very pleased with the appearance of my room at the Rosewood as the other hotel appeared a bit bare with these measures.

b685b8_ca832d6eb9e6456c881f0c0b9ea58a23~

Common Areas

Some of the common area facilities were reduced. I noticed the pools at the front of the property were not in use. On the first evening, two restaurants were in operation, and on the final night, only one was being used. Both were open air. For me, this was fine as I am don't mind where I eat.

The property itself is very large which is great should you wish to practice social distancing.  To get around to some places you need a buggy which is cleaned between each passenger.  

Hygiene stations are located at the entrances to each common area - the same sort of station as I found at the front desk - which was a shoe clean mat and hand sanitizer. Around the pool, the beach, and other areas there were hand cleaning stations. The hotel boutique (store) was the only place where a face mask was compulsory to enter.

The hotel has removed all paper menus from the cafe and restaurants and replaced these with QR codes. When you are at the table you can scan the QR code with your smartphone and the menu appears on the screen. This was no bother to my experience. Things like salt and pepper shakers were removed and replaced with paper sachets. I noticed the staff cleaning the tables thoroughly between each guest. The hotel also offered a 20 percent discount on food and drinks which I am guessing is in place to make up for the slight service reduction.

b685b8_2dd644524e724dcf95715bcea7e24a45~

When using the sun loungers, the staff covered them in a fabric protector, I am not sure if this was a new procedure to do with the new enhanced hygiene protocols or more for enhanced comfort.

The hotel was only allowed to open at, I think, 30 percent occupancy and it looked like it was at that. The clientele, in this case, was mainly from America and Mexico and nearly everyone was traveling with their children. I spent most of my time in the adult area which wasn't full at all. There are three pools in this particular area and I usually had one all to myself which was quite nice. The family pool area and the kids club were opened and appeared to be used a lot. It seems the kids club was used by parents to have some time out, this makes sense after spending a long lockdown at home. The kids appeared to be having a great time. The property is one of the best family-friendly resorts around.

The services in the spa were limited - e.g they have stopped doing manicures and pedicures which makes perfect sense. I cannot provide any more detail on the spa services as I did not visit it.

b685b8_433f50085f9b4585bb645344ba978ebd~

In Summary

I very much enjoyed my time at the Rosewood Mayakoba, it was a treat which was only possible due to the post-Coivd-19 special offers. Throughout my entire stay, I felt very comfortable that the hotel had the correct cleaning and sanitization measures in place. I heard no complaints from the other guests.  

b685b8_6f712a0e43404c2b8f7e5ea48bb3c54c~

This visit was important for me to see the new normal measures are in place so I can better inform my clients.  The other reason for my stay was to relax after a tough few months. 

The Covid-19 hygiene measures were not shoved in my face, eg the staff were not chasing guests around with bottles of hand sanitizer, using rulers to measure social distancing, or putting red tape everywhere sealing things off.

I can fully understand the reason why staff members have to wear face masks at the moment, however, I am very much looking forward to the day where the staff can remove them and we can see their faces as it gives a much more personable service experience. Talking about staff, all the staff I dealt with appeared very confident in the new safety standards that have been implemented. I was speaking to one of my local driver and he told me that all tourism staff in Quintana Roo have had to undergo an e-learning program and exam in relation to Covid-19 best practices.

What was noticeable was that the Rosewood Mayakoba's post lockdown operation was a very smooth and well-run machine. The procedures were balanced perfectly between guests being able to relax, their comfort, and most importantly safety. 

I very much looking forward to returning here again one day.

What is it like to check into a 5-star Luxury Hotel right after lockdown?

Would you like to write a review on the Rosewood Mayakoba?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 3, 20, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Thanks for this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 9:52 am

Fascinating, thank you. As I don't own a mobile phone I'm assuming I would starve.
Old Jul 3, 20, 10:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Unfortunate that hotels acquiesce to flippant guests by not making mask-usage mandatory.

Also, amusing that it was "so hot that you couldn't breathe", as getting COVID-19 might cause that, and much worse.
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Unfortunate that hotels acquiesce to flippant guests by not making mask-usage mandatory.

Also, amusing that it was "so hot that you couldn't breathe", as getting COVID-19 might cause that, and much worse.
as a doctor one of my favorite lines to read was the part about “should you wish to practice social distancing...” as well as the seemingly primary concern of clothing being cross contaminated vs behaviors that would mitigate the actual ways that we now know most people get this virus.
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
I am pleased you found my review helpful. I was wondering that myself plus there are some people who do not take their mobile on holiday with them. I guess they have a good old fashioned paper menu tucked away somewhere
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post
as a doctor one of my favorite lines to read was the part about “should you wish to practice social distancing...” as well as the seemingly primary concern of clothing being cross contaminated vs behaviors that would mitigate the actual ways that we now know most people get this virus.
Thank you for your comment.

Going back to your recent quote on this very website in which you say -

''Agreed, as a doctor I think its stupid that this has gone on but of course some companies are making $$$. Its absurd going through airports seeing people with pointless masks half off their faces or even snugly fit knowing that they have zero benefits and likely cause even more risks. Go wash your hands and stop being hysterical.'' .

There are also other statements that you have made on here that are similar in nature. With this being the caseI am not sure why you have such a problem with my stay at this property that you need to approach my review with negativity. If you don't like it then scroll on. Maybe you are just out to disagree with everyone. I highly
suggest you go through your previous posts and then you will realize most of what comes out of what you write is negativity, finding problems in what people post vs actually helping others. Or maybe you are just plain jealous that I got to kick back and relax at the Rosewood. Who knows?

Its also quite weird that you need to start so many of your sentences with 'as a doctor' - like what's up with that?

Anyway, you seem to be quite knowledgable on a lot of topics relating to travel so please put that to use instead of finding ways to nitpick at people. Its easier to be nice than be angry. Have a good weekend.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.

Last edited by dylanc; Jul 3, 20 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 3, 20, 3:22 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I appreciate seeing a firsthand update. I had every confidence that Rosewood Mayakoba would do a good job with their safety protocols, and it appears that they have done so. Personally, I would prefer more decorative elements removed the rooms, but I am a bit of a germaphobe and felt that way long before COVID.

I would be curious to know what precautions they are taking on behalf of staff, who are worthy regardless, but truly some of the best in the world when it comes to service. I am thinking about their shared bus transportation to and from the resort, the employee dining hall, etc. Did you hear anything about that while on property?

The people of Mexico don't deserve any less than what we do at home for ourselves and our own fellow citizens. In Nashville we now wear masks inside (except while seated and eating) and outside if 6 ft or less from someone. This seems reasonable to me and based on the best information that we have right now about transmission. Resorts are still working on their processes and they will evolve over time, but it's easy to take personal responsibility in the interim.
kimberlyrose likes this.

Last edited by luxtrvlwrks; Jul 3, 20 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 3, 20, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post

Standing right next to the employees without wearing a mask was an interesting choice, too.
Old Jul 3, 20, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kimberlyrose View Post
Standing right next to the employees without wearing a mask was an interesting choice, too.
Hi Kimberley Rose, out of me trying to better the community with, what others have called, a helpful article you have to pick one negative out of the whole thing.

However, to answer your criticism, the staff in the photo were my two butlers, we were together for much of the stay and even shared a table at the cafe together one morning which was their idea as there was something I had to discuss with them, they also spent a lot of time in my suite with me. After getting quite close to them I did have a private conversation with them which I will not broadcast here and they gave me their own view about the Covid situation in which afterward we took this photo (which was their idea). I would have never stood that close to them or anyone if I didn't have their full agreement.

I actually live in Mexico and we have a traditional Maya ritual here which is a mind cleansing ceremony that promotes a positive mind, I would like to personally invite you one. Please let me know if you are interested.

I notice in another thread you wrote - 'Like I tell my kids: worry about yourself, not other people.'. Please practice the exact message you are teaching your children and the world will be a better place. Have a nice weekend and peace to you.
wrldwide1 likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 4, 20 at 9:38 am Reason: Deleted personal attack
Old Jul 3, 20, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks View Post
I appreciate seeing a firsthand update. I had every confidence that Rosewood Mayakoba would do a good job with their safety protocols, and it appears that they have done so. Personally, I would prefer more decorative elements removed the rooms, but I am a bit of a germaphobe and felt that way long before COVID.

I would be curious to know what precautions they are taking on behalf of staff, who are worthy regardless, but truly some of the best in the world when it comes to service. I am thinking about their shared bus transportation to and from the resort, the employee dining hall, etc. Did you hear anything about that while on property?

The people of Mexico don't deserve any less than what we do at home for ourselves and our own fellow citizens. In Nashville we now wear masks inside (except while seated and eating) and outside if 6 ft or less from someone. This seems reasonable to me and based on the best information that we have right now about transmission. Resorts are still working on their processes and they will evolve over time, but it's easy to take personal responsibility in the interim.
Thank you so much for your constructive comment. I appreciate you thanking me for your trip report.

You have raised an excellent point and I too hope the staff are getting looked after behind the scenes. The State is being very strict with regulations but at the same time, they have to create a balancing act to get people back to work as there is no other financial support for them as Mexico is still a developing country. I did see another hotel bus where everyone was wearing masks - this is as far as I can detail this particular situation to you at the moment.

I might even email the hotel to ask them if they can share this information.

The state of Quintana Roo (Cancun, Tulum, Playa Del Carmen) pretty much only tourism as its main source of income it is nice to have a lot of the staff back earning money after what has probably been a very stressful time. But as you say I hope this is all getting done correctly.

Thanks again for a good message and have a lovely weekend.
Old Jul 3, 20, 4:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What was breakfast like? This hotel has one of my favorite breakfast buffets. Were you able to just order a la carte as much as you wanted instead?
Old Jul 3, 20, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
What was breakfast like? This hotel has one of my favorite breakfast buffets. Were you able to just order a la carte as much as you wanted instead?
Unfortunately, the days of the breakfast buffet are gone for now, with a neighbouring hotel telling me it may never be back

Breakfast was ordered off the menu. The portions were a good size and it was quality.

In the morning before my beach walk, I would pop in for a green juice, come back an hour later and have my actual breakfast then later on in the morning go back to the cafe for coffee. They put all these separate visits as part of my included breakfast which was good, not all hotels do this - eg once you have eaten any future visits are payable.

I know exactly what you mean by the breakfast buffets back in the day - all four of the Mayakoba hotels competing with each other on who had the best. Hopefully, those days return!
Old Jul 3, 20, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
I surely appreciate knowing a hotel I choose not to patronize - being in a high risk group patronizing a place that does not require masks of guests (if they can't maintain physical distancing) is not something I'd choose.
Old Jul 3, 20, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
I surely appreciate knowing a hotel I choose not to patronize - being in a high risk group patronizing a place that does not require masks of guests (if they can't maintain physical distancing) is not something I'd choose.
That would probably every hotel in the world then

If you are in a high-risk group then its probably best, with all due respect, to stay at home for the time being. One of the reasons I say this is, for example: I stayed at a hotel in Mexico City recently where masks were compulsory, however, of coarse the masks had to be removed in the cafe-restaurant in order to eat. This then required that maskless patrons were coming in contact with the servers. It is a no-win situation.

I hope things will get back to normal soon and everyone can travel but its probably not a great time for high-risk people to travel right at this moment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: