Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts thread - 2020

Amanresorts thread - 2020

Old May 10, 20, 10:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Hope to be back in Kila & AMAN Villas in Nusa in August . Monkeys on the Wana tents was quite normal , we were warned . Then you might sight a monitor lizard sharing your pool . All part & parcel of being in the tropics
Old May 10, 20, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Hope to be back in Kila & AMAN Villas in Nusa in August . Monkeys on the Wana tents was quite normal , we were warned . Then you might sight a monitor lizard sharing your pool . All part & parcel of being in the tropics
The Wallace Line (Lord Alfred Russel Wallace) runs between Bali and Lombok and is the dividing line between Asian species and Australasian species. As Amanwana is well east of the Wallace Line there should be no monkeys present. I can't recall any . . .
Old May 10, 20, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
The Wallace Line (Lord Alfred Russel Wallace) runs between Bali and Lombok and is the dividing line between Asian species and Australasian species. As Amanwana is well east of the Wallace Line there should be no monkeys present. I can't recall any . . .
Well , we saw some monkeys . Just relieved that we did not encounter any snakes on land . Only sea snakes away from the property while snorkelling . And FYI , this is on Wana ‘ s website too : ‘ Macaque monkeys and rusa deer make morning appearances outside the large windows of Amanwana’s 12 tented Suites ‘
Old May 10, 20, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I can assure you with 100% confidence that some form of monkey / macaques / chimpanzees / oragutang / whatever are present. We were definitely not chased by a large deer with long arms and sharp teeth screeching "oooooh oooooh ooooh". Final answer.

Deer are present too, btw. But not remotely as threatening.
Old May 11, 20, 2:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We have had the "pleasure" of sharing luxury accommodation with a huge spider in bed and one in the shower behind the soap, several cockroaches (including one in bed), mice, rats, a snake (just outside the villa entrance) plus numerous ants, mosquitos and geckos. The examples are from Four Seasons, Amans and other very high end hotels. If you go to the tropics, they just cannot guarantee that such creatures will not enter. However, management have always reacted very promply to remove unwanted guests and sometimes to compensate us one way or the other. I absolutely hate those kinds of visits, but the thought of staying home is worse, so I will continue to travel.
Pierre&Cédric, Nizar and BESVISOR like this.
Old May 11, 20, 7:18 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Luckily, most of our tropical “visitors” have been pretty cute. The centipede in our room at the Four Seasons Hualalai was very scary. It was also very difficult to kill.
instyleprincess likes this.
Old May 11, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Reminded me the time at Amankila, a spider fell on me when I was in the shower......
Definitely not the travel memory that I was looking for :/
Old May 12, 20, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Musken View Post
We have had the "pleasure" of sharing luxury accommodation with a huge spider in bed and one in the shower behind the soap, several cockroaches (including one in bed), mice, rats, a snake (just outside the villa entrance) plus numerous ants, mosquitos and geckos. The examples are from Four Seasons, Amans and other very high end hotels. If you go to the tropics, they just cannot guarantee that such creatures will not enter. However, management have always reacted very promply to remove unwanted guests and sometimes to compensate us one way or the other. I absolutely hate those kinds of visits, but the thought of staying home is worse, so I will continue to travel.
Our arrival at the FS Chiang Mai was shaky, particularly as it was at the end of a 24 hour jaunt. When the door of our residence was opened, a large snake dropped to the floor and slithered into the TV cabinet. Our room assistant turned green and our children were given fodder
for nightmares for quite a long time. The staff worked hard to corner and remove this visitor, never to see him/her again. As for the other critters mentioned above, we can see them just by living in NY.
Fliar and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by Mickidon; May 12, 20 at 3:56 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 15, 20, 4:52 pm

While I have no problem dealing with animals outside the room, I don’t agree with having to deal with insects or lizards inside your LUXURY hotel room. You are paying for a premium experiencie after all!
All it takes is a daily thorough cleaning and a room structure without gaps on the roof (like Kila).
I’ve been to a couple “tropical/beach” resorts where this was not an issue: FS Bora Bora, Six Senses Zil Pasyon, Amanyara, Lux Maldives (not in the same league)
Old May 16, 20, 1:33 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Carlos Araujo View Post
While I have no problem dealing with animals outside the room, I don’t agree with having to deal with insects or lizards inside your LUXURY hotel room. You are paying for a premium experiencie after all!
All it takes is a daily thorough cleaning and a room structure without gaps on the roof (like Kila).
I’ve been to a couple “tropical/beach” resorts where this was not an issue: FS Bora Bora, Six Senses Zil Pasyon, Amanyara, Lux Maldives (not in the same league)
Insects, lizards and the like cannot read price tags!

I really wish it was possible, but I will call it luck if there are no "non-paying guests" inside. Most of the time, we have been lucky as well, and have had our rooms and villas to ourselves, but it is luck.

Even at home in cold Norway where we have very few insects even outside compared to the tropics, there are sometimes a few finding the way inside.
Old May 16, 20, 2:14 am

Programs: some
I too like natural sounds. Sacha Lodge in Ecuadorian Amazonia last year was fairly noisy
Funny you should mention Sacha Lodge. I was just there in late March - only just managed to get back to NZ in time!
Sacha was great - far from luxury but very nice anyway.
Old May 16, 20, 2:16 am

This is pertinently untrue.

They carefully read the price tags and THEN decide where to camp out for the night. I think they have a kind of Fly-ertalk (get it?) going between them to exchange notes.
Musken likes this.
Old May 16, 20, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
At Amanbagh we had monkeys running into our villa anytime we left the door open to come and take our fruit
A couple of years ago one of them took my camera and would only return it when we plied it with snacks. No kidding.
Ericka likes this.
Old May 16, 20, 2:31 pm

Does it really takes that much effort for the housekeeping team (which cleans the rooms everyday) to check if there are no geckos inside the room? If they do that, and the door/windows are kept closed, there is no way you will meet an unexpected friend while brushing your teeth.
But I digress. If Kila could fix the holes in the roof of the villas I’d be happy enough.
Old May 16, 20, 4:14 pm
Suspended

I’m surprised by the assumptions here about housekeeping and tropical critters that may get into rooms. It happens. And housekeeping teams aren’t there 24/7. Housekeeping might come twice a day, and lots of critters are quite adept at hiding from view.

If we happen to find a critter in our room, we always can notify the property housekeeping or other department to remove it if it’s that disruptive, unnerving, or dangerous.

Some people might need to reset their expectations for what is reasonable for some destinations. No matter how luxurious. If critters can get into millionaire and billionaire homes throughout the world as they can and do, they certainly can get into your hotel room, suite, or villa.
SanDiego1K, Fliar and Musken like this.

Search this Thread