Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 3:30 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Good if they let us know about the procedures by the end of next week. I was reading about this in The Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...e-coronavirus/
However, if what was said in the comments is true - then it’s great news. In the comments, a Thomas Chambers writes: "This 'news' has been lifted from a draft guideline that was sent out for comment to partners and stakeholders in the Maldivian tourism industry. The feedback from all parties was similar to the Telegraph's; that many of the ideas were unworkable. Namely paying for a visa/test on arrival, quarantining in your room, arriving with an antibody test and staying for a minimum of 14 nights. They have, therefore, been omitted from the actual guidelines. As a result, sensible policies remain to safeguard guests, without causing them extra stress or costing more money. As a multi-island nation, Maldives is naturally equipped to deal with such a pandemic."

Agree that QSuites is probably one of the best ways, though it seems the July schedule has an A320(!) flying there, once daily. Thankfully, Emirates still has an 77W scheduled.
Yeah, saw that change back and forth over the past month or so regarding the QSuites for the leg of DOH - MLE but whatever, I'll gladly manage the 4 hours on A320 if Maldives make rest of the trip easy

Hoping that if the news are good then some of the resorts will also consider opening earlier than forecasted to be. Specially, Cheval Blanc. Set to open Aug 15th but July would be lovely.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Good if they let us know about the procedures by the end of next week. I was reading about this in The Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...e-coronavirus/
However, if what was said in the comments is true - then it’s great news. In the comments, a Thomas Chambers writes: "This 'news' has been lifted from a draft guideline that was sent out for comment to partners and stakeholders in the Maldivian tourism industry. The feedback from all parties was similar to the Telegraph's; that many of the ideas were unworkable. Namely paying for a visa/test on arrival, quarantining in your room, arriving with an antibody test and staying for a minimum of 14 nights. They have, therefore, been omitted from the actual guidelines. As a result, sensible policies remain to safeguard guests, without causing them extra stress or costing more money. As a multi-island nation, Maldives is naturally equipped to deal with such a pandemic."
This is true. I just checked with a local GM. Official anouncement to be expected soon. Most hotels plan to reopen by August though as they also expect that demand will be too low in July.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My prediction is that high end properties are going to book up for summer. The reality is setting in that we are each likely to be confined to the countries in which we live. Within that country, many of us will decide to drive so that narrows the number of places we can stay. There aren't that many properties that are truly luxurious in the US. Further, I know that I want to stay in low density properties. I believe that as people begin to book, demand is going to outstrip inventory especially as a lot of places are only reopening in mid July. That really compresses the summer holiday season to just a few weeks. If you want to travel this summer, I recommend that you get serious about getting your bookings made.
From my experience in trying to book high end properties in France and Italy, this is mostly true. I'm finding few deals at the ultra high end, and properties are holding the line on rates, guaranteed upgrades, etc. One property in southern France agreed to extend a long-stay, shoulder season rate I had with them since I couldn't visit in April, but we have a very close relationship already and they're sitting on a 10k deposit of mine (that's refundable), so lot's of good will.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:33 am

I'm not sure that travelling in your own personal Q-suite bubble to the Maldives gives you any protection. You still need to get to the airport, check in and go through all that security hassle when you touch all sorts of questionable stuff and, yes, maybe go to the lavatory. And then there's another airport at the end. And then there's the resort itself with all sorts of off-putting distancing and protection measures. Then another airport when you check out and then you quarantine yourself for two weeks. Isn't travelling wonderful?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm not sure that travelling in your own personal Q-suite bubble to the Maldives gives you any protection. You still need to get to the airport, check in and go through all that security hassle when you touch all sorts of questionable stuff and, yes, maybe go to the lavatory. And then there's another airport at the end. And then there's the resort itself with all sorts of off-putting distancing and protection measures. Then another airport when you check out and then you quarantine yourself for two weeks. Isn't travelling wonderful?
This is right. There will be a lot of heroic struggle to get to and return from the 14 day gilded cage wherever you go in the Maldives.

I am waiting until the fall at least before anything like that.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by Epicura
This is true. I just checked with a local GM. Official anouncement to be expected soon. Most hotels plan to reopen by August though as they also expect that demand will be too low in July.
That's some good news. Hope they come out with it soon. The last day or two, a whole slew of online media outlets has been publishing the "Maldives reopening in July" news, with the various required tests and 14 day minimum stays, etc.
Epicura likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:35 pm
Suspended

CDC travel ban and US quarantine must first be revoked before any travel can be considered. I know from a lot of businesses that if they find out you have traveled and NOT gone into quarantine, they will fire you on the spot.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
CDC travel ban and US quarantine must first be revoked before any travel can be considered. I know from a lot of businesses that if they find out you have traveled and NOT gone into quarantine, they will fire you on the spot.
And many of us work from home and thus "self quarantine" upon return is not really a problem if required.

You are making some pretty broad assumptions, based I sense, on how you want people to operate.

Regards
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
This is right. There will be a lot of heroic struggle to get to and return from the 14 day gilded cage wherever you go in the Maldives.

I am waiting until the fall at least before anything like that.
The point was (see above) that today there's nothing we know about how Maldives will reopen. The 14 day minimum stay was some kind of proposal and it's not clear if they will even implement this.

Anyway, even if the entry restrictions for Maldives would be manageable, at least for most EU citizens options in Summer will be limited. The current trend is definitely that EU internal borders (preferrably intra Schengen) will reopen on June 15 but countries are maintaining a negative general travel advice except for intra EU/Schengen travel (Germany, Netherlands and Belgium too afaik). A European Council meeting is planned for this week (I think on Friday).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh my goddess, I am SO stir crazy. Thinking seriously about driving down to Santa Barbara and back next week with a four night stay at San Yisidro Ranch in a creekside cottage. From Palo Alto, 300 miles, a five-hour drive (for me).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:12 am

The Point opens June 25. There will be enhanced private dining rather than the communal dining that they had in the past. (Private dining had been available also previously).
The Boathouse (the most popular room) appears to be booked until October 18.
Most of the autumnal foliage will be past peak by then.
KatW likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Just pulled the trigger for a July "driving" vacation. Will spend 2 nights at Primland while enroute to Blackberry Farm for 4 nights and then on the return drive stop and spend 2 nights at The Inn at Little Washington. Any suggestions for any of the properties is appreciated. Definitely not our usual vacation. The past few years have been Maldives, Koh Samui, Phuket, etc.; however, given the current pandemic wanted to at least get away and find some quiet luxury for a few days. It is definitely needed.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:49 am

I've received a lovely email from Gravetye Manor informing us of their July re-opening and their special two-day breaks. There is a wealth of detail about their Covid-safe arrangements. It's a gorgeous property and we may well take them up on their offer. I see that each room now comes with guest's personal hand sanitiser and face mask. Is this to become the essential Virtuoso amenity?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I've received a lovely email from Gravetye Manor informing us of their July re-opening and their special two-day breaks. There is a wealth of detail about their Covid-safe arrangements. It's a gorgeous property and we may well take them up on their offer. I see that each room now comes with guest's personal hand sanitiser and face mask. Is this to become the essential Virtuoso amenity?
Mask will be hand stitched with your initials. Sanitizer will engraved with same.
Pausanias likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a respite at Gravetye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.