Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Hotel Lanai at Koele, A Sensei Retreat

Old Dec 17, 19, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Rosewood Elite, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.

After a massive two-year renovation, Four Seasons recently opened Lanai at Koele, A Sensei Retreat. I had the opportunity to meet with the hotel manager for a tour of the property, and the results are incredible. They have turned the retreat into a lush and tropical masterpiece that is totally focused on providing the best experience in luxury wellness. Here are some of the details as well as a few pictures from my visit:

- Before arrival, guests work with a dedicated Sensei Guide to develop a custom itinerary. The uniquely crafted itineraries are entirely fluid and adaptable, and focus on three practices - movement, nourishment, and rest. Movement is how we interact with our environment, nourishment is what fuels us, and rest is how we recover and grow. These practices are the basis for the programming, and integrating elements from each of them leads to a balance that is at the heart of the Sensei philosophy.

- All 96 rooms and suites are ready for occupancy, however, to be sure the experience is exceptional from the open, they are only allowing 10 rooms to be occupied through the end of the year. In January they will add another 10, and they only expect to allow occupancy to run at around ~ 30% through next year. This will give them time to learn and fine tune, while also providing a world-class experience for every guest.

- The nightly rate is all-inclusive, literally. Including round trip luxury charter flights on Lanai Air, on-island transportation, all dining & beverages (except for a few ultra premium spirits), treatments, classes, activities including golf, ocean activities, hiking, horseback riding, archery & shooting, UTV tour, the new Adventure Park with ziplines, ropes courses, access to FS Lanai beach resort, and more.

- The Sensei by Nobu restaurant offers indoor and outdoor seating, as well as options to eat poolside, in-room, or in a private spa hale. The customized wellness menu is unique to the property and has been created by Chef Nobu and his team in close collaboration with Sensei’s nutritionists.

- Spa treatments are in gorgeous private hales with everything you would need… indoor and outdoor treatment areas, saunas, indoor and outdoor showers, Japanese ofuro bathtubs, outdoor plunge pools, water features, Watsu pools, and more.

- There are amazing works of art everywhere, including works of renowned contemporary artists, as well as works of art commissioned exclusively for the property, all intended to stimulate thought and reflection.

Four Seasons Hotel Lanai at Koele, A Sensei Retreat is a lush and tropical world-class property, and is the perfect spot for those looking for the ultimate luxury wellness experience, with plenty of opportunities for adventure. Finally, if you want to feel like you practically have the retreat all to yourself, I recommend that you try to visit soon.

Good to know: Roundtrip luxury charter flights on Lanai Air are included for all guests. FS Koele guests also have access to FS Lanai amenities. The minimum stay is three nights while seven night vacations are highly recommended to maximize the experience.
Attached Images           
FlyerEC, Nizar, BESVISOR and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 1:09 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Thanks for sharing !!
Looks amazing.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 1:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Thanks for the update - been interested/curious about this one.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 6:35 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
Thank you!! Great to see and love having another option on Lanai!!
KristenNix likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Koele looks absolutely amazing, but my eyes have never watered so hard at the price: $4000/night, 3-night minimums apply. The other Four Seasons Lanai at Manele Bay now seems like a downright bargain in comparison...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: United
Got a chance to experience the grounds at this place first hand during our Christmas stay at the beach side FS Lanai.

What a beauty...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/h05c4p
Old Dec 30, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
It seems that, for the near future, the main group of people enjoying parts of this new resort are the hoi-polloi from the Manale Bay location.

Since I'm visiting in a few weeks, and am firmly ensconced in the hoi-polloi, I approve!

Now, the only question is if the new Lodge experience displaces the cat sanctuary as the #2 thing to do on Lana'i, as reported by Trip Advisor. Based on the price, I think the cat sanctuary is safe for a while.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Koele looks absolutely amazing, but my eyes have never watered so hard at the price: $4000/night, 3-night minimums apply. The other Four Seasons Lanai at Manele Bay now seems like a downright bargain in comparison...
At that price why wouldn’t I just add 3 hours of flying and go to the Brando???

There is literally nothing about the bedroom pictured that says $4k a night to me. Yes yes value is relative. But get a grip Larry. (I assume the property is still owned by Mr Ellison?) I guess it is fair to say I am not the target demographic: rich Americans afraid to leave the county?
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
At that price why wouldn’t I just add 3 hours of flying and go to the Brando???

There is literally nothing about the bedroom pictured that says $4k a night to me. Yes yes value is relative. But get a grip Larry. (I assume the property is still owned by Mr Ellison?) I guess it is fair to say I am not the target demographic: rich Americans afraid to leave the county?
FWIW, it's a different sort of appeal. I have (unfortunately) not been to the Brando, but if we make a comparison to Koele (the analogous comparison being properties on the motu in Bora Bora to FS Lanai at Manele Bay), it's not all that unreasonable to imagine.
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
FWIW, it's a different sort of appeal. I have (unfortunately) not been to the Brando, but if we make a comparison to Koele (the analogous comparison being properties on the motu in Bora Bora to FS Lanai at Manele Bay), it's not all that unreasonable to imagine.
So it’s kind of like being over charged to fly business class on a NA airline? It is objectively bad value but at least it’s not economy and no maybe it’s not an F class suite on Emirates but it is clearly way better than economy (with Honolulu being economy in this analogy)? Did I understand you correctly?
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
This pricing model already exists for cruises as well. Regent offers an all inclusive “luxury” product which is often 4x the cost of the top tier “premium” product. It makes no sense for my family, but it has an appeal for a segment of the market.

Neither Lanai and Manele are operating as profit centers for Ellison, instead they exist to attract homeowners and private investment to the island. Home buyers and developers is where he will make his money. As a hotel, I don’t think Lanai is financially successful. The times I’ve been, three in total, it was very quiet with low occupancy and they didn’t lower the rates. Once the community of homes is developed and sold, unless a new incentive arises, Ellison won’t keep pouring money into the hotels to the same degree he is now.
Old Jan 1, 20, 3:55 pm
Original Member

I wouldn’t assume Ellison needs to get a return on investment.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KristenNix View Post
Good to know: Roundtrip luxury charter flights on Lanai Air are included for all guests.
I'm curious why you call Lanai Air "luxury."

The "luxury charter flights" are on a single engine PC-12 - cabin height 4 ft 10 inches, door is 4 ft. 5 inches, so duck - For more perspective, cabin width is 5 feet.

Depending on the operator six seats is comfortable once you are seated, but there are 8 and 9 seat versions that will make you wish you were on an all economy class regional barbie jet.

It's also single engine, which some people don't love. Certainly not like Larry's G650s.

A nice plane for short hops but not seeing it as luxury. Makes me wonder even more about the value of 4k per night for a non suite?
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:38 pm

We visited the hotel for a tour and lunch while staying at FS Manele Bay in November. Honestly, the rooms were disappointing for the rates they’re trying to charge and even the suites weren’t impressive. Rooms were small at ~400ish sf and while the furnishings looked high quality, they just did not feel special (except for the suite bathroom - beautifully done). The grounds were beautiful but the landscaping still needs at least a year to mature. Lunch at Nobu was average - the Manele one was much better. Obviously didn’t get to try the spa / fitness classes but they better be extraordinary to justify these rates...
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I wouldn’t assume Ellison needs to get a return on investment.
Even wealthy people, perhaps especially wealthy people, are focused on a return on investment.

Sometimes the return on investment is not monetary. For example, if you are wealthy and often discriminated against (think scene in Crazy Rich Asians) you might buy a hotel to feel comfortable while traveling. As wealthy as Ellison is, the purchase of this island is more likely a long term strategic investment very much focused on a return on investment. Like all developers, he will invest heavily to attract other stake holders, build the community to do so, and then gradually sell this same joy and responsibility to the new owners. The opening of the Lanai lodge, and the prices they are asking, sounds like the apex of Ellison’s investment. The same people that buy the Four Seasons chartered jet journeys would be guests at this lodge.

To account for part of the outsized cost, keep in mind that Lanai is gorgeous but the difficulty in finding and retaining highly trained team members is hard to overstate. There is so
little to provide a stable life for families, challenging school system and medical care, even getting groceries is a huge ordeal, immediately come to mind, that you have to provide outsized salaries and career opportunities. Working on Lanai is akin to joining the military forces and being stationed in an albeit gorgeous foreign country. I’m an attorney and see law firms do this when opening new offices. If a new office opens in a challenging environment, the firm will offer fast track to partner and or a significantly higher salary to incentivize the talented people to move.

When I go to Lanai I make a special effort to be kind to the hard working members of the team and let them know how much I appreciate them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: