FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   How Have Your Plans Changed Due to Health Crisis? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2012997-how-have-your-plans-changed-due-health-crisis.html)

obscure2k Mar 14, 2020 11:41 pm

How Have Your Plans Changed Due to Health Crisis?

We have an ongoing thread dedicated to "Where are you going next?" I am curious as to how your plans have changed, in light of the current crisis.

RichardInSF Mar 15, 2020 12:12 am

I was booked to go SFO-HKG-TYO-SFO starting April 9. I've already revised the ticket to SFO-TYO-SFO starting April 12, and almost certainly will cancel that as well.

More worrisome is the possibility that the three trips I've booked for May/June will be affected. One of those trips includes attending the final days of the French Open tennis tournament and there is still the possibility the event could be canceled too.

Edited to add: French open now moved to start on September 20. Will need to change all travel arrangements. So already a May/June trip is affected. BA is allowing moving funds to a travel voucher but will not cover differences in fare and fares on BA are currently much higher in September.

Aventine Mar 15, 2020 12:26 am

Pretty much stuck in South Korea since most countries have entry bans on my partner. Not interested in spending 2 weeks in makeshift quarantines either (abroad).

FlyerEC Mar 15, 2020 2:28 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 32186981)
We have an ongoing thread dedicated to "Where are you going next?" I am curious as to how your plans have changed, in light of the current crisis.

Mine are evolving & likely up in the air as more border closures / restrictions after my “ Where are you going next ? “ Post # 4018

Hoping NZ will be back to normal by the time we hope to visit since we had to cancel April / May Caucasus trip :( via AMANZoe & MO Munich ( flights cancelled too !! ) :(

Baghoarder Mar 15, 2020 2:40 am

I’ve changed destinations for my next personal trip as the spread of the virus has accelerated over past weeks; but with the latest travel restrictions in Australia announced today (all persons entering Australia are required to undergo a 14 day isolation period), it’s clear that overseas travel is simply not practicable at this time. So we’ll be spending our time exploring holiday destinations here on home soil. Maybe.

BENLEE Mar 15, 2020 3:41 am

I am cancelling all but the most essential travel for now. Just not seems to be a good time to travel with the uncertainty and potential disruption due to the fluid situation.

Pierre&Cédric Mar 15, 2020 3:54 am

I cancelled everything except family time in France, hopefully domestic flights will not be affected.
i still hold a reservation for Shanghai end of May, I will wait and see what happens over the next month.
Regarding summer vacation I am thinking about Turkey in August, but I prefer to wait before booking.
Since yesterday 12am all restaurants & bars are closed, including hotel restaurants. The coming weeks will be very quiet...

HKTraveler Mar 15, 2020 4:00 am

Don't see myself traveling for some time. Situation just too fluid and too much risks involved

Davvidd Mar 15, 2020 9:02 am

I have bought tickets to BKK and Maldives in end of May and return in June. It's on BR so holding on at the moment as don't know what the situation is going to be in two months time. If it doesn't get better I will reschedule to December if possible and if not ask for a refund. I have hotel bookings in BKK too and two AirAsia flights too.
I don't see any refund from them for that period right now unfortunately.

Sheikh Yerbooty Mar 15, 2020 9:40 am

Company has banned all travel, and the Government has told us to stay at home. Have therefore simply cancelled all plans. Besides, #stayathome (i.e. social distancing) is the wisest thing we can all do right now, and that effectively rules out travelling.

richarddd Mar 15, 2020 11:25 am

We just cancelled a trip to Europe next week, after the things we intended to visit shut down and the airlines cancelled our flights. We were going to book trips every couple of months, but are waiting to see what happens. I'm sad not to be able to travel, but that pales next to the health and economic costs of this situation.

mtofell Mar 15, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm supposed to be flying PDX-OGG in 2 weeks on HA and am not sure what I'm going to do. It doesn't sound like the airline will talk to me until T-72 hours anyway so I'm kind of just waiting to see how things develop. I understand being cautious but something in my gut tells me the reaction to all of this is a bit out of proportion but we'll see. Between the partisan flame throwing and media outlets yearning for ratings it's hard to get any real idea as to what is going on. Getting back to the question at hand, I certainly won't be traveling out of the country anytime soon and if not for already having reservations I doubt I'd be setting up any new travel.

GetSetJetSet Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Cancelled:
1. Paris/St. Moritz
2. Hockey in The Hague
3. Nashville
4. Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta, Borobodur, Kuala Lumpur)
5. Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka) & Hong Kong
6. Guangzhou

Next Up (Will be cancelled pending continued interruption):
7. Paris Again
8. Buenos Aires/Bogota
9. Summer

LinLant Mar 16, 2020 8:10 am

Cancelled joining my husband on a trip in February to our favorite Bonefish Lodge in Abaco, Bahamas.. He wisely cancelled second trip in April. Looks like we will be pretending our house is a luxury lodge while he fishes locally.

erik123 Mar 16, 2020 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 32189693)
I understand being cautious but something in my gut tells me the reaction to all of this is a bit out of proportion but we'll see.

I'd listen to the scientists and not your gut. Don't travel and practice social distancing to the maximum extent possible.