Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 11:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
I'm keeping my eye out for cancellations/deals in some of the high end properties in the summer/early fall if the border doesn't reopen. I'm not sure if many will just close altogether like Sonora did our if they have enough domestic clientele to keep going
Hopefully you will get some amazing opportunities. I just got a note from Nimmo Bay today which was sad on the whole. They are deep cleaning the property to put it in hibernation. The note concluded "While it is still unknown, we remain hopeful that Nimmo Bay will be able to wake up from hibernation in time to operate for a portion of the 2020 season. "

Is there any statement yet for the Canadian wilderness lodges that says something like: "We don't know when you can open, but it surely won't be in June. or July." Is there any information at all?
Old May 8, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hopefully you will get some amazing opportunities. I just got a note from Nimmo Bay today which was sad on the whole. They are deep cleaning the property to put it in hibernation. The note concluded "While it is still unknown, we remain hopeful that Nimmo Bay will be able to wake up from hibernation in time to operate for a portion of the 2020 season. "

Is there any statement yet for the Canadian wilderness lodges that says something like: "We don't know when you can open, but it surely won't be in June. or July." Is there any information at all?
Couple days ago BC premier held a press conference, hotels/resorts were in phase 3 anticipating opening in June. The big issue will be the borders as a lot of the guests at higher end places will be international. Perhaps they are saying July to either hope US border opens or just condense domestic season to try and salvage profitability.

Now at the same press conference premier put international travel into the same category as concerts/large gatherings, timing TBD when vaccine/herd immunity/treatment arrives. The border is federal jurisdiction not provincial, and i am skeptical that US/Cad border could be closed that long but i don't think anyone really knows.

here's the link https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/bc-restart-plan

Update: Wage subsity program expanded past June, i would think this would be helpful for lodges running at half capacity to at least stay open

Last edited by tdiddy23; May 8, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
While our beer is clearly inferior, i think i'd give us a slight edge in the outdoors...

I'm keeping my eye out for cancellations/deals in some of the high end properties in the summer/early fall if the border doesn't reopen. I'm not sure if many will just close altogether like Sonora did our if they have enough domestic clientele to keep going
Me too. Unfortunately as you note, rates remain very high. Fogo Island Inn (which I would love to return to) is still in the $2500/nt range. I always thought they got that largely on the back of East Coast Americans (NY/NJ/MA) spending American dollars. I am hoping for a drastic reduction for a late summer or fall stay if the border with USA remains closed.

Likewise, Jasper Park Lodge (which I generally loathe but could be convinced to go to at the right rate) still has sky high rates based on Asian (Japanese and Chinese) tourism. I don't think they can achieve much occupancy at those prices with just the Canadian/Western Canadian domestic market.

Fortunately I can just wait and see what comes up. Other good hotels (verging on this forum's definition of luxury) like the Post Hotel in Lake Louise and the Wickinninish Inn can't even provide an opening date. So who really knows.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:45 pm

Rather than gradually opening up, the UK seems to be gradually shutting up. British press today are reporting an indefinite 14-day quarantine on all air arrivals will shortly be imposed. The only exceptions are UK, French and Irish citizens. About a month too late if you ask me.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...or-uk-arrivals

The latest update is that the UK government says the entire summer holiday season and all international travel is - for all intents and purposes - cancelled.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 12, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old May 14, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The Future of Travel — NYT 5 May 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...pgtype=Article
Old May 14, 2020, 4:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

5 Couples ( all friends) have been planning a trip to Crete in April 2021. It will be my 10th time back to the island in the last 20 years and many of our friends have never been....looking to me to "lead". We have, until just a about a week ago, all planned to still go thinking covid -19 will be well under hand by then.

The past week our moods have soured and the trip is in doubt.. Even if Greece opens up to Americans ( there is talk about it not this year) we are not in the frame of mind to travel with a constant threat and preoccupation of getting coronavirus. None of us want to wear a facemask for a 14 hour flight, and Greece, which is so rich in both history and the people interaction that would be compromised by waiters in the tavernas and hotel staff wearing face masks and gloves. We will have experienced enough of that where we live in our daily lives...that we don't need to travel across the world to be constantly reminded of changing times. Perhaps one day..... but in our 70's now..... trips like this may be over.
Pausanias likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:33 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I just booked Fiji for late September. Hopeful that the Australian proposed 'Trans-Tasman & Pacific Island Travel Bubble' comes to fruition. So far have Six Senses locked in, but hoping to get to Kokomo and Vatuvara looks very interesting. Fingers crossed!
Old May 15, 2020, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by david55
Even if Greece opens up to Americans ( there is talk about it not this year) we are not in the frame of mind to travel with a constant threat and preoccupation of getting coronavirus.
Where are you seeing that about this year? Everything I've read in the past two weeks suggests Greece is planning to open up to international tourists at some point in July, though they may do so gradually, with Americans coming a few weeks later and perhaps only following a negative COVID-19 test or positive antibody test before traveling. (I've seen reports of American travelers being able to avoid the mandatory quarantine in Greece by connecting elsewhere in Europe, like Zurich or Frankfurt, and testing negative there, before traveling into Greece without issues.)

We have a Greece trip booked for the fall and are currently wrestling with the same decision, though we're 95% likely to cancel at this point (with a 5% allowance for potential vaccine by then). My gut reaction to your situation is that, by April 2021, the things you cite (like waiters with facemasks) will not be factors in your trip, particularly on Crete, but I suppose we're all just guessing here!
Old May 15, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
trip to Crete in April 2021
It´s nearly 1 year. It´s so hard to predict how the situation will be. We can´t do anything else than waiting. Perhaps in 2021 a waiter with a masks looks relaxed
Old May 15, 2020, 8:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
It´s nearly 1 year. It´s so hard to predict how the situation will be. We can´t do anything else than waiting. Perhaps in 2021 a waiter with a masks looks relaxed
You are absolutely right... it is a year away and so much can change. I don't like traveling.... I like being there. So the unknowns and lack of control travel presents have me more doubtful than excited. Especially now. But that is just my neurosis.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

You are absolutely right... it is a year away and so much can change. I don't like traveling.... I like being there. So the unknowns and lack of control travel presents have me more doubtful than excited. Especially now. But that is just my neurosis.
Take a break from the endless stream of COVID-19 reports and anxieties. Focus on something else but travel. Check back in October-November of this year and see how things stand.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
One point to consider for Greece is that they have enacted a law allowing travel suppliers to retain refundable deposits for up to 18 months from the date of travel, despite what was agreed to at time of booking.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I am still planning to spend July and Aug in Europe. We'll see how things go when the EU re-evaluates opening external borders on June 15. I've given up hope of anything being possible in June.
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Me too. Unfortunately as you note, rates remain very high. Fogo Island Inn (which I would love to return to) is still in the $2500/nt range. I always thought they got that largely on the back of East Coast Americans (NY/NJ/MA) spending American dollars. I am hoping for a drastic reduction for a late summer or fall stay if the border with USA remains closed.

Likewise, Jasper Park Lodge (which I generally loathe but could be convinced to go to at the right rate) still has sky high rates based on Asian (Japanese and Chinese) tourism. I don't think they can achieve much occupancy at those prices with just the Canadian/Western Canadian domestic market.

Fortunately I can just wait and see what comes up. Other good hotels (verging on this forum's definition of luxury) like the Post Hotel in Lake Louise and the Wickinninish Inn can't even provide an opening date. So who really knows.
Wick Inn is reopening early June. Beyond any discussed public health policy they will be reopening to Vancouver Island residents only. I guess its a new breed of 'luxury NIMBYism'; they will not be seeing any $ from me again (place is in need of a refurb anyway)
Old May 17, 2020, 12:29 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
This is a good article about the various contries in Europe and projections for summer travel. Thank you, Forbes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#d755f41369e7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.