Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People who stay in many luxury hotels every month

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Not in the travel industry, I just like to travel. 2019 was 103 Flights for ~182,586 BIS miles. When I travel, I like nice hotels (when available). I used to try to slum it and go backpacking, searching out $30/night "value" places when I was younger, but now I am old and cranky and it's nice to come back to a comfortable room with a nice bed (and ideally a deep soaking tub) and staff that are willing to help you and do whatever little things need taking care of. That's not to say I won't go off the beaten path and stay in a dump if that's all that's available in a place I want to visit, but if there's a nice option I am likely to choose it over the budget pick these days.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF CL
I’m not in the travel industry. I’m a mergers & acquisitions lawyer who retired young to focus on family, not-for-profits and non-executive roles. My travel was therefore intensive for work in the past and is now purely for leisure: a mix of family trips, girls’ trips and the occasional rare getaway with my husband. Now that my travel is just for fun, I love absolutely every part of it, including getting there! Apart from security, I love airports. I remember in the old days of travel from Australia to Europe as a child, when Qantas made two stops en route, being transfixed by the experience of getting off the plane in Bahrain and seeing such a diverse mass of people. I still love that sense, which I’ve never lost, that airports are the crossroads of the world and I think they are the best place to people-watch, even if I mostly head straight for the first class lounge these days. The majority of my travel is luxury hotels or private villas, because if it’s not going to be nicer than home, I’ll just be annoyed when I get there. That said, I’m still destination-driven rather than hotel-driven for the most part.
HKTraveler, BESVISOR and LinLant like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:26 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I’m not in the travel industry. I’m a mergers & acquisitions lawyer who retired young to focus on family, not-for-profits and non-executive roles. My travel was therefore intensive for work in the past and is now purely for leisure: a mix of family trips, girls’ trips and the occasional rare getaway with my husband. Now that my travel is just for fun, I love absolutely every part of it, including getting there! Apart from security, I love airports. I remember in the old days of travel from Australia to Europe as a child, when Qantas made two stops en route, being transfixed by the experience of getting off the plane in Bahrain and seeing such a diverse mass of people. I still love that sense, which I’ve never lost, that airports are the crossroads of the world and I think they are the best place to people-watch, even if I mostly head straight for the first class lounge these days. The majority of my travel is luxury hotels or private villas, because if it’s not going to be nicer than home, I’ll just be annoyed when I get there. That said, I’m still destination-driven rather than hotel-driven for the most part.

Rare to come across those who love airports

I am a bit of the same. If I'm at a nice airport, i.e. SIN, HND, HKG, ICN, etc...I really enjoy getting out of the lounge and do some exploring. Don't mind leaving the hotel bit earlier to go enjoy the airport/lounge. But who doesn't love SIN? LOL!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not in the travel industry, but on expenses 200ish days a year and choose to shift my rent and then some to my personal hotel budget for the rest.

My employers will usually only cover true luxury on the margin, but I’m happy to either pay up and/ or make sure I’m somewhere nice on the weekends. So many people in my business try working for 2-3 years and save almost all their income and are miserable doing it. They then bank their savings and run away. I choose to instead save a bit less but instead live a life which makes me dread the alternative.

After 15 years of something roughly like this I’m actually less luxury focused than I used to be, but more appreciate of the simple things like a comfortable bed and generous, efficient service. I’m currently in Bangkok’s SGS and it’s easily the most comfortable place I’ve been since I was last here 9 months ago, despite it not even ranking in the top 20 by cost.
HKTraveler and ridefar like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As to me, I am not in the travel industry so I pay for my trips myself.
Most people in the travel industry pay for their own trips. Depending what you do in the industry there may be discounts. If you are a travel agent who is a big producer you get free invites.

I have a number of travel industry friends. If they don't work for an airlines or are a travel agent, they get no special deals. Unless they are an agent or work for a hotel company, as I understand it.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not in the travel industry, but on expenses 200ish days a year and choose to shift my rent and then some to my personal hotel budget for the rest.

My employers will usually only cover true luxury on the margin, but I’m happy to either pay up and/ or make sure I’m somewhere nice on the weekends. So many people in my business try working for 2-3 years and save almost all their income and are miserable doing it. They then bank their savings and run away. I choose to instead save a bit less but instead live a life which makes me dread the alternative.

After 15 years of something roughly like this I’m actually less luxury focused than I used to be, but more appreciate of the simple things like a comfortable bed and generous, efficient service. I’m currently in Bangkok’s SGS and it’s easily the most comfortable place I’ve been since I was last here 9 months ago, despite it not even ranking in the top 20 by cost.
Do you work for a one of those smaller/independent professional/consulting firms that have less bureaucracy (where everyone is like "family") and one of the partners or higher ups who have significant decision making authority by any chance?

How do you file your expense reports? Do you usually get a quote for the lower priced properties first and then submit your expense report based on those?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm independent/ in the process of starting my own firm. I don't usually have a set expense policy to follow, but go with the principle of what's reasonable for my client and I cover the rest. If you treat your client's money with fairness and respect you're less likely to have awkward conversations about expenses.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I'm independent/ in the process of starting my own firm. I don't usually have a set expense policy to follow, but go with the principle of what's reasonable for my client and I cover the rest. If you treat your client's money with fairness and respect you're less likely to have awkward conversations about expenses.
This is right. I (would) never pass on extravagant expenses (of which these hotels would be) to my fund, even if the trip is fund related.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
This is right. I (would) never pass on extravagant expenses (of which these hotels would be) to my fund, even if the trip is fund related.
Likewise.

I'm the one tasked with traveling, so it's F & whatever hotels I want. But, there's an unspoken agreement with my Partners that whatever expenses incurred on Firm business will be reflected in a marginally higher bonus for me when we divvy up. I'm tasked to travel mostly because I'm the only one who actually prefers to get away from home periodically. Unlike many, I just require stretches (a week here and there) where I'm alone and in a place made up of only acquaintances and strangers.

So, I welcome the travel, really.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Thumbs up

That's why I refuse to work for larger firms.

My partners all know I love to fly F and stay at luxury hotels! I usually get a quote for a Sheraton/Marriott or equivalent and use that as a guideline for claiming expenses (even though I stay at a nicer place).
Old Dec 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Not in the travel industry either. Used to travel loads, i.e. almost weekly, for work and it was company paid F/J and whichever hotels I like. Got to see and try many hotels over the years, especially in Asia, but traveling was still a hassle back then. Guess the luxury made up for the stress and pressure of work

Retired a few years ago to spend time and focus on my family. Nowadays all trips are for fun! Long trips are always with family and I also take many solo trips especially for food and to Japan. Probably average a trip every 1.5 moths or so. While I am a big fan of luxury hotels, those are secondary to experiences and destinations. Have done many experiential trips over the years from photography classes, cooking school, poker academy, driving trip in rural China, hiking in Japan, northern lights and ice hotel, wildlife in Galapagos, Machu Picchu, barge trip, Disney World, big island Hawaii .... Once an experience or destination has been picked, then I find the best hotel available. Food is important to me too and I often travel for food these days!

Last edited by HKTraveler; Dec 28, 2019 at 12:57 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:49 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Not in the travel industry, I am actually a housewife and travelling, including planning, is my hobby. I have a passion for luxury hotels, but can enjoy other kinds of hotels as well. While I have travelled "just" for the hotel, I do find the location the most important and spend lots of time reserching what to do/see and where to eat as well as where to stay. I absolutely hate the travel part of my trips, and try to sleep as much as possible in airplanes. A flat seat is a must nowaways. Earlier I was more flexible, but those days are over. We go on intercontinental trips 2-3 times a year and travel within Europe or within Norway around 10-12 times a year, meaning I will be staying in a hotel every month.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:31 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Musken
Not in the travel industry, I am actually a housewife and travelling, including planning, is my hobby. I have a passion for luxury hotels, but can enjoy other kinds of hotels as well. While I have travelled "just" for the hotel, I do find the location the most important and spend lots of time reserching what to do/see and where to eat as well as where to stay. I absolutely hate the travel part of my trips, and try to sleep as much as possible in airplanes. A flat seat is a must nowaways. Earlier I was more flexible, but those days are over. We go on intercontinental trips 2-3 times a year and travel within Europe or within Norway around 10-12 times a year, meaning I will be staying in a hotel every month.
What she said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.