Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Lights Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Northern Lights Canada?

I'm looking at trying to get a long weekend trip up in September to see the Northern lights and experience the scenery as well. There are a couple of parameters that are at play: 1. we've only got a brief time, most likely a long weekend of 3-4 nights 2. It looks like Labor Day weekend is our best bet for everyone to be able to get away and 3. We'd prefer to be at a location where they can be seen near our lodging without lengthy tours required.

Because of this, I'm thinking that one of the places nearest Yellowknife in Canada is our best option. We'd prefer the most luxurious or (because I realize luxury isn't likely to be possible) at least most service-minded place. We could try to make it out to Iceland if that is a better option, but because of the short trip, the flights are prohibitive. Though when I started looking at flights, getting to Yellowknife is pretty damn hard from DC, so we could also look at Iceland which might be just as quick once all the stops are taken into consideration.

Anyone done a 3-4 day trip that has worked well and still at least erred on the side of luxury as to the way things are taken care of and handled for you? I'd welcome any thoughts.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:21 pm

I don't think there is anything that will meet your needs in Canada. Typically people talk about Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Churchill for aurora viewing. You would be travelling pretty far for 3-4 days and not much in the luxury department. You could go to northern QC/Labrador or Iqaluit with a connection in Montreal/Ottawa but nothing even close to luxury there from what I know. Or you could head to Jasper where there is better accommodation (still 4 hr drive from Edmonton) and hope that you get lucky as its not as far north.

If you're looking for Canadian luxury + northern lights probably best bet would be Churchill wild in Oct/Nov, that way you'll get polar bears out of it too and have a pretty epic trip to be worth the journey.

There was a planned luxury lodge in Yellowknife, skywatch, but i'm not sure what happened with it.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by tdiddy23; Feb 1, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Here is a link from the FT Canada Forum which may be helpful
Northern Lights in Niagra Falls in Summer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.