Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hotel suggestions sought for Arizona driving trip

Old Jun 1, 20, 10:15 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Once the summer heat breaks, I am thinking about a loop drive from San Diego thru Arizona. Where would you suggest staying in:
  • Tucson
  • Phoenix
  • Sedona
  • Jerome
Are there other places with special hotels you'd suggest visiting in Arizona?
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:21 am

RC Dove Mountain is very nice (20 miles north of Tuscon).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MicSanToro View Post
RC Dove Mountain is very nice (20 miles north of Tuscon).
Also liked Dove Mountain, but stay was in 2010 when it was brand-new. Stayed also at FS Scotsdale during this trip, I guess it was done by the same designer. Also nice hotel. In Sedona my Ex-wife let me stay at some Inn. Unique but nothing for this forum (or I would stay today)
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:04 pm

Are you only interested in hotels or in seeing Arizona? I am purely destination driven so I would put pins in the map for Monument Valley (strictly speaking in Utah), Arches NP, Zion NP and Grand Canyon. We did this once - absolutely stunning but it was mainly motels like a Best Western at Moab and Goulding's Lodge at Monument Valley. From Scottsdale/Phoenix you can take a small plane to the Grand Canyon which does a few passes through the Canyon itself and drops you off for a few hours. We stayed once at Tucson at the traditional Arizona Inn and loved it.
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Once the summer heat breaks, I am thinking about a loop drive from San Diego thru Arizona. Where would you suggest staying in:
  • Sedona
Are there other places with special hotels you'd suggest visiting in Arizona?
I'm not sure if I'm uttering blaspheme on Flyertalk by suggesting this, but I stayed in two Diamond timeshares in Sedona and both were really, really nice, and did not cost more than a good hotel (huge spaces, comfortable, clean, reasonably good locations). Did not go through timeshare stuff just paid the nightly fee and did not stop by welcome desk. IIRC "the ridge" was the nicer of the two (just seemed a little newer) but "the Summit" was closer to amenities and the main drag in Sedona.

Just a thought.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:40 pm
Original Member

The Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and is true old style resort with forty acres of gardens, eight pools, spa, etc.

I have stayed only at the Auberge in Sedona but was not over the moon over it. Were I to go now, Iíd consider Enchantment for the views. By the way, I loved Sedona area for its outstanding, unique beauty, the new-age folderol notwithstanding.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW View Post
The Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and is true old style resort with forty acres of gardens, eight pools, spa, etc.

I have stayed only at the Auberge in Sedona but was not over the moon over it. Were I to go now, Iíd consider Enchantment for the views. By the way, I loved Sedona area for its outstanding, unique beauty, the new-age folderol notwithstanding.
The Biltmore is ok, but I didnít feel it was that great overall. Elite benefits were minimal, room was ok, but nothing to get excited about.

Just remember, the summer heat breaks in central Arizona in mid to late October.
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
The Biltmore is ok, but I didnít feel it was that great overall. Elite benefits were minimal, room was ok, but nothing to get excited about.

Just remember, the summer heat breaks in central Arizona in mid to late October.
For some, the FLW designation is reason to visit
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:54 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Are you only interested in hotels or in seeing Arizona? I am purely destination driven so I would put pins in the map for Monument Valley (strictly speaking in Utah), Arches NP, Zion NP and Grand Canyon.
I am mostly destination driven. After all, we saw Uzbekistan and Ethiopia, very much for the destinations. And we did national parks in southern Utah including Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and Capital Reef. The only hotel of note was the finale at Amangiri. Southern Utah is amazing and I would encourage everyone to visit the stunning national parks there. So I'm very open to a broader range of destinations in Arizona.
Old Jun 1, 20, 4:13 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

I just roughed out a possible itinerary. I'll post the map as it might inspire someone to suggest another place we should include. And I appreciate the hotel suggestions and hope more will be made. I'm looking for gorgeous scenery on this trip, not planning museums or shopping.

Old Jun 1, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Are you only interested in hotels or in seeing Arizona? I am purely destination driven so I would put pins in the map for Monument Valley (strictly speaking in Utah), Arches NP, Zion NP and Grand Canyon. We did this once - absolutely stunning but it was mainly motels like a Best Western at Moab and Goulding's Lodge at Monument Valley. From Scottsdale/Phoenix you can take a small plane to the Grand Canyon which does a few passes through the Canyon itself and drops you off for a few hours. We stayed once at Tucson at the traditional Arizona Inn and loved it.

If you are destination driven, with due respect to the above poster, do NOT fly to Grand Canyon (drive! to see the scenery/change of elevation/Sedona on the way) and do NOT stay only a few hours at the Canyon! Stay overnight at El Tovar or another property, hike or mule down all or partially, catch at least one sunrise and one sunset if not more. Take a day raft trip on the Colorado.

Separately, agree with the reco for Enchantment in Sedona (take a red rock Jeep trip!).

Love the newly renovated Phoenician in PHX/Scottsdale.
SanDiego1K, KatW and offerendum like this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I just roughed out a possible itinerary. I'll post the map as it might inspire someone to suggest another place we should include. And I appreciate the hotel suggestions and hope more will be made. I'm looking for gorgeous scenery on this trip, not planning museums or shopping.

Did something similar many moons ago , SanDiego1K , but in the reverse order . Think it was flying into LAX ( Regent Beverly Hills ) then via Palm Desert to Phoenix ( as base ) & ending in Newport Beach / San Diego . Phoenix , stayed at the Fairmont , delicious dinner at the Biltmore to view the property & drove to Grand Canyon via Sedona .. trying to recall where we stayed !
This was probably just before I came onboard FT , was exhausted & jet lagged from this trip when I stumbled on this wonderful distraction and fount of fun insightful information , thanks to the friendly folks on here .

But do remember a spectacular helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Prescott over Jerome

Personally, I love Jerome as a day trip but wouldn't consider staying overnight. My preference would be to stay in Prescott, about 40 miles away. Have lunch in Jerome on the way to Sedona. Note that Jerome is carved into the side of the mountain so walking around takes some effort.

Only place to stay in Prescott:

https://www.hassayampainn.com/

Historic, friendly service, and great food.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
In Tucson, I have always liked the historic Arizona Inn in midtown. Although it may not be up to the standards of many here I have always enjoyed the food and patio. We even had a Do dinner here many years ago (South Tucson International Frequent Flyer Society and missydarlin's first do iirc). Miraval and Canyon Ranch are the spa type resorts that seem to get most of the attention (I've been to Canyon Ranch and had a good stay, never been to Miraval). Over toward Willcox, Chiracahua National Monument is a place that I always visit each trip to Tucson offering various difficulty levels of hikes; it's usually not very busy and an easy day trip from Tucson.

Like KatW, I like the Biltmore despite it not being great.

Navajo National Monument is currently closed but when open doing the guided hike to Betatakin provides an up close visit to the alcove dwelling. Continuing up to Mexican Hat and Blanding, Natural Bridges is one of my favorite places offering easy access to three natural bridges. If you are wanting something more the full loop hike in the canyon is 9+ miles (one of my favorite hikes). A few small unremarkable inns and motels are available in Blanding, Bluff, and Mexican Hat. There are some other small attractions in the general area including Hovenweep National Monument without going up to Moab.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 1, 20 at 5:56 pm Reason: speling and add stiffs
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you can make it further east, I would highly recommend going to Page to see the Horseshoe Bend. Was just there last week and it is fantastic.
offerendum likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: