Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

When We Can Travel Again

When We Can Travel Again

Old May 26, 2020, 7:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

So, in the U.S., what lux properties are open? San Ysidro Ranch. What else?
Old May 26, 2020, 11:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KatW
So, in the U.S., what lux properties are open? San Ysidro Ranch. What else?
Ventana Big Sur reopens July 14.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Post Ranch Inn may open 6 July.

Twin Farms opens 16 June.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by KatW; May 27, 2020 at 1:34 am
Old May 27, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We are going to FS Jackson Hole and Amangani in late June. We are at Watersound Beach in the Florida Panhandle right now. Glad to finally be traveling a little.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:53 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Blackberry Farm and their new sister property, Blackberry Mountain (20 minutes down the road) is also open now and booking quickly.

Rosewood Miramar had their soft opening last week and should be in full operations now.

Looks like Four Seasons Surfclub, after 3 delays, is finally going to re-open on June 11th.

And we're heading back to Montage Palmetto Bluff next Friday as it re-opens on June 4th.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:55 pm

My prediction is that high end properties are going to book up for summer. The reality is setting in that we are each likely to be confined to the countries in which we live. Within that country, many of us will decide to drive so that narrows the number of places we can stay. There aren't that many properties that are truly luxurious in the US. Further, I know that I want to stay in low density properties. I believe that as people begin to book, demand is going to outstrip inventory especially as a lot of places are only reopening in mid July. That really compresses the summer holiday season to just a few weeks. If you want to travel this summer, I recommend that you get serious about getting your bookings made.
Ericka and BESVISOR like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My prediction is that high end properties are going to book up for summer. The reality is setting in that we are each likely to be confined to the countries in which we live. Within that country, many of us will decide to drive so that narrows the number of places we can stay. There aren't that many properties that are truly luxurious in the US. Further, I know that I want to stay in low density properties. I believe that as people begin to book, demand is going to outstrip inventory especially as a lot of places are only reopening in mid July. That really compresses the summer holiday season to just a few weeks. If you want to travel this summer, I recommend that you get serious about getting your bookings made.
I concur.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:41 pm

From Post Ranch Inn.

We are currently closed through June 30th, and do not have a firm reopen date at this time.

That being said, we are hoping to reopen sometime in July.

Once we reopen, the restaurant will be exclusively for in-house guests to start, to limit the amount of guests coming on and off the property (likely through August and possibly beyond).
Old May 30, 2020, 3:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I expect higher rates for those luxe venues open this summer in the U.S. Partly due to demand and somewhat due to higher operating costs.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:36 pm

Mohonk Mountain House open June 15.
Brush Creek Ranch opens June 7. Magee Homestead will be total buy out only. French Creek will be closed all season.
Dunton Hot Springs is open now.
I won’t be traveling this summer or fall except to our house in Lake George.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following on to the points raised so far, I'd enjoy spending some time in the mountains of California this summer (the Sierras or the mountains north of them). Does anyone know any low density luxury, or maybe even upscale, places to go in that area? I sure don't!
Old May 30, 2020, 11:00 pm

The InterContinental on Moorea, French Polynesia, has now closed permanently due to the Covid crisis. This hotel has the same ownership as the Brando - Pacific Beachcomber Resorts. There is also a question mark over the Meridien on Bora Bora - local news reports talk of permanent closure, some others claim a 2-3 year renovation programme.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: OWE, *G
Now that several major hubs such as Singapore and Hong Kong is opening for transit, summer travel looks more promising. Still dont know if DXB is open for transit, but given their July scheduele, it would suggest that its coming soon. Now if only Maldives would give a definitive answer in regards to their border openings on July 1st...
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:22 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Now that several major hubs such as Singapore and Hong Kong is opening for transit, summer travel looks more promising. Still don’t know if DXB is open for transit, but given their July scheduele, it would suggest that it’s coming soon. Now if only Maldives would give a definitive answer in regards to their border openings on July 1st...
I think the odds of Maldives open in July is very high at this point and they aren't being definitive yet as they are still trying to sort out the procedures/requirements.
So far, 14 days min stay (not sure if it has to be at one or can be across multiple resorts), testing results submitted prior to and retest upon arrival again are some big challenges for most people to deal with/accept. I was planning to make it there but starting to feel that it's just too much hassle and might stick with something easier.
I had flights booked via DOH on Qatar. QSuites seems like a great way to social distance for any business product. Of course if you're going via DXB, then EK's new suites on the 777 is by far the best product to get to MLE

Nonetheless, let's see how it goes. I'm hearing they will announce something by end of week. Fingers crossed for favorable outcome.
Andrew35K likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I think the odds of Maldives open in July is very high at this point and they aren't being definitive yet as they are still trying to sort out the procedures/requirements.
So far, 14 days min stay (not sure if it has to be at one or can be across multiple resorts), testing results submitted prior to and retest upon arrival again are some big challenges for most people to deal with/accept. I was planning to make it there but starting to feel that it's just too much hassle and might stick with something easier.
I had flights booked via DOH on Qatar. QSuites seems like a great way to social distance for any business product. Of course if you're going via DXB, then EK's new suites on the 777 is by far the best product to get to MLE

Nonetheless, let's see how it goes. I'm hearing they will announce something by end of week. Fingers crossed for favorable outcome.
Good if they let us know about the procedures by the end of next week. I was reading about this in The Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...e-coronavirus/
However, if what was said in the comments is true - then its great news. In the comments, a Thomas Chambers writes: "This 'news' has been lifted from a draft guideline that was sent out for comment to partners and stakeholders in the Maldivian tourism industry. The feedback from all parties was similar to the Telegraph's; that many of the ideas were unworkable. Namely paying for a visa/test on arrival, quarantining in your room, arriving with an antibody test and staying for a minimum of 14 nights. They have, therefore, been omitted from the actual guidelines. As a result, sensible policies remain to safeguard guests, without causing them extra stress or costing more money. As a multi-island nation, Maldives is naturally equipped to deal with such a pandemic."

Agree that QSuites is probably one of the best ways, though it seems the July schedule has an A320(!) flying there, once daily. Thankfully, Emirates still has an 77W scheduled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.