Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Your favorite hotels of all time

Your favorite hotels of all time

Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:31 am
Suspended

Bulgari Bali
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:58 am

This thread is really interesting. My contribution to keep it going.

City Hotels
1. Raffles Doha
2. Rosewood Hong Kong
2. Peninsula Shanghai

Resorts
1. Four Seasons Sharm-el-Sheikh
2. Anantara Qasr Al Sarab
3. Four Seasons Dubai

Last edited by sandeep.thilakan; Nov 14, 2023 at 11:18 am Reason: Favourites changed
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
The Narita Hilton.

Stayed there at least a dozen times. The shuttle bus from the airport always leaves exactly on time. Always greeted as I get off the bus and welcomed to the hotel. Never have to wait to check in. Everything is always in order and ready to go. Always upgraded to their best non suite room... pleasant, immaculately maintained and comfortable with very good soundproofing and spotlessly clean windows. Excellent shower pressure. Quiet and effective AC. Never hear other guests or door slamming. Enjoy my welcome beer in the bar. Japanese bath and sauna in the basement. Little convenience store in the lobby. Well serviced buffet breakfast will large selection included. Checkout never has a line. Never a billing issue or any problem. Shuttle to the airport always exactly on time. All this and I don't think I have ever paid more than $100 to stay there. It does exactly what I want it to do. I have never left there disappointed with anything.

Last edited by schriste; Apr 11, 2021 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:59 am

Singita Sasakwa
Amanpulo
Amansara
Velaa
Merrion
MO Tokyo
Hotel Bora Bora (down memory lane)
WDW Polynesian Resort (yes, I said that)
PH Sydney
Al Maha
Otahuna
Matakauri Lodge
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I’ll add a few that are less traveled:
Four Seasons Koh Samui
Singita Sasakwa (nice to see some fans here!) but also Ebony, Sweni (if you like a teeny lodge), and Sabora tented camp. Each special in its own way, so hard to decide.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
So much of what makes a hotel a "favorite" is going to based on an experince one had there, so I think this is interesting as opposed to the "best" hotel.

For me I would go with:
City:
Plaza Athenee - One of the best all-time complimentary upgrades and, seperately, one of the best all-time service recoveries
Peninsula Tokyo - Have not stayed since 2008 - 2010 time frame, but like it more than the other hotels I have stayed at since then
The Upper House - The view from those suites
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires - Love the mansion rooms and then having a snack and drink in the garden. A great place to come back to after working

Resort / Leisure:
Amanjiwo
Aman-i-khas
Rosewood Mayakoba
Cheval Blanc St Barths (although I cant actually remember the name of the hotel when I stayed there)
&beyond ngorongoro crater lodge - not for the game viewing but the lodge itself I just really liked
Il San Pietro

Last edited by uclabruin82; Apr 15, 2021 at 9:46 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
  1. Rooms Hotel, Kazbegi, Georgia - former tuberculosis sanatorium, amazing views over Caucasus Mountains
An absolutely lovely property with breathtaking views. This may be one of the more underrated properties on this thread.

These are great lists. I would also add Excelsior Gallia in Milan for their breakfast alone
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
So much of what makes a hotel a "favorite" is going to based on an experince one had there, so I think this is interesting as opposed to the "best" hotel.

For me I would go with:
City:
Plaza Athenee - One of the best all-time complimentary upgrades and, seperately, one of the best all-time service recoveries
Peninsula Tokyo - Have not stayed since 2008 - 2010 time frame, but like it more than the other hotels I have stayed at since then
The Upper House - The view from those suites
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires - Love the mansion rooms and then having a snack and drink in the garden. A great place to come back to after working

Resort / Leisure:
Amanjiwo
Aman-i-khas
Rosewood Mayakoba
Cheval Blanc St Barths (although I cant actually remember the name of the hotel when I stayed there)
&beyond ngorongoro crater lodge - not for the game viewing but the lodge itself I just really liked
Il San Pietro
The staff at the crater lodge makes it very special for guests, but agree re the game viewing - lacking because it’s a public park and you are limited in what you can see on the roads. We had a nice stay but heard complaints from other guests due to shared vehicles (other guests wanted to be on a different game viewing schedule in a shared vehicle or long waits waiting for other flights to arrive after yours) which IMO is totally unacceptable at that price point.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by floridagal23
The staff at the crater lodge makes it very special for guests, but agree re the game viewing - lacking because it’s a public park and you are limited in what you can see on the roads. We had a nice stay but heard complaints from other guests due to shared vehicles (other guests wanted to be on a different game viewing schedule in a shared vehicle or long waits waiting for other flights to arrive after yours) which IMO is totally unacceptable at that price point.
Fair point. This was our first safari and we were on our honeymoon, so we were not quite on the private car supplement trip yet.
As for the airport transfer, we were flying in from the &beyon Lake Minyara with another (unrelated) couple so we did not have to wait and I did not even think about it - but agreed that waiting for other flights to arrive would be annoying.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:46 pm

My top 5 city hotels are.....
1. Peninsula Chicago
2. Ritz-Carlton San Francisco
3. Park Hyatt NYC
4. Hotel Bennett Charleston
5. Mandarin Oriental DC

My top 5 resorts are......
1. Stein Eriksen Residences Deer Valley
2. Montage Palmetto Bluff
3. The Greenbrier
4. The Eau Palm Beach
5. The Sanctuary Kiawah Island

Between the two categories the best 5 hotels I've stayed at have been.....
1. Stein Eriksen Residences
2. Montage Palmetto Bluff
3. Peninsula Chicago
4. Ritz-Carlton San Francisco
5. Park Hyatt NYC

My best hotel experience of all time was a stay at the Greenbrier.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Apr 19, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
4. Ritz-Carlton San Francisco
Unfortunately I don't have this hotel in a very good memory. Had a quite disappointing stay.
KatW likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Unfortunately I don't have this hotel in a very good memory. Had a quite disappointing stay.
Our stay/room was great in San Fran but I get what you mean. I could have easily added the Four Seasons Downtown NYC as one of my favorite spots. The hotel is stunningly beautiful, unfortunately we had a bad experience there and I only remember that moment when I think of the stay.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Not in any special order except to say that The Dorchester is the best hotel I ever stayed in. After that:

George V

Plaza Athénée

Baur au Lac

Four Seasons Washington, DC

Las Brisas and/or Villa Vera (don't worry, at least 30 years ago)

Four Seasons Scottsdale.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by schriste
The Narita Hilton.

Stayed there at least a dozen times... ...It does exactly what I want it to do. I have never left there disappointed with anything.
Do you stay there instead of Tokyo or use it only the night before departure?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by op487062
Do you stay there instead of Tokyo or use it only the night before departure?
Mostly day of arrival and/or night before departure. This hotel is in no way meant to be a substitute for a nice hotel in Tokyo. However I have also used the Narita Hilton as a mid trip logistics base. Night 1, 8 and 15 at Narita Hilton with night 8 used to swap out clothes with stored luggage (and drop off various Knick knacks accumulated during trip). Can then travel very light.

Last edited by schriste; Aug 1, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.