Amanresorts thread - 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts thread - 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:26 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by twentyfourseven
I'm seeing what appear to be very low rates for Kila, Dari and Puri in April, including around Easter. Are these normal? (Eg Kilasari suite at Kila for only just above $1k per night)...? Or is this Coronavirus affected?
No, they've had a promotion for just over half a year now that promoted the pool and specialty suites - pretty good rates. I'm sure the coronavirus is affecting them though on top of this, so the promotion might have been extended to cover key periods like Easter.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:56 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
How do you all see Aman coming out of this mess?

Do you think they will discount to bring occupancy up in the coming months or hold tight on pricing to maintain brand value?

More inclusive rates possible? Meals, excursions, upgrades, 3rd/4th night comp?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I doubt there'd be a rate discount.....just checked Amangiri, looks like they're closed till 2nd week of April, and weekend rates are still $4K
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Aman isn't discounting at all. They are keeping the property in the luxe realm, by hook or by crook.

Hey, if they can afford to do so, I think it's a great idea. Don't dilute the product.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:30 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
+1 on both BenjaminNicholas and instyleprincess 's comments.

A4K It's also worth noting that many Amans already have meals, activities and free nights in their packages. For example:
Amangiri - Already full board
Amanyara and Amanera - Seasons of Discovery is 5th night free + full board
Amanoi, Amankila, Amanjiwo and Amandari - All have a huge variety of package with inclusions

Lastly, from my/TA perspective, I can see that most clients aren't traveling due to bans not fear or lack of desire to travel. Meaning once we're back to normal, the demand for travel will likely be greater than usual not less. Amans having lower inventory than most brands won't have any issues filling up rooms.

I'm heading back to 3 Amans in June and I have a number of Amans to book in the pipeline for clients soon as bans are lifted.

Just my assumptions but I don't think Aman will have any issues after the crisis and I hope they won't be doing anything to dilute the brand.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
+1 on both BenjaminNicholas and instyleprincess 's comments.

A4K It's also worth noting that many Amans already have meals, activities and free nights in their packages. For example:
Amangiri - Already full board
Amanyara and Amanera - Seasons of Discovery is 5th night free + full board
Amanoi, Amankila, Amanjiwo and Amandari - All have a huge variety of package with inclusions

Lastly, from my/TA perspective, I can see that most clients aren't traveling due to bans not fear or lack of desire to travel. Meaning once we're back to normal, the demand for travel will likely be greater than usual not less. Amans having lower inventory than most brands won't have any issues filling up rooms.

I'm heading back to 3 Amans in June and I have a number of Amans to book in the pipeline for clients soon as bans are lifted.

Just my assumptions but I don't think Aman will have any issues after the crisis and I hope they won't be doing anything to dilute the brand.
Because they have done such a good job of keeping out the Instagram crowd so far?

I think it is more likely that they realize that it doesn't matter if you charge $50 a night or $2500, if your clientele is international they can't get there (travel ban, closed borders, airlines not flying, etc.). So we are 100% price insensitive for non-economic reasons.

My guess is that many people aren't going to travel until there is a vaccine. And the traditional demographic of Aman will be very much in that group. We will all just have to wait and see what happens in that period between travel restrictions being lifted and a vaccine being generally available. If there is such a period. Personally I don't have a crystal ball, and there just isn't any historical precedent to judge by. I do hope Aman owners have deep pockets (deeper than Amanruya) because not too many properties can survive 5% occupancy for a year.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:09 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by ridefar
Because they have done such a good job of keeping out the Instagram crowd so far?

I think it is more likely that they realize that it doesn't matter if you charge $50 a night or $2500, if your clientele is international they can't get there (travel ban, closed borders, airlines not flying, etc.). So we are 100% price insensitive for non-economic reasons.

My guess is that many people aren't going to travel until there is a vaccine. And the traditional demographic of Aman will be very much in that group. We will all just have to wait and see what happens in that period between travel restrictions being lifted and a vaccine being generally available. If there is such a period. Personally I don't have a crystal ball, and there just isn't any historical precedent to judge by. I do hope Aman owners have deep pockets (deeper than Amanruya) because not too many properties can survive 5% occupancy for a year.
Understand your point that many legacy Amanjunkies feels the brand has been diluted by the Instagram crowds
I was specifically referring to dilution from price reduction. But you have a fair point. lol.

But playing devils advocate, the cause of that specific dilution also drove crazy demands and occupancy levels at certain locations. Amangiri, Aman Tokyo and Amanyara being tops examples. So while it's a dilution of brand/atmosphere to some (legacy junkies - and I feel the same), you can argue it has increased the brand equity with a new demographic and has likely translated to the bottom line. Which is why they don't mind it.

Agree with you that no one has a crystal ball and I don't know the outcome, at all. I'm just making best guesses based on speaking with dozens of people who are ready to pull the trigger on travels. On today's to do list, booking a client for 9 nights at The Brando in December. So there are definitely a number of people who aren't put off by things. Booking December because that's their closest holiday period after Summer's Europe travels (which is still confirmed/kept for now). They aren't waiting on a vaccine.
I also have clients confirmed on Crystal and Regent cruises for May, June and July at the moment. No one has asked about cancellation. They are all hoping to go. Although I've shared my doubts
A lot of my European and Australian clients have a much higher risk tolerance.

On that note, I do also agree with you that there will surely be those who won't travel again until they know for certain that everything is safe and a vaccine is available.
But with Aman's inventory count, they just need a fraction of the traveling crowd. But as you said, the Amans that aren't doing well pre crisis might get hit way harder than others.

As with all things, lots of different people, circumstances and value.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Mar 25, 2020 at 8:23 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Understand your point that many legacy Amanjunkies feels the brand has been diluted by the Instagram crowds
I was specifically referring to dilution from price reduction. But you have a fair point. lol.

But playing devils advocate, the cause of that specific dilution also drove crazy demands and occupancy levels at certain locations. Amangiri, Aman Tokyo and Amanyara being tops examples. So while it's a dilution of brand/atmosphere to some (legacy junkies - and I feel the same), you can argue it has increased the brand equity with a new demographic and has likely translated to the bottom line. Which is why they don't mind it.

Agree with you that no one has a crystal ball and I don't know the outcome, at all. I'm just making best guesses based on speaking with dozens of people who are ready to pull the trigger on travels. On today's to do list, booking a client for 9 nights at The Brando in December. So there are definitely a number of people who aren't put off by things. Booking December because that's their closest holiday period after Summer's Europe travels (which is still confirmed/kept for now). They aren't waiting on a vaccine.
I also have clients confirmed on Crystal and Regent cruises for May, June and July at the moment. No one has asked about cancellation. They are all hoping to go.
A lot of my European and Australian clients have a much higher risk tolerance.

On that note, I do also agree with you that there will surely be those who won't travel again until they know for certain that everything is safe and a vaccine is available.
But with Aman's inventory count, they just need a fraction of the traveling crowd. But as you said, the Amans that aren't doing well pre crisis might get hit way harder than others.

As with all things, lots of different people, circumstances and value.
One more dynamic to consider: if self-quarantine measures remain in place, and borders open, I think Aman and luxury properties will still suffer. My logic is this: I can go to Amanpulo, and I accept the risk, and I can work remotely upon coming home so my income doesn't suffer. Ms. Ridefar however does not have that luxury. If she has to be in quarantine after travel abroad for 2 weeks, then that 2 week vacation becomes 4 weeks off work with significantly reduced income. It will be *very* tough for us to justify travel abroad under these circumstances.

Having said that, if we make it through this and the risk is minimal, I have already promised we will return to the Maldives next February. We made it home just in time three weeks ago. I would love to celebrate a return to travel with a return to the Maldives. Or The Brando. It tops my list for places I want to go but have not yet been to.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:18 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if some countries require a vaccination (similar to yellow fever) to travel. I don't see this going away any time soon. Surprised people have May bookings still confirmed, particularly for cruise!
Fliar and ridefar like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:20 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by ridefar
One more dynamic to consider: if self-quarantine measures remain in place, and borders open, I think Aman and luxury properties will still suffer. My logic is this: I can go to Amanpulo, and I accept the risk, and I can work remotely upon coming home so my income doesn't suffer. Ms. Ridefar however does not have that luxury. If she has to be in quarantine after travel abroad for 2 weeks, then that 2 week vacation becomes 4 weeks off work with significantly reduced income. It will be *very* tough for us to justify travel abroad under these circumstances.

Having said that, if we make it through this and the risk is minimal, I have already promised we will return to the Maldives next February. We made it home just in time three weeks ago. I would love to celebrate a return to travel with a return to the Maldives. Or The Brando. It tops my list for places I want to go but have not yet been to.
Yeah, a 2 week self-quarantine is definitely a dealbreaker for most.

Loved the Brando but I do hate the logistics of getting there (really meaning the international flights to/from PPT) ... But that's a different thread
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I wouldn't be surprised if some countries require a vaccination (similar to yellow fever) to travel. I don't see this going away any time soon. Surprised people have May bookings still confirmed, particularly for cruise!
Many thousands of people are still stuck on cruise ships with hardly any ports open to them. An interesting situation is on-going at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, a place I know quite well. In fact, I wouldn't mind living there right now. But four small expedition ships are gathered there, virus-free as far as I know, waiting to be airlifted to the UK by the RAF. As someone who nowadays prefers luxury cruises to luxury hotels, I don't see any ships sailing with passengers until at least the end of the year.

People are stuck in places like Cambodia, the Maldives, Pacific Islands and the Seychelles because all international flights are cancelled.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
I'm seeing so much love for Amankila, but after seeing videos I don't get it? Awful with all the oil tankers for a view, not very good beach, pretty bad hard product? What's making up for everything making you rave about it?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Lambi
I'm seeing so much love for Amankila, but after seeing videos I don't get it? Awful with all the oil tankers for a view, not very good beach, pretty bad hard product? What's making up for everything making you rave about it?
When did you last stay ? Sometimes there are no tankers but more ferries these days .
Some Lombok ferries are mandated to be anchored there as a precaution after the devastating earthquakes .

It is a fine black sand beach , just not white .

Hard product is far from bad , maybe not “ techy “ as some would like . Original AMANs tend to be classic

Set back for us are the numerous steps - perhaps natural work out for some - spectacular view stops on way up or down though .
Ernst L & the GMs before him , figured what to do for us & octogenarian seniors travelling with us .. As can be / to be expected from AMANs , especially with the seasoned AMAN GMs ( Can be “ iffy “ with the new outside hires , as long as one is aware as AMANjunkies particularly from the ‘ 80s - ‘ 00s will know .. ) .

Hope things settle and we can be back in August & Puri ( just received email from them ! ) too in May . Disappointed that Zoe stay next month had to be cancelled . Potential Kyoto / Tokyo too for Sakura ..

Keep safe & well hunkering down ( whilst planning for next AMAN stays - in autumn or before ? ) .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 26, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
When did you last stay ? Sometimes there are no tankers but more ferries these days .
Some Lombok ferries are mandated to be anchored there as a precaution after the devastating earthquakes .

It is a fine black sand beach , just not white .

Hard product is far from bad , maybe not “ techy “ as some would like . Original AMANs tend to be classic

Set back for us are the numerous steps - perhaps natural work out for some
Ernst L & the GMs before him , figured what to do for us & octogenarian seniors travelling with us .
As can be / to be expected from AMANs

Hope things settle and we can be back in August & Puri ( just received email from them ! ) too in May . Disappointed that Zoe stay next month had to be cancelled . Potential Kyoto / Tokyo too for Sakura ..

Keep safe & well hunkering down ( whilst planning for next AMAN stays - in autumn or before ? ) .
I haven't been to an Aman yet, but after hearing all the rave reviews I got really curious and started doing a lot of research to see what the hype was about. I'm the kind of guy who almost enjoys the planning and research as much as I enjoy the trip. The only Aman that really, really interests me from a price / performance perspective is Amanpulo, where I'd probably have to take a 1BR villa.

That's why I'm so curious about the hype
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lambi
I haven't been to an Aman yet, but after hearing all the rave reviews I got really curious and started doing a lot of research to see what the hype was about. I'm the kind of guy who almost enjoys the planning and research as much as I enjoy the trip. The only Aman that really, really interests me from a price / performance perspective is Amanpulo, where I'd probably have to take a 1BR villa.

That's why I'm so curious about the hype
There are many here that have stayed at many more Amans than I have. Having said that, I have yet to stay at one I considered to be bad value (sample size of 12 or so different properties). Amanpulo I have been to 5 times. It is simply amazing, and holds a special place in our hearts, for many reasons. Others have simply been brilliant stays (Amankora and Amanbagh come to mind). But even mediocre Amans tend to be a lot better than most other properties. Sure there are a ton of amazing properties, don't get me wrong. But on a bad day the standard at every Aman I have been to is still very high. Some may not measure up to the perfection of years past, but are still special. I wasn't wildly enamoured of 'Kila (heresy to some, like FlyerEC!) but I wasn't wildly enamoured of Bali in general. "Kila itself was pretty special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.