Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Venues for Older and/or Disabled Guests

Old Jun 17, 20, 12:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

List here luxury hotels / resorts that go out of their way to make a sterling stay for older or disabled guests.

Some important elements (variously): ground-floor accommodations, elevators, golf carts or jitneys, electric bicycles, walk-in showers, easy-entry/exit swimming pools, accessible dining rooms, graciously helpful staff, step-up aids in the spa to access treatment tables (or electric tables), easy airport meet-and-greet and checkin, lovely grounds that are easily walkable. Other services, facilities, amenities.
SanDiego1K and obscure2k like this.
Old Jun 17, 20, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They're not true luxury and have nice but not extensive grounds for strolling, but the Broadmoor (Colorado Springs) and Mandalay Bay (Las Vegas) both have an outdoor pool that's beach-like in that one gradually walks down a gentle slope into the water, IIRC with some sand in both.

Many of the items on your wish list will be required by law in some countries, but there can be is sues in the details, such as whether the property has an accessible (senior) suite category that can be confirmed. For this, a more spread out resort might work better than a high rise building. Good examples of properties with good ground floor suites would include Posada (Santa Fe) and Andaz Scottsdale.

In addition to independent properties, some luxury brands that have older clientele (and probably are more traditional in style) might generally work better, so I'd look at LC and RC plus definitely StR rather than Andaz or PH for a crude first step. At the chain level, Fairmont and Four Seasons are also likely to be good.

Walkability of the grounds depends greatly on location. For example, some Greek islands (and other resorts clinging to the side of a steep hill) are almost guaranteed to be bad. Every hotel I can recall in Japan has had restaurants and similar places that are up or down at least a couple steps from the main floor level with at best an awkward hidden ramp. The same is true of some of the traditional luxury hotels in Paris and other places in Europe, which can also have half flights of stairs in their hallways and some interesting loft stye suites.
Old Jun 17, 20, 5:16 am

Most luxury hotels are geared towards disabled guests. Especially in the USA, this is the norm. To list everyone around the world here would be endless - hence the best in New York City:

Four Seasons New York
Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons Downtown
Ritz Carlton Central Park
St. Regis New York
The Mark
The Dominick
Andaz 5th Ave
Old Jun 18, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Privateupgrades View Post
Most luxury hotels are geared towards disabled guests. Especially in the USA, this is the norm. To list everyone around the world here would be endless - hence the best in New York City:

Four Seasons New York
Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons Downtown
St. Regis New York
The Mark
The Dominick
Andaz 5th Ave
I greatly enjoy the Four Seasons New York with its fantastic corner rooms and fantastic IM Pei architecture, and the service, but we came here with my father who was in a wheelchair and it was a challenge. There was a short ride on the electric lift every time we came into the hotel, and then the elevator to the rooms (which is expected). Every morning for breakfast they had to bring a ramp and push him up to the elevated breakfast area. They were absolutely happy to do this for us, but it was a bit of extra effort on everyones part. I donít share this to discourage a stay, but only to share our experience.
Old Jun 18, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The Four Seasons Palm Beach and the Four Seasons Hualalai properties are both excellent for persons with challenged mobility, and give extra caring service to them. For example both properties had beach teams who carried my father down the beach to the water so that he could swim. These were extraordinary acts of kindness I will always remember.
obscure2k, KatW, LinLant and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 20, 2:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U View Post
The Four Seasons Palm Beach and the Four Seasons Hualalai properties are both excellent for persons with challenged mobility, and give extra caring service to them. For example both properties had beach teams who carried my father down the beach to the water so that he could swim. These were extraordinary acts of kindness I will always remember.
Thank you. This is the sort of feedback I was hoping for.
Old Jun 18, 20, 6:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Privateupgrades View Post

Four Seasons New York
Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons Downtown
St. Regis New York
The Mark
The Dominick
Andaz 5th Ave
It can be difficult to recognize access issues when one is not mobility impaired. Just a few stair steps can be troublesome. Marble floors can be slippery, especially in bathrooms. Standing for a length of time can be a challenge. Climbing in and out of a swimming pool is a no-no, easy walk in and out with handrail preferred.

Another issue is discretion. Many folk wish not to be stared at. Thus, hauling out a ramp is less than discrete.
SanDiego1K, offerendum and lb8001 like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jun 18, 20 at 7:30 pm
Old Jun 19, 20, 6:47 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
It can be difficult to recognize access issues when one is not mobility impaired.
That's the point. Especially the same with many other things.
KatW and lb8001 like this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Cap Juluca in Anguila, is very friendly for those who don’t get around easily. Many ground floor suites and villas, some with private, accessible pools. Golf carts for villa guests, others may rent. Easily accessible beach. Some areas have a few steps : lounge, spa, pool, some restauranrs. There is s food truck, however, and room service, beach service. Every accommodation has an ocean view. Service can be a bit stiff.
Old Jun 22, 20, 6:22 am

Thanks Goodmorning2U for sharing that - great to hear that also your father had a wonderful stay at FS New York.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: