Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Checking into a 5-star Luxury Hotel right after lockdown? (Rosewood Mayakoba)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking into a 5-star Luxury Hotel right after lockdown? (Rosewood Mayakoba)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by dylanc
That would probably every hotel in the world then
In public areas? No.

I get that we all live in our own little bubble mainly influenced by those around us, but I think it's comments like this which have led to others noting rather directly parts of your review that I must say also made me sit up with a "...?" as just nobody would say or do those things in many countries.
estnet, kimberlyrose and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In public areas? No.

I get that we all live in our own little bubble mainly influenced by those around us, but I think it's comments like this which have led to others noting rather directly parts of your review that I must say also made me sit up with a "...?" as just nobody would say or do those things in many countries.
That comment was meant in a nice way as anywhere in the world is still not great for at-risk people to travel (and the person who posted said they are at-risk). There is no way that someone could conduct a hotel stay with somehow possibly getting exposed to Covid-19. The same applies to any daily activity such as visiting the supermarket, gas station, and so on. If you read further on in that comment I used the word 'respectively' and then went on with an example of why I came to that conclusion. Another example is having one bad staff member in a hotel not clean the room property after a Covid-19 positive guest, that's all it takes for the next guest who is at-risk to stay in it. This could cause some serious problems. This is due to Covid-19 being spread by spores that can last for many hours on different surfaces. I am sincerely sorry if you took my comment as being rude.

In regards to the negative and rude comments, they are not welcome but a comment for or against my stay done in a constructive manner is definitely encouraged.

Some people would not do these things in countries but at the end of the day, I studied the local Government regulation before booking the hotel and followed it once there. I broke no law.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Thank you for your comment.

Going back to your recent quote on this very website in which you say -

''Agreed, as a doctor I think its stupid that this has gone on but of course some companies are making $$$. Its absurd going through airports seeing people with pointless masks half off their faces or even snugly fit knowing that they have zero benefits and likely cause even more risks. Go wash your hands and stop being hysterical.'' .

There are also other statements that you have made on here that are similar in nature. With this being the caseI am not sure why you have such a problem with my stay at this property that you need to approach my review with negativity. If you don't like it then scroll on. Maybe you are just out to disagree with everyone. I highly
suggest you go through your previous posts and then you will realize most of what comes out of what you write is negativity, finding problems in what people post vs actually helping others. Or maybe you are just plain jealous that I got to kick back and relax at the Rosewood. Who knows?

Its also quite weird that you need to start so many of your sentences with 'as a doctor' - like what's up with that?

Anyway, you seem to be quite knowledgable on a lot of topics relating to travel so please put that to use instead of finding ways to nitpick at people. Its easier to be nice than be angry. Have a good weekend.
One of the things I have had to learn is that even with my level of expertise sometimes I’m absolutely wrong. I have to own that and learn from that. Although infectious diseases are not a specialty I should have known sooner how terrible this would become for the world. As soon as I began to actually see the horror that was starting to happen around me and the information (and state sponsored disinformation from presidents and prime ministers the world over) pouring in literally changing through every hour I immediately changed course. That’s what I hope people expect in a doctor. One of the problems we face is that people tend to think they know enough about things to believe they are right, but not enough about things to know their wrong...

Switching gears though - nice that you took time to say I had some knowledge about travel from studying previous posts. Coming from a travel advisor that is a big compliment!

Last edited by Fly_IAD; Jul 3, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
One of the things I have had to learn is that even with my level of expertise sometimes I’m absolutely wrong. I have to own that and learn from that. Although infectious diseases are not a specialty I should have known sooner how terrible this would become for the world. As soon as I began to actually see the horror that was starting to happen around me and the information (and state sponsored disinformation from presidents and prime ministers the world over) pouring in literally changing through every hour I immediately changed course. That’s what I hope people expect in a doctor. One of the problems we face is that people tend to think they know enough about things to believe they are right, but not enough about things to know their wrong...

Switching gears though - nice that you took time to say I had some knowledge about travel from studying previous posts. Coming from a travel advisor that is a big compliment!
I respect your opinion on Covid-19 and thank you for your reply. I guess each one of us is at a different stage of how far we want to expose ourselves in public, and as long as its following Government advice and within the law then what can we do. Some people take trips for different reasons - for me I live by myself in rural Mexico, I am an avid traveller and it was actually driving me crazy for been isolated for so long - I just needed to escape for two nights.

I have a doctor client from the States that has booked a safari in a country that is open in Africa at the end of the month. While this client is a respected doctor I know a lot of doctors would be horrified at such a trip. For me it made me uncomfortable as Ethiopian Airlines is really the only airline flying there at the moment and all I am thinking what would happen if they stop flying there - however I can only advise and not judge, guess its the same with your job as well

I guess we should all learn to respect each person's opinion. Its a tough time and this topic can let out a lot of emotion in people. I am learning how to conduct myself during the new normal as much as the next person. Again, I appreciate your reply and understand what you are saying. Let's just hope this is all over very soon.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I respect your opinion on Covid-19 and thank you for your reply. I guess each one of us is at a different stage of how far we want to expose ourselves in public, ..
I don't really care how you expose yourself you do expose others - employees or guests - by refusing to wear a mask. Not nice.
estnet, EuropeanPete and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't really care how you expose yourself you do expose others - employees or guests - by refusing to wear a mask. Not nice.
Thanks for your comment and by not reading my post and looking at one picture can fairly leave you with such a conclusion. I understand that you are in the United States, only yesterday many respectable media outlets have reported that there have been huge surges of Covid-19 cases in the US and late Friday the EU bought out a travel ban for US travelers for the time being. You have also had doctors such as the 'doctor' above originally downplay Covid and make statements such as ''Go wash your hands and stop being hysterical'' and then change their mind much later down the track when they realised the severity of the situation. With this being the case I can understand why you are thinking, what you think as the US is in a much different stage of their Covid-19 journey.

However, here in Mexico, it is a very different story, and the majority of our states are in a much better situation with the virus here than our neighbors as we jumped on it right from the very, very start.

While we have high cases in a few of the states (such as Mexico City), the State of Quintana Roo where I live, and where the Rosewood is located we have taken drastic actions right from the beginning. All of us have been without for many months in a lockdown, which involved not even going out to leaving the house under any circumstances, no Government rallies, protesting, the Government even went as far as imposing an alcohol ban for a couple of months. Our hard work, patience, and determination has finally paid off and the great Quintana Roo government has bought out the guidance of 'new normal' in where only employees have to wear masks at present, this is why you saw me not wear a mask and only the employees.

This very much reflects what is happening in Europe where I lived for 12 years and also my home country of New Zealand where one doesn't have to wear a mask but hospitality and people in industries such hairdressing have to. In some countries, they are so far along that only a face visor is needed. Most countries or states (such as Quintana Roo) are coming out of lockdown and this is what our 'new normal' looks like.

Last edited by dylanc; Jul 4, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, the days of the breakfast buffet are gone for now, with a neighbouring hotel telling me it may never be back

Breakfast was ordered off the menu. The portions were a good size and it was quality.

In the morning before my beach walk, I would pop in for a green juice, come back an hour later and have my actual breakfast then later on in the morning go back to the cafe for coffee. They put all these separate visits as part of my included breakfast which was good, not all hotels do this - eg once you have eaten any future visits are payable.

I know exactly what you mean by the breakfast buffets back in the day - all four of the Mayakoba hotels competing with each other on who had the best. Hopefully, those days return!
Agreed that the days of the buffet are long gone. To be honest, unlimited a la carte may be preferable. As long as I can get those green juices, coffee w/cinnamon, chiliquiles and unlimited mango I would be very happy!
I am scheduled to go to the One & Only in Punta Mita in November, curious to see how things are there / then compared to your report. Different state, etc. Either way, thank you for your report!
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Agreed that the days of the buffet are long gone. To be honest, unlimited a la carte may be preferable. As long as I can get those green juices, coffee w/cinnamon, chiliquiles and unlimited mango I would be very happy!
I am scheduled to go to the One & Only in Punta Mita in November, curious to see how things are there / then compared to your report. Different state, etc. Either way, thank you for your report!
I guess that the positive of having no buffet is less food wastage which could fit in well with the whole responsible travel philosophy guests are wanting these days. The staff at the Rosewood had no problem bringing me multiple drinks during the buffet - they made a carrot and ginger juice for me which was not on the menu.

You will be one of the first guests at the Only & Only Punta Mita, lucky you. I have seen some of the photos of the property so far and it looks like it's going to be a game-changer and much welcome addition to Punta Mita/PV area. I hope you write a trip report! My friends who live in that area tell me that the state of Nayarit is more open than the other states - the beaches are open there vs the beaches in QR still, not being open.

The next hotel on my list is Belmond Maroma which so many people have recommended to me.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:08 pm

This very much reflects what is happening in Europe where I lived for 12 years and also my home country of New Zealand where one doesn't have to wear a mask but hospitality and people in industries such hairdressing have to. In some countries, they are so far along that only a face visor is needed. Most countries or states (such as Quintana Roo) are coming out of lockdown and this is what our 'new normal' looks like.
No mask wearing required in New Zealand by anyone. Life is back to normal bar our borders being closed (and some hotels being closed to public to house isolated arrivals). However whilst we are in a 'new normal' I suspect it'll be a very long time until we are back to the 'old' normal.

Thank you for the review though, certainly an interesting and appreciated insight.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chessboxin
No mask wearing required in New Zealand by anyone. Life is back to normal bar our borders being closed (and some hotels being closed to public to house isolated arrivals). However whilst we are in a 'new normal' I suspect it'll be a very long time until we are back to the 'old' normal.

Thank you for the review though, certainly an interesting and appreciated insight.
Thank you for your kind words. I hope New Zealand gets back to normal as soon as possible.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... I would have never stood that close to them or anyone if I didn't have their full agreement.

Then you should have asked them to take off their masks - what do you have to worry about?
The reality is that the employees have to chose between job and health. And given Mexico's 15% covid mortality the risk is very significant.

I dont think we need to stop travel during covid (just got back from our third trip for that matter) but we have be considerate of others and the situation - wear mask, keep distance, postpone some of the luxury aspects until better days if they put others in danger.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Then you should have asked them to take off their masks - what do you have to worry about?
The reality is that the employees have to chose between job and health. And given Mexico's 15% covid mortality the risk is very significant.

I dont think we need to stop travel during covid (just got back from our third trip for that matter) but we have be considerate of others and the situation - wear mask, keep distance, postpone some of the luxury aspects until better days if they put others in danger.
I was considerate of others.

I invite you to open up an atlas and you will see the size of Mexico is absolutely huge, for example, it takes over 2 hours to fly from Mexico City to Cancun. The novel coronavirus situation is Quintana Roo is low and does not reflect that of what is happening in some other parts country in which some states are really suffering. It is much lower than the 15 percent that you quote above*. Nowhere for that matter has a 15 percent fatality rate*. In fact if you were presenting that statistic in an academic environment it was be dismissed immediately as you have made a schoolboy error and failed to state your source. Read this how you please but the main area in Mexico where the rates are the highest is along the US border*.

Quintana Roo is at orange status and everything I did here was within Government guidelines*. I live here so I know what the rules are.

What you see happening at the Rosewood (and QR hotels, restaurants, bars and cafes in general) shadows many other parts of the world such as the United Kingdom, mainland Europe, New Zealand, and Australia where people in certain jobs have to wear a mask while customers do not. These people were my butlers and I had a long conversation with them during my time at the property and I know they were very comfortable with the interactions taking place with not only me but the other guests as well. I also think of myself as a pretty good reader of body language and know they were sincere in what they told me and not just saying that because I was a paying guest. If you look at the photo closely you will see the staff member actually has his arm around me, not the sort of action of a staff member in a distressing situation. I don't think any reasonable person would make someone feel uncomfortable in the way you describe above.

Finally, if you read my article, instead of only looking at the photos you would note my temperature was taken before I entered the property, obviously, if I had a high reading I would not have been allowed in - on top of this I was not actually displaying any Covid-19 symptoms at all. Why would I spend thousands of dollars at a hotel if I was feeling sick? The policy was flexible so I could have easily delayed it and I only live around the corner so could have easily visited at any time.

If you would like to continue this conversation then please DM me.

*Source - https://coronavirus.gob.mx/
uclabruin82 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some comments on this thread are turning a bit too political for this forum. FT has a dedicated forum on Corona virus and, for those who have made 90 posts and been a member for 90 days, there are also various Omni forums. Likely those would be better for any ongoing discussion outside the remit of this forum.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Fascinating, thank you. As I don't own a mobile phone I'm assuming I would starve.
I don't own a mobile phone either. I think that food parcels may be in order...
Pausanias likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I don't own a mobile phone either. I think that food parcels may be in order...
Preferably from Le Gavroche.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.