Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Off the top of my head, I believe some of the best properties are in the 30 - 60 days range for 70% but each property is different, of course.
those are pretty amazing if you can stay that long!
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:47 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by britinva79
those are pretty amazing if you can stay that long!
It is and for the right people, it's very easy to stay at one property for a month. I stayed at Rosewood Hong Kong for nearly all of December and went by in a blink and could have stayed another 5 months.

I had clients self-quarantine at the Four Season Surfclub for 3.5 months. So for us hotel junkies, it's a dream

But I can easily see others going mad as well.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
It is and for the right people, it's very easy to stay at one property for a month. I stayed at Rosewood Hong Kong for nearly all of December and went by in a blink and could have stayed another 5 months.

I had clients self-quarantine at the Four Season Surfclub for 3.5 months. So for us hotel junkies, it's a dream

But I can easily see others going mad as well.
Throw in childcare for a 18 month old and I’m in! Looking fwd to a week at Eden Roc Cap Cana in November. They had some good rates when we booked.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:13 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by britinva79
Throw in childcare for a 18 month old and I’m in! Looking fwd to a week at Eden Roc Cap Cana in November. They had some good rates when we booked.
Just returned from the D.R. (Amanera) last week. Very easy at the airport (but did have fast track service both ways) but without it still seemed quick and hassle free. We had an amazing time!
Great to hear and wish you guys a great trip in Nov!
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 25, 2020 at 7:05 am
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:10 pm
Original Member

I’ve read in the press that some Caribbean islands aren’t welcoming U.S. guests. Even New York State isn’t welcoming guests from most states. It’s a fine howdy-doo.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
If I could get the Rosewood HK at 70% off standard rate I'd live there!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KatW
I’ve read in the press that some Caribbean islands aren’t welcoming U.S. guests. Even New York State isn’t welcoming guests from most states. It’s a fine howdy-doo.
Add Chicago/Illinois to the list, and don't forget the restrictions for Alaska and Hawaii.

I've been wondering how the decision to do deep discounts versus closing temporarily depends on whether it's a property that closes annually during low season. In seasonal places, properties need the revenue and employees need the jobs even more, but management is accustomed to shutting down for a part of every year, so they have systems/processes in place to do this easily.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Add Chicago/Illinois to the list, and don't forget the restrictions for Alaska and Hawaii.

I've been wondering how the decision to do deep discounts versus closing temporarily depends on whether it's a property that closes annually during low season. In seasonal places, properties need the revenue and employees need the jobs even more, but management is accustomed to shutting down for a part of every year, so they have systems/processes in place to do this easily.
Thats a great insight.

I have not seen significant discounting and do not think we will until the gifts from the Fed end. The hotels have little incentive to discount when the employee salaries are being highly subsidized, and many employees are reluctant or unwilling to work in high risk positions.

It does seem like newly open or rebranded hotels are continuing to offer the often “new” hotel rates at introductory offers, but nothing extraordinary. The Mandarin Oriental Lake Como was good value at approximately 600 euro a night, and we have had success getting upgrades with rack rates at Four Seasons Florence, Milan, and Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat.

I keep hoping for lower rates though. FS Hualalai and Maui have higher rates than ever for example, and they are booking up.

One significant exception I found recently, the Four Seasons Surfside has been offering sub $400 rates for their lowest category rooms. I’ve never seen this, even during summer time.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:25 pm

Four Seasons HK and MO HK have launched a price war with around 250 USD price that includes breakfast and three-course in-room dinner for two
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by just2010just
Four Seasons HK and MO HK have launched a price war with around 250 USD price that includes breakfast and three-course in-room dinner for two
What channels is that rate available through?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
What channels is that rate available through?
The hotel official e-shops
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by just2010just
Is this booking directly with the MO? What dates is the offer valid for?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Is this booking directly with the MO? What dates is the offer valid for?
You need to purchase the stay voucher from their official e-shop and make reservation directly with MO. It is valid till the end of this month (stay period).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.