Wiki Posts
Search

MALIBU BEACH INN--any feedback welcome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

MALIBU BEACH INN--any feedback welcome

Looking for a weekend getaway not far from home and on the beach. Malibu Beach Inn looks beautiful and has direct ocean views. I don't know anyone who has stayed there. Would appreciate any information & recommendations re: this hotel. Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:52 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
A colleague has been and suggests the restaurant is lovely and the Jr Suite is the room type to book. As Canadians we strive for value with the FX rate so she said you really do pay a premium in Malibu vs some of the other traditional California spots.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:35 pm

Haven't stayed there but spent a day. Beautiful property directly on the beach. I guess a meal at Nobu comes without saying. Look into the new Rosewood as an alternative.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't think you need to eat at Nobu at all. The restaurant is so busy that with the same menu as every other nobu in the world the food is worse and the service is terrible. Last time I was there the waiter spilled sake on me and blamed me.
I would recommend taberna Tony's over Nobu anynight.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I just spent 2 nights at this hotel, booked through BESVISOR. I was granted a one category upgrade, and received a top floor unit. I have nothing but great things to say. Did room service breakfast both mornings, and it was fast and delicious. You stay here for the views, not the luxury. Sunrises from bed, sunsets from the balcony. Our bathroom was tiny, but it had a japanese style toilet, so that automatically wins me over. Private beach access, a great restaurant, and every staff member we encountered was absolutely lovely. Keep in mind, this is still a motel style hotel that has been renovated. Don't go in expecting an Aman hard product.

You can walk to Nobu, walk to Malibu Farm, the pier, and along the beach.

We had an absolutely lovely late lunch at Nobu, catching a stunning sunset.

We had an issue with them getting the F+B Virtuoso credit correct on the bill, but it was all sorted out at checkout.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:24 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Would love to hear more feedback about this! Looks curiously interesting.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Feb 8, 2020 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Travel Leaders Group, Preferred Partner of FS, RC, MO, Rosewood, Belmond, Pen, SLH, etc.
I've heard great reviews of the Malibu Beach Inn. The property also has good Virtuoso benefits. It's probably between this or the (much more expensive) Nobu Ryokan for the best hotel in Malibu.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Malibu Beach Inn exceeded my expectations. It was sheer perfection. So nice to drive 40 minutes and step in to a different world. The hotel is luxury Beach. It has every amenity one could ask for. Our reservation was booked via a Virtuoso agent and we received very generous credits toward breakfast and dining or spa.
Service was impeccable. Our room was a Junior Suite on the 1st floor, which we loved, as we felt as if we were part of the sand and sea. The only sounds we heard, were the sounds of the surf. No noise from other rooms or the restaurant. The bedroom is rather small, but so well-designed that it does not feel cramped. The bathroom is beautifully designed with a large user-friendly, walk-in shower and the Toto Toilet was also nice. Our living room was filled with lovely ojects'd'art, books, magazines, binoculars and attractive bar area. We loved the double balcony, which was accessible from the living room and the bedroom. The chaise lounges had attached shade. Very nice. This is not a glitzy hotel. It is understated in its elegance. One can see how fine the wood is, how luxurious the bed linens are, how happy we were to see the gentleman show up each night asking us if we wished turn down service and giving us boxes of chocolates and several bottles of water.
Awaiting us when we arrived was a bottle of a good Cabarnet and a plate of macarons. There were fine little touches, such as an exquisite backgammon set, under one nightstand. In the closet, we found a denim bag which was to be used to carry your personal items to the beach, although, it would be a cute handbag, The soap dishes were by Alessi, and I quickly ordered 2 when I got home. Towels were plentiful. Housekeeping did an outstanding job.
We never left the hotel. Breakfast was delicious and served elegantly . Lunch and dinner on the outdoor patio was as gratifying as the Eden Roc at Hotel du Cap. The cocktails were also outstanding and generous. Of note, is the wide selection of creative, non-alcoholic beverages. As part of our sybaritic weekend, we enjoyed a 1 hour couples massage. Service in every area was at the highest possible level. We now view Malibu Beach Inn as an alternative to Hawaii.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Select, Travel Leaders
Love this Property!

Malibu Beach Inn has gone through a big renovation and looks amazing! I love the beach-chic look in the rooms, but the very best thing about staying there- a must do - is grabbing a bite at the restaurant so you can eat (or just grab a cappuccino even) and sit right over the water with the waves coming all the way up to the shore! It feels like you’re practically in the water. Enjoy!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Received following email today from Malibu Beach Inn: In addition to all of the info re: Sanitzers and cleaning, I thought the following info was worth sharing. We would return in a heartbeat

"We are updating our cancellation policy to offer our customers the most flexibility during these challenging times. Guests who need to cancel their reservation may do so without penalty with 24 hours notice.

No Penalty for Early Departures
Once here, should a guest decide to depart early due to illness or concern, they will be allowed to do so without penalty.

You can now book your stay with the reassurance that it is fully refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival. Reservations may be made online at malibubeachinn.com, by contacting our reservations team at 310-651-7777, or through your trusted travel advisor.

CBC Restaurant (Carbon Beach Club) Providing Take-Away Daily (11AM – 9PM), and 24-Hour Room Service Available
Following the guidelines set forth by the CDC and Los Angeles County, the restaurant is closed at this time to both the general public and our in-house guests. For outside guests, there is a take-away option available daily, and for our in-house guests, an expanded in-room dining menu (with discounted pricing) is available 24 hours.

We assure you we're working diligently to maintain a safe environment in our facility, and we have implemented several new policies that follow recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We will continue to monitor the latest developments tied to the virus issued by federal, state, and local health officials.

We are thinking about everyone in our local and global communities and will certainly do everything we can do to provide warmth, comfort and above all, hospitality. Our doors are open and we have a top-notch team on hand to ensure your experience is commensurate with the reputation of Malibu Beach Inn and that of the Leading Hotels of the World. We hope to see you soon.

Sincerely,

Gregory Day
General Manager
[email protected] / @gday_la
Food and drinks
Carbon Beach Club Curbside Pickup
In compliance with CDC and Los Angeles County guidelines, Carbon Beach Club Restaurant will be closing its dining area to hotel guests and the public until further notice. We will be offering items for curbside pickup at our porte-cochère from a new select menu, and room service will continue to be available to hotel guests 24 hours per day.
Guestroom Interior
Complimentary In-Room Movies
During these uncertain times, we hope to keep you entertained as best we can. Enjoy complimentary movies for the duration of your
KatW likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:38 am
Original Member

I wish more domestic upscale venues would provide similar info.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:36 pm

When Geffen reopened it in 2005 (?) the rule was that only guests could eat there. It was something Malibu insisted on, but it was a soft rule and it soon disappeared completely.

It became my regular place to take my laptop and spend the morning. I live in West Hollywood, I'd drive there early on weekdays when they never had more than 2 or 3 brkfst guests, drop my stuff at a table, order coffee, sip some, then jump in the water to swim for about an hour, dry off, put my shirt on, order breakfast in courses read the New York Times and work on my laptop (maybe it was earlier than 2005 because I remember Wifi was something you sought out) until the lunch crowd came. It was wonderful.

One year around that time my partner and I were unable to go home for Christmas. We booked a room at MBI on Christmas Eve. Before we checked in we drove up to Ojai for massages, then drove down the coast to MBI. Christmas Eve Dinner was delicious, sleeping in the room with the sliding doors open was wonderful. In the morning the tide was up to the hotel stairs, so I ran down and did a swim, which of course was freazing (SoCal water is only warm for about one or two months a year).

It seemed to me that in the Geffen years the young male waiters and hotel staff were smoking hot. Coincidence? :-)

Since David Geffen sold the place, I've only been back for a few lunches and Dinners and all have been wonderful. Although, I do miss the small fire pit on the deck.

For the last 15 years I always take friends and family visiting LA to the MBI instead of Nobu; it's a better vibe, to us anyway.

It's a great experience, and if you want some city life it's a short drive to Santa Monica. Enjoy your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.