Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Need inspiration for late july

Old Mar 2, 20, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat

So I've had this trip booked since many months going to Singapore and then possibly the Datai, travelling the 20th of July and staying 2 weeks. Now my girlfriend refuses travelling east since the corona virus outbreak.

So the question is, where the hell should we go? Trying to stay below 1300USD / night, and I've been looking at the Seychelles, and lately going to the US - Chicago or Miami, and then taking a flight to somewhere in the Carribean.

To me F&B, hardware, beach, snorkelling comes out on top. We're in our 30s, and easy to please service wise.
Old Mar 2, 20, 3:48 am

I would not book anything anywhere at the moment. Travel disruption is a near certainty. Tropical island nations are very nervous right now - most of the Pacific islands and some Caribbean islands have closed their ports to cruise ships even though those ships have not been near the Far East for many weeks. Some island groups are also insisting on quarantine for anyone arriving - by ship or by plane - from an infected country. I would not be surprised to see The Seychelles go down this precautionary route as well. You would not want to book a fancy resort in the Seychelles only to end up in a government facility for two weeks, would you?
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:24 am

Programs: Many
Agree. Impossible to predict the spread. I wouldn't book anything non-refundable, or really anything at all at this point.
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Thank you both! We'll have to wait and see!
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I would ignore Chicago and Miami in July. Brutal humidity and a lot of rain. At least in Miami you get the beach.
We did the Seychelles in July a few years ago and it was great. The hotels should be refundable for a period of time and if you can book flights using miles then the cancellation penalties are relatively modest. I would look into that if I were you.
KatW likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:17 pm

It is hurricane season by then in Caribbean.....but it will not be cold/ flu season any longer in the Northern hemisphere. Book whatever appeals, if there’s a travel ban, you will get a refund.
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Lambi View Post
So I've had this trip booked since many months going to Singapore and then possibly the Datai, travelling the 20th of July and staying 2 weeks. Now my girlfriend refuses travelling east since the corona virus outbreak.

So the question is, where the hell should we go? Trying to stay below 1300USD / night, and I've been looking at the Seychelles, and lately going to the US - Chicago or Miami, and then taking a flight to somewhere in the Carribean.

To me F&B, hardware, beach, snorkelling comes out on top. We're in our 30s, and easy to please service wise.
Pity about your girlfriend not wanting to fly to Singapore & try Datai , if any AMANs in Bali or Puri / Trisara , will not miss .. But of course , very much depends on airlines - which one you fly . Dynamic situation with borders too .
We are still planning on Phuket in May . Amanpuri

Before our Baltic cruise June / July

And AmanZoe in April !! Keeping fingers crossed for this one ..
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Mexico:

La Casa que Canta, Zihuatanejo
https://www.lacasaquecanta.com/en/m_...ejo-mexico.php

Las Alamandas, two-hour drive south of Puerto Vallarta on the Costalegre
Las Alamandas Boutique Hotel Luxury Boutique Hotel Las Alamandas

Las Ventanas al Paraiso
https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/las-ventanas-los-cabos

There’s a selection of luxe properties near Cancun and a bit north of Puerto Vallarta.

There’s a Four Seasons on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:54 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Blue; BW Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
...You would not want to book a fancy resort in the Seychelles only to end up in a government facility for two weeks, would you?
Travis AFB would be a wonderful two-week addition to any foreign trip. Nice cool evening delta breezes during the California valley heat of July.

Yes, refundable all the way. Disruptions may slow in summer.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:08 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'm just advising people to book refundable and flexible fares and then we'll monitor. I'm in India in April, Bali June, Bali/Paris/Italy July, Paris/Tel Aviv October, Austria December. I don't plan on changing any plans unless a government refuses me entry.

Agree on Seychelles in July. Possibly French Polynesia or Fiji?
Old Mar 4, 20, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by smf_ltn View Post
Travis AFB would be a wonderful two-week addition to any foreign trip.
Diego Garcia might be even better. Think Maldives without the hotels.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: