Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Old Jul 24, 20, 6:44 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
Off the top of my head, I believe some of the best properties are in the 30 - 60 days range for 70% but each property is different, of course.
those are pretty amazing if you can stay that long!
britinva79 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 6:47 pm
  #77  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by britinva79 View Post
those are pretty amazing if you can stay that long!
It is and for the right people, it's very easy to stay at one property for a month. I stayed at Rosewood Hong Kong for nearly all of December and went by in a blink and could have stayed another 5 months.

I had clients self-quarantine at the Four Season Surfclub for 3.5 months. So for us hotel junkies, it's a dream

But I can easily see others going mad as well.
Isochronous likes this.
BESVISOR is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:03 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
It is and for the right people, it's very easy to stay at one property for a month. I stayed at Rosewood Hong Kong for nearly all of December and went by in a blink and could have stayed another 5 months.

I had clients self-quarantine at the Four Season Surfclub for 3.5 months. So for us hotel junkies, it's a dream

But I can easily see others going mad as well.
Throw in childcare for a 18 month old and Im in! Looking fwd to a week at Eden Roc Cap Cana in November. They had some good rates when we booked.
BESVISOR likes this.
britinva79 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:13 pm
  #79  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by britinva79 View Post
Throw in childcare for a 18 month old and I’m in! Looking fwd to a week at Eden Roc Cap Cana in November. They had some good rates when we booked.
Just returned from the D.R. (Amanera) last week. Very easy at the airport (but did have fast track service both ways) but without it still seemed quick and hassle free. We had an amazing time!
Great to hear and wish you guys a great trip in Nov!
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 25, 20 at 8:05 am
BESVISOR is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 8:10 pm
  #80  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,272
I’ve read in the press that some Caribbean islands aren’t welcoming U.S. guests. Even New York State isn’t welcoming guests from most states. It’s a fine howdy-doo.
BESVISOR likes this.
KatW is online now  
Old Aug 2, 20, 9:17 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,281
If I could get the Rosewood HK at 70% off standard rate I'd live there!
Isochronous is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:34 am
  #82  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,476
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I’ve read in the press that some Caribbean islands aren’t welcoming U.S. guests. Even New York State isn’t welcoming guests from most states. It’s a fine howdy-doo.
Add Chicago/Illinois to the list, and don't forget the restrictions for Alaska and Hawaii.

I've been wondering how the decision to do deep discounts versus closing temporarily depends on whether it's a property that closes annually during low season. In seasonal places, properties need the revenue and employees need the jobs even more, but management is accustomed to shutting down for a part of every year, so they have systems/processes in place to do this easily.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:55 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta and the Big Island, Hawaii
Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Posts: 751
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Add Chicago/Illinois to the list, and don't forget the restrictions for Alaska and Hawaii.

I've been wondering how the decision to do deep discounts versus closing temporarily depends on whether it's a property that closes annually during low season. In seasonal places, properties need the revenue and employees need the jobs even more, but management is accustomed to shutting down for a part of every year, so they have systems/processes in place to do this easily.
Thats a great insight.

I have not seen significant discounting and do not think we will until the gifts from the Fed end. The hotels have little incentive to discount when the employee salaries are being highly subsidized, and many employees are reluctant or unwilling to work in high risk positions.

It does seem like newly open or rebranded hotels are continuing to offer the often new hotel rates at introductory offers, but nothing extraordinary. The Mandarin Oriental Lake Como was good value at approximately 600 euro a night, and we have had success getting upgrades with rack rates at Four Seasons Florence, Milan, and Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat.

I keep hoping for lower rates though. FS Hualalai and Maui have higher rates than ever for example, and they are booking up.

One significant exception I found recently, the Four Seasons Surfside has been offering sub $400 rates for their lowest category rooms. Ive never seen this, even during summer time.
Goodmorning2U is offline  
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:25 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 25
Four Seasons HK and MO HK have launched a price war with around 250 USD price that includes breakfast and three-course in-room dinner for two
just2010just is offline  
Old Aug 6, 20, 5:17 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,281
Originally Posted by just2010just View Post
Four Seasons HK and MO HK have launched a price war with around 250 USD price that includes breakfast and three-course in-room dinner for two
What channels is that rate available through?
Isochronous is offline  
Old Aug 6, 20, 8:50 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Isochronous View Post
What channels is that rate available through?
The hotel official e-shops
just2010just is offline  
Old Aug 6, 20, 11:45 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by just2010just View Post
Four Seasons HK and MO HK have launched a price war with around 250 USD price that includes breakfast and three-course in-room dinner for two
Is this booking directly with the MO? What dates is the offer valid for?
Radiation Station is online now  
Old Aug 6, 20, 9:00 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Is this booking directly with the MO? What dates is the offer valid for?
You need to purchase the stay voucher from their official e-shop and make reservation directly with MO. It is valid till the end of this month (stay period).
just2010just is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: