Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for next visit?

Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

We’re planning a summer trip (week, week and a half) in early June, but are not quite sure where we want to go. Ideally we’d go somewhere like Dubai (beach resort + city life), but the weather is way too hot in June. Beach resort is a must. Looking for something within 9-10 hours from AMS. Don’t really care for spas, also don’t have a license so won’t be renting a car. Budget is around 800 a night. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:13 am

Best time of the year for the Caribbean . . . but no cities.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dbndb
Hi all,

We’re planning a summer trip (week, week and a half) in early June, but are not quite sure where we want to go. Ideally we’d go somewhere like Dubai (beach resort + city life), but the weather is way too hot in June. Beach resort is a must. Looking for something within 9-10 hours from AMS. Don’t really care for spas, also don’t have a license so won’t be renting a car. Budget is around 800 a night. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Best time of the year for the Caribbean . . . but no cities.
Puerto Rico has plenty of culture if you're into that aspect of city. But if you're looking for highrises and beaches then Dubai can't go wrong. I personally enjoy HK - stay a few days in the city, rent a place at Repulse Bay or any beachy (outlying island) area for a few more days, and then back in the city before finishing off the vacation.

Last edited by ChateauMargaux; Jan 19, 2020 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
https://www.fourseasons.com/athens/

https://www.fourseasons.com/surfside/
https://www.acqualinaresort.com/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...arbour-resort/
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:53 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I agree that Caribbean has unbelievable value that time of the year...

Let's take Amanera for example...You can book in June for 5 nights or more under Season of Discovery and starts around $1,040++/night. Sure, it's more than the 800/night budget (are you referring to EU or USD?) but it's inclusive of full board so you're probably not too far from it but I think tax is another 27% or so, though. Point being, great value in the Caribbean.

No good cities but maybe just stop in an EU city along the way.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:27 am

I did say in my previous post that the Caribbean lacked cities. Well, OK, it doesn't have Paris but San Juan has a marvellous old quarter and a great fortress; Havana is one of the most extraordinary cities I've ever seen; Santo Domingo and Cartagena have stunning colonial architecture and restaurant cultures. There is also Kingston (Jamaica), Port of Spain (Trinidad) and Port au Prince (Haiti) and these are probably a bit too iffy for most people. Other islands merely have large towns and huge cruise terminals.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by francophile
This came also to my mind. Another option could be Mallorca or even Barcelona. For 1 1/2 week European destinations could be a good option.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:36 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I don't think you necessarily need to leave Europe.
If you did, I'd probably choose St Barts over some of the other quieter Caribbean islands. Havana has been mentioned (and is incredible), but the beach close by isn't anything special.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
How about Miami? It has beach & it is a city.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Rio is quite pleasant in June. Temps are usually around mid-20s during the day, and humidity is quite a bit less than during Southern Summer. I've heard good things about the Belmond and Fairmont properties there, but not stayed. Most recent stay was at the Grand Hyatt in Barra when it had just opened. It is a nice high-end chain hotel, but not exactly luxury, and a bit further out from the main areas of Copacabana/Ipanema (although I personally prefer the Barra area for being a bit quieter).

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Jan 29, 2020 at 9:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.